respecting differences of opinions...?

Kallison, isn't this the second time you've posted about being upset over this forum? I think the last time you said it actually made you cry. I suggest you leave the forum. What good is it doing you?
yesss...same forum (and, i must say, i am quite shocked people remember my other post!). and other than these two times of completely ticking me off, it's fun over there. sort of. but i've been there for SO long (5 or 6 years), so it's like that bad relationship you can't seem to end because you just have too much put into it, you know?

and i KNOW it's stupid and i know it's just a forum. i rationally know that, i really do. (i may be uber emotional, but not that bad).

i guess my problem is that I'M always the one who is wrong, I'M always the one who is basically forced to not be vocal- because of crap like this...

aarrrggh. i feel like i'm back in highschool.

Is this your religious forum? If so, such situations are best avoided. If people don't think they may be incorrect in their thinking, or are not amenable to different viewpoints it IS time to move on.

Diversity is what makes humans interesting, and people must be prepared to live with it. If everyone had the same mindframe and views on everything, people would be like slices of processed cheese - all uniformly packaged and alike.
it's not that i don't think their opinions are valid. they are more than allowed to believe whatever they want. but it's that they FLAT OUT REFUSE to hear the "other side" of the argument, kwim? i was raised to have my own opinion- but ALWAYS learn about the other side and understand where that person is coming from...but i guess that's totally off base and ridiculous.

is everything in life really so black and white? cause i am definately not seeing it that way...

I remembered your first post regarding this other forum instantly and thought, "move on, deovote yourself to something that is productive and makes you feel good". Just MHO :shame:

well...last time i figured it was sort of a one time argument. and, seriously, from then until now, the forum has been pretty great. i have fairly decent bonds with some of these people and i would hate to just jump ship...but i'm starting to think that's what i need to do.

Well if this other forum is also important to you and it's a semi-isolated incident, can you PM the other person and try to let them know, gently, that the opinions de-value yours, etc and that you would appreciate it if they showed a bit more consideration?

Well if this other forum is also important to you and it's a semi-isolated incident, can you PM the other person and try to let them know, gently, that the opinions de-value yours, etc and that you would appreciate it if they showed a bit more consideration?
i've tried. and her repsonse was "truth isn't subjective".

blah.

stupid forum. i give up on it.

Kallison, you're my tPF friend, and I can't imagine that you would hold beliefs that are abhorrent to reasonable people--you're a good, kind person. I remember the previous post too, and wonder if it's time to let this relationship go. Sometimes we need to. They sound narrow-minded; I'd ask you if the pain this causes outweighs whatever payoff there is for being a member there. For myself, it would be toxic to me to stay; I'd have to leave. Read over what the posters here have said and decide what's best for you. (((hugs)))

Kallison, you're my tPF friend, and I can't imagine that you would hold beliefs that are abhorrent to reasonable people--you're a good, kind person. I remember the previous post too, and wonder if it's time to let this relationship go. Sometimes we need to. They sound narrow-minded; I'd ask you if the pain this causes outweighs whatever payoff there is for being a member there. For myself, it would be toxic to me to stay; I'd have to leave. Read over what the posters here have said and decide what's best for you. (((hugs)))
it's not an unreasonable belief. i won't say it here (like i said before, it would cause debates, i'm sure)...but let's just say i have liberal beliefs and think EVERYBODY is equal. period.

and it's starting to just get under my skin. like, why do i want these people who make me feel like this?! why? i mean, god, i always thought i was a nice, reasonable person...but suddenly i feel like EVERYTHING is totally wrong and i'm just doomed...

:sad:

it's not an unreasonable belief. i won't say it here (like i said before, it would cause debates, i'm sure)...but let's just say i have liberal beliefs and think EVERYBODY is equal. period.

and it's starting to just get under my skin. like, why do i want these people who make me feel like this?! why? i mean, god, i always thought i was a nice, reasonable person...but suddenly i feel like EVERYTHING is totally wrong and i'm just doomed...

:sad:

I don't know whether you should quit the forum or not, but I do know one thing: 'Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent'. (Famous and true quote by Eleanor Roosevelt).

I got off the phone yesterday with a very good friend of mine feeling annoyed. My friend is a serious agnostic. He has his own strict ideas about religious issues. My policy being live and let live, we ended up having a conversation that made me downright uncomfortable.

I told him at that the conversation should stop at that point because we were just getting angry at each other. And I tld him I didn't want to discuss the matter any further with him. We hung up still annoyed at each other. I just plan to give him a week or so breathing room, and then talk to him and stay on safer topics.