Regional Word Differences

TravelBug said:
I hear ya! I have the same challenge when I go to England. I was telling my colleagues a story of lost luggage and how the stupid airline would only give me $50 US. Except everything I was wearing I had nothing. I had a client meeting so I had to go buy a pair of dress pants, and I went on telling them how I couldn't find a nice pair of pants for less than $50 in London, and how was I going to meet my client without nice pants? Until one of them stopped me and said 'just to clarify, by pants you mean these (he pointed to his jeans), and I was like, of course! They all laughed and told me in England pants mean panties, underwear! My face turned bright red and I was laughing hysterically.

Travelbug...I still can't say "pants"...it just sounds weird to me, we say trousers...
.and the weirdest thing... in England we do not call handbags "purses". A purse is just the female version of a wallet, just for money and cards etc. And Im still not getting what a pocket book is. Is it another name for wallet?

shoegalalabama said:
Travelbug...I still can't say "pants"...it just sounds weird to me, we say trousers...
.and the weirdest thing... in England we do not call handbags "purses". A purse is just the female version of a wallet, just for money and cards etc. And Im still not getting what a pocket book is. Is it another name for wallet?

Although "pocket book" started out to mean a specific kind of small handbag (with no handles) that opens w/hinges -- sort of like a book. Now, though, people use it to describe any kind of small handbag/purse.

Kat said:
In NY we call a deli sandwich on italian bread a "hero" or "wedge." Other places I've been call them "hoagies."

We do? I live on Long Island, and I have never heard of a deli sandwich referred to as a "wedge." What part of NY do you live in? I'm a bit troubled by the fact that I have never heard of a "wedge." :shame: :P

I am originally from Wisconsin and I was going to use the bubbler example. I still call a drinking fountain the bubbler! I had no idea that bubbler was so state exclusive.

Also, people often would end a sentence with "in so". "In so" means "isn't that right". For example, The movie starts at 9pm, in so?

shoegalalabama said:

Yup - I got that one too. Someone gave me a hard time for calling my purse 'purse'. He was trying to tell me a purse is a wallet and what I called a purse should be called a handbag. I was like 'whatever, but I like the pants you are wearing!':lol: :lol:

Sherri S. said:
For instance, I moved from Minnesota, where I grew up, to Texas. In one of the first restaurants we went to, I remember being so frustrated because I couldn't get an answer to my question, "What kind of pop do you have?" The waitress kept asking, "Hon, ya mean what kinda Coke?" and I kept answering, "No, I don't want a Coke. What kinds of pop do you have?" [In MN, we called it "pop" or "soda pop." In TX, everything was "Coke" - even rootbeer, orange, etc.

Too funny!!! I'm orig from the South and we said Coke for everything too. It was just understood I guess, "What kind of Coke do you want?" We said "y'all" alot ( I still do, haven't lost my accent yet), and "reckon." I also say "I'm fixin' to go get something to eat." My husband still makes fun of me and has to have me repeat some things. Oh yea, instead of "for" he tells me I pronounce it "fir.".....so what??!! Ha~