RANT! So when your mother says she'll treat you to something . . .

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
does it usually mean 'something she approves of?' I just had this big fight with my mother (well, not big. I snapped at her a couple of times and stormed off) because she said we could have a coffee or something. I told her I was kind of in the mood for a chicken caesar salad and she tells me she won't pay for it because it's too late in the day for one. (I drop the matter).

We go into a coffee shop and I order a cookie (the whole time she's hinting we could split something) and she gets a butter tart. She orders a decaf coffee and the counterperson walks away to get it. I half mutter that I hope she comes back because I wanted an iced latte.

My mom suspiciously goes, "Does it have sugar in it?" When I said it was almond, she tells me she is not going to pay for it because . . . something about me drinking enough sugary drinks when I worked at Starbucks for six months. Then she finishes by saying, "That's not a good choice."

Did she NOT see how pissed off I got at her when she questioned my choice of Swedish meatballs at Ikea yesterday!?!?!? Is there something wrong with her or is she just stupid!?!?!?!

I probably should've just ordered it without mentioning the fact that I wanted it but imagine the crap she would've given me! And I'm not going to give in just to keep peace any more. I've done that enough. She needs to learn that if I want an almond latte, I'm getting a f:cursing: cking almond latte!

And it's such a stupid thing to be arguing about and it's the stupidest thing to ruin an afternoon over, but my mother is just that damned nitpicky and petty that she would ruin an afternoon over that very thing!

I'm surprised she was willing to be seen with me in public, because she has said once that I was at one time so overweight that she was embarrassed to be seen with me.

That's motherly love right there, people!

Mothers!! I think they are put on earth to drive us crazy! I don't see how her logic makes any sence. It's ok to have a cookie which is full of sugar, but an almond latte is out of the question?? Hopefully she is leaving soon, so you can have some peace.

PinkSuadeSoho said:
Maybe she is jealous of your relationship you have with your Father?
She thinks my dad's too easy on me and he lets me get away with murder.

But my mother's the type of person who thinks that if things aren't done her way, then they're not done right. She thinks she needs to step in and control every aspect of my life. (She also sees what's wrong with me before she sees me.)

My dad, on the other hand, sees me and then acknowledges I have some things in my life I need to work on.

My mom will see me and say, "There's my daughter who's really overweight." My dad will see me and say, "There's my daughter. She may have to lose weight, but she's my daughter."

My dad was married before he married my mom, and when he first met my mom, he told her that no matter what, his children will always come first. Spouses may divorce you, but your children will always be your children. He decided that after he divorced his first wife.

My mom seemed to forget that until he brought it up recently.

caitlin1214 said:
I'm surprised she was willing to be seen with me in public, because she has said once that I was at one time so overweight that she was embarrassed to be seen with me.
She said that to you?? :wtf: Oh my gosh, that's so mean. I have a great relationship with my parents, so I don't know how it feels not to get along with parents, but I'm genuinely sorry your mom is mean to you :sad:

tw1n8ngel said:
She said that to you?? :wtf: Oh my gosh, that's so mean. I have a great relationship with my parents, so I don't know how it feels not to get along with parents, but I'm genuinely sorry your mom is mean to you :sad:
Yeah, she sees it as it needing to be said and that it's the truth. I say she's just being a *****.

tw1n8ngel said:

I've been overweight since I was 12- I have a chronic medical condition that just makes it easier for me to gain weight.

Despite knowing this, my family does the same thing that your mom does, too (one notable example: being called the Goodyear Blimp). I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I'm 27 and my family still does it. All I can say is try to limit how much time you spend with her, and good for you for deciding to eat what you want! It's emotionally scarring to know that a parent can judge you so openly. Does your mom have food issues?

And thank goodness that your dad puts you first. That kind of unconditional love is crucial when other family members are toxic.