Food Rachel Ray Drives Me Crazy!!

Well, I USED to like her but she has become annoying to me also.

To the person who said she was a B in real life. I can kinda see it. She has that Martha Stewartish I am a psycho but hide it really well quality.

She's ok. Annoying perky, but I have to admit that I have made some thirty minute meals and not only did I like them, but my picky DH and even more picky step son did too. And if she can help me make meals that are fast and please everyone, I'll grin and bear the evoo and yum-o (although "yum-o" really, really gets under my skin)!

For anyone who really enjoys a good snark, I recommend the TelevisionWithoutPity forums if you haven't already found them. RayRay's haters and fans are legion and they all come there to praise or to vent. You can find the index for the "How-To Reality shows" Forums here:
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showforum=662

Whoever or whatever you hate (or love) on TV, there's a place to express yourself - they take the "Without Pity" part very seriously though. RayRay is well out in front of most of the other shows and/or hosts with more than 13,000 posts, but she has a LONG way to go to catch "SLoP", the Forum leader (who isn't even listed with the amateurs but has an entire category at the very top of the board all to herself), the inhumanly incompetant Sandra Lee.

The unofficial TWP forum motto is "If you can't say something nice... you've come to the right place". But there are places there where you'll find a kinder, gentler forum. The only Food Network resident I can stand to watch anymore, Alton Brown, gets almost no zings or snarks at the Good Eats thread. Which is as it should be. :supacool: YOU ROCK, AB !!!

She drives me crazy too! A good friend of mine met her, and he says she is a BI-YATCH in real life. I guess all that sugar-sweet perky BS is just for the camera!

Agreed. I knew someone who met her, too...she's definitely NOT pleasant.

I admit that I did laugh when I heard she got bit by a small dog...I'm so mean. :shame:

This piece came from www.ruhlman.com, the blog of the author Michael Ruhlman (who co-wrote 'The french laundy cookbook' with Thomas Keller). It's written by the former chef of Les Halles and present TV personality, Tony Bourdain.

RACHAEL
: Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough. She’s a friendly, familiar face who appears regularly on our screens to tell us that “Even your dumb, lazy ass can cook this!” Wallowing in your own crapulence on your Cheeto-littered couch you watch her and think, “Hell…I could do that. I ain’t gonna…but I could--if I wanted! Now where’s my damn jug a Diet Pepsi?” Where the saintly Julia Child sought to raise expectations, to enlighten us, make us better--teach us--and in fact, did, Rachael uses her strange and terrible powers to narcotize her public with her hypnotic mantra of Yummo and Evoo and Sammys. “You’re doing just fine. You don’t even have to chop an onion--you can buy it already chopped. Aspire to nothing…Just sit there. Have another Triscuit…Sleep….sleep….”

On $40/day, her tipping is horrendous. I hope that is just to make the budget come out.

OMG so true!!! I caught the end of her $40 a day show and she tipped the server $1??? :cursing: :rolleyes: BF and I literally yelped out loud.

I think she's very down to earth and I like that about her. We're also about the same age and similar figures in a way too, so I guess I can identify.

But I can't stand the EVOO thang. It's like she was told she had to come up with a trademark lingo and it just falls flat every time.

Now she is on every triscuit and wheat thins box so it creeps me out seeing her repeated over and over in the grocery store aisle...:nuts:

I love her 30 min meals cookbook but it does take more than 30 minutes. Cute gimmick, though.

I had never watched her show until today and she is a little annoying but the commericals help. Also, I did notice she can be rude when she mentioned the her guest was wearing a "tent" shirt she didn't have to say it to her face. A bit on the brash side she tries to keep it in check though JMO.

I've gone through a phase of liking her, then feeling irritated by her and now I don't mind her since I only watch the reruns of $40 a Day. I don't watch 30 minute meals or her chat show, because that's just too much of her.

The photoshoot was horrible, I couldn't believe what she was wearing in the kitchen, I felt a bit quesy (sp?) and yeah, the strawberry in her mouth, YUCK!! I bet she felt flattered being asked to do the photoshoot.

I don't want to see anything unkind about her because she seems like a nice person, but I think I can only take her in small doses, because it just seems like she is EVERYWHERE and has a strong personality. Another thing is that I'm not buying into the 30 minute meals anymore because for one, the ingredients are not things you always have on hand and it ends up being expensive to buy everything and it ONLY takes under 30 minutes if you are an advanced cook!
ITA with everything you said. It may be under 30 minutes for someone as whirlwind and manic as Rachel, but not me. It takes me 5-10 minutes just to chop an onion! I'm sure she's nice, but man, I get tired just watching and listening to her.