Food Questions for Kitchenaid stand mixer owners!

My Mom gave me hers years ago. I love it. I make cookies and mashed potato most often with it. Probably use it 2-3 times/week. And I have made bread with it...fabulous.

Don't know the size or specs. And I can add that if you have kids/nieces/nephews/friends, they can bake with you without a big mess. My kids started standing on chairs at the counter and turning the mixer on and off (supervised, of course) by age 2. They both love it.

1) What do you use your stand mixer for?
I use mine for making cakes, cookies, frosting, bread, choux pastry (which I make fairly often, oddly) and any other assorted recipes that require mixing.

2) How often do you use it?
A few times a week, unless I'm making lots of cookies or cupcakes for a party or something like that.

3) Do you like it? If not -- why not?
I love it! It's my favorite kitchen appliance.

4) Is it easy to clean and maintain?
Very. As many have said, just toss the bowl & the white attachments in the dishwasher. I hand wash my whisk attachment.

5) Do you heartily recommend any of the optional attachments?
I only have the standard ones, but after reading the comments I'm going to get the grater attachment! I grate a lot of cheese.

I have the red Artisan. The only problem we have had with it is that the mixing head was kind of loose and wobbly when we first got it. We flipped it over and figured we could just tighten the screw there. After tightening it, it works perfectly.

I feel lame. I've had mine for over a year and it's still in the box. wedding shower gift. oh, yes, I did register for it. it's just that once i got it, i didn't know what to do with it...

woa! looks like im not the only one with all these questions i was bout to make a thread but i did a search first!
i have all your same questions! lol but ive read all the pages, and it looks like i got an answer, I love the one in PINK! but can some1 post a pic of the real pink cuz im afraid it looks weird !

The two I have are white and I wish I had the pink. I have seen it in the stores and it's a soft pleasant shade of pink. I didn't find it weird it all. Hopefully, somebody here has a pink and can post a pic for you.

I LOVE my kitchen aid stand mixer! I've got the cinnamon color and I use it a few times a week for everything! For cakes, cookies, pizza dough, bread and anything else you can use a mixer for! I also have the icecream maker attachment bowl and the meat grinder attachment. Will be getting the juicer next! It also came with the plastic cover for the bowl to add ingredients and not splatter all over the kitchen. So easy to clean, just remove attachement and wipe down the mixer with a damp cloth and it's clean! It is sooo worth the money you will love it once you get it! I had a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond when I bought it with my hubby which was great!

Bumping this thread. I'm considering buying a KA stand mixer, and I find this thread super helpful. Here (IT) it costs beetween 400-500+ euros, dipending on colors. Also, we rent ATM and don't have much counter top space. I cook everyday and also like baking once a week. DH enjoys making homemade bread and I'm venturing into homemade pasta.
Do you think it's worth it (considering its cost here)? My sister recently purchased a Thermomix (called Bimby here) - she uses it ALL THE TIME, daily but my DH still rolles his eyes as such expensive kitchen appliance.

I haven't used mine yet as I haven't been able to have it mailed to me.

However, my mother has had one for... About 20 years. The EXACT same one, in white, they haven't even changed the model. It looks exactly like my brand new pink one. And it still runs like new. So they definitely seem built to last.

She uses it for a ton of things. It has attachments for making pasta, food processing, stuffing homemade sausage, grinding meat, ect. Its great for time / consistency sensitive mixing jobs like home made macaroons or whip cream (though you can use a handheld for whipcream too). Or doing regular day to day baking.

I have a list of recipes to try out on it. And I plan to buy all the extra attachments and use those as well (like the meat grinder, sausage stuffer, ect).

@nillacobain, personally... I think it is worth 300-500euro. I have to admit, I nearly fell over seeing how much they cost here in Korea (if you convert it to USD, its well over $1,000.) But then I started thinking about it and after visiting multiple department stores and home goods stores... I haven't seen any competitor product similar to it. And with import considerations, the price makes sense. And if my mother's is anything to go buy, they're well made, multi-functional and last a long time. So I'd still say its worth it. Now, I'm not sure what competitor options you have available there?

@nillacobain, personally... I think it is worth 300-500euro. I have to admit, I nearly fell over seeing how much they cost here in Korea (if you convert it to USD, its well over $1,000.) But then I started thinking about it and after visiting multiple department stores and home goods stores... I haven't seen any competitor product similar to it. And with import considerations, the price makes sense. And if my mother's is anything to go buy, they're well made, multi-functional and last a long time. So I'd still say its worth it. Now, I'm not sure what competitor options you have available there?

Thank you - we're going for it. Just need to save a little bit more.

I totally recommend thae mixer for every kitchen. I use it all the time. Cakes, cookies, potatoes, did I say cookies :nuts: so easy to keep clean as its just a bowl and attachment that gets dirty! Takes out all the hard work for mixing ingredients I don't want to do by hand

Mine is shiny black, and we call it the Harley. :P I love it especially making cookies.. you can practically throw everything in at once and start it. I want to get the meat grinder attachment so I can grind my own hamburger out of roast beef.
I don't like the thought of what is in our ground beef, and my sons eat beef.

I do NOT bake "regularly" I was always just fine with my hand mixer, I was at my step moms house making my son's first bday cake, she had a really really old stand mixer. OMG it makes such a huge difference, to be able to mix while you throw in ingredients, it's something you don't realize how much it changes baking. If you bake atleast twice a month I would definitely say to get one!

1) What do you use your stand mixer for?

Mostly baking (cupcakes/cake/etc), but I have the ice cream attachment and I've made ice cream and frozen yogurt with it too. It's also good for making whipped cream to put on top of pancakes.

2) How often do you use it?

When I'm in baking mode, I use it every day. This happens like twice a year and lasts a month or so.

3) Do you like it? If not -- why not?

I love it. I just wish the bowl didn't take up so much space in the dish washer.

4) Is it easy to clean and maintain?

It's ok if you have a dish washer.

5) Do you heartily recommend any of the optional attachments?

The only extra attachment I have is the ice cream maker. It works well enough, but you really need to keep the ice cream mix in the fridge until it's nice and cold before you make ice cream. And if you don't have the AC on, forget about it. But if you follow all the rules properly, it makes really creamy ice cream.