Pros/Cons on Fendi Spy: deciding to get my first one

All design bags have problems somewhere along the line whether it LV or Gucci, Dior certainly has with its gaucho range.

I think Fendi has addressed the problem of fading in spys they are now coated so do not fade so easily. I save my spys for special occasions and would not use them to go shopping in the local supermarket.

Saich Really?

I take mine to the supermarket! but hey they get out about once a year though!

I am to afraid they would get damaged, so I am soooooooooo careful with them. I am a bit like Olga I love looking at them but do not use them that much. Saying that when I go to London will take the Chocolate spy.

Hee hee what are we all like! It's amazing how protective we get.

Yesterday was only my chocolates 3rd outing in almost a whole year! and that was for a couple of hours and back again. My white wisteria has been out once!!!!!!!

Sometimes I do feel - "why do I have these bags if I never take them out"...

Doesn't make me change my mind though! hee hee

I just got mine 3 days ago, but plan on using it all over. Although, I don't think I would take it out during a rain storm. You do have to be careful with pricey bags, but they should hold up to a certain amount of use.

My Balenciaga is a work horse and after months of throwing it around, the only problem was one tassel frayed. But I like it that way. And that went out in rain and snow, without a problem.

But my Spy is my love, and I want to have her for a really, really long time and then pass her to my daughter.

But my s/a in Neimans did say to pick from the new stock of Spys, not to take the light brown from last season. And she is really sturdy. So I'm in Purse Heaven.

I have a black spy, I'll post some pics later. It's an easy bag to carry, you can put a lot of stuff in it, but it has to be your style...I kind of regret buying it, since I'm more the frame-bag/rigid bag kinda girl, this one's just to slouchy for me.

I am to afraid they would get damaged, so I am soooooooooo careful with them. I am a bit like Olga I love looking at them but do not use them that much. Saying that when I go to London will take the Chocolate spy.

Saich, I wish I could be as gentle as you with my spys! I Love 'em to death, but I use 'em all the time! I got 'em both from ebay and neither of them came with dust bags. I gotta get something to put 'em in. I do give 'em the occassional break. Like today, I have my Miu Miu Coffer cos I wanted something hands-free cos it's freezin' in NYC. Wanna put the hands in the pockets, so I'm wearin' the coffer messenger style. Wish I had that option with the spy, but I'm not sure how the heck that'll look. If it gets a little warmer during the week, I'll be back with the spys.

All my spys will be coming with me on holiday this year to the US so they will have an outting then, but I now have hardly any room for my clothes in the suitcases because of the bags and I do not travel light......LOL I also have to take out extra insurance as would hate my luggage to get lost, that would be my worst nightmare.

I use my Spy every day, although I'm very over-protective of it on the tube. I just can't leave it at home!

I find it really easy to use: I can slip things into the top without having to open the flap. And today at the gym, I used the smaller secret compartment to store my jewellery!

This is a reintroduction of a controversial subject I read yesterday (fakes, replicas, & designer-inspired vs authentic) but I couldn't help commenting, based on some of the peculiar replies to Pwecious that I've read here today.

If the authentic bags are valued for being so well-made, would you find conditions like "spy having manufacturing problems...compartment fall off & break...a number of people have this problem...part that snaps shut comes loose...fades after awhile" acceptable? Wouldn't you expect more for your $s? I believe the main reason for buying the authentic product is quality, right?

2nd point: If some of those replicas were made by average workers, not children, in a healthy environment with quality control, would it not be economically feasible having these jobs available? Especially if there was the possibility that a $50 knock-off might hold up longer than the authentic version?

And if the latter is true, should it matter that the designer is "losing millions" over a sub-standard commodity? Does someone who produces such a flawed product be enabled to charge $2,000+ for something as inferior as what's been described here?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to start another war. Just that most of you have mentioned flaws of some sort or other....the types that I would find unacceptable in something I had paid so much for. I've also had some fine leather bags for years that cost far less, without sustaining any of the faults, fading, damage that several of you have listed here.

I'm just very curious. And by-the-way Pwecious, asking those questions regarding pros & cons before purchasing a "luxury" item are very valid ones. It was very wise of you to do so.
Mileing, your points about expectation of quality are valid, but your definition of "quality" may be too narrow. Quality manifests in many ways. Actual physical durability is one, but quality of aethetics is probably even more important to many of us. And the one singular "quality" that I value most which the knock-off industry can NEVER deliver is this: innovation. Many of us who buy designer bags do so to own a piece of art. It's art not only in the transporting original design, but in the quality of the leather. In your example you juxtapose a $50 knock-off with a $2000+ original. The disparity in the quality between these two products becomes apparent when you see and feel them side by side... and it has nothing to do with which bag has tighter screws holding parts together.

I don't believe that cheap knock-offs maintain their quality longer or deliver quality more consistently. It's just that they're cheap and no-one takes note when they fade or snag or break. They're simply tossed. I also believe that the problems with Spy bags are a little overstated. They exist, but most problems are taken care of by Fendi or the retailer. Most people never encounter problems at all. I don't use my Spys sparingly. I brutalize them, and they've held up remarkably well, and are still lovely pieces of portable art. I'd rather not pay this high price, but I don't know of a substitute that comes close, and I won't patronize counterfeiters.

I'm not sure which type of "knock-off" you're referring to when asking whether they can be justified in wresting revenues away from designer brands. If you're talking about knock-offs that are labeled as the real thing, then it's illegal, no matter how many mouths they feed. Pick-pocketing, insurance fraud, identify theft and telemarketing scams feed many mouths too, but they're still illegal. Those healthy factories with tight quality control, employing only adults, can do so just as well by putting their own name on the bags instead of Fendi's.

The only CON that I can think of is getting things in/out of the SPY. But after a while you get used to it. I guess it's really the same with any bag.:wlae:So, NO CONS then!:nuts:

Mileing, your points about expectation of quality are valid, but your definition of "quality" may be too narrow. Quality manifests in many ways. Actual physical durability is one, but quality of aethetics is probably even more important to many of us. And the one singular "quality" that I value most which the knock-off industry can NEVER deliver is this: innovation. Many of us who buy designer bags do so to own a piece of art. It's art not only in the transporting original design, but in the quality of the leather. In your example you juxtapose a $50 knock-off with a $2000+ original. The disparity in the quality between these two products becomes apparent when you see and feel them side by side... and it has nothing to do with which bag has tighter screws holding parts together.

I don't believe that cheap knock-offs maintain their quality longer or deliver quality more consistently. It's just that they're cheap and no-one takes note when they fade or snag or break. They're simply tossed. I also believe that the problems with Spy bags are a little overstated. They exist, but most problems are taken care of by Fendi or the retailer. Most people never encounter problems at all. I don't use my Spys sparingly. I brutalize them, and they've held up remarkably well, and are still lovely pieces of portable art. I'd rather not pay this high price, but I don't know of a substitute that comes close, and I won't patronize counterfeiters.

I'm not sure which type of "knock-off" you're referring to when asking whether they can be justified in wresting revenues away from designer brands. If you're talking about knock-offs that are labeled as the real thing, then it's illegal, no matter how many mouths they feed. Pick-pocketing, insurance fraud, identify theft and telemarketing scams feed many mouths too, but they're still illegal. Those healthy factories with tight quality control, employing only adults, can do so just as well by putting their own name on the bags instead of Fendi's.

Wow Deco, that was really beautifully said! You have a way with words. I mean, yourself and Mileing both have good points, but handbags as art... I Love it. That's really what it is when you think about it, huh? It's like a beautiful Rembrandt or Picasso piece. Then someone else comes along and copies it. Even if it's less fragile, holds up better, whatever, it's not the same.

I used to have to dig in the bag tryin' to find my wallet when I wanted to pay for something. That got tired real fast, so I got this wallet.
Zappos.com - Hobo International Noel
I wanted a wallet with a chain so I could link it to one of the spy handles. Now, when I wanna get some money out, it's right there. I also got a big cosmetic bag to put my smaller stuff in. Now I have nothing to complain about, LOL. Honestly, it would be nice if the spy had another interior pocket. It might even be more practical if the straps were longer. But, ya know what. It's really not a problem. I wouldn't change a thing. I've never flipped for a bag the way I've flipped for spys. Really, it's a great bag.:love:

Decophile - Thank you for broadening the definition of “quality” for me. And I agree; a well-made designer bag can be a wonderful work of art….I’ve purchased several of them myself, though not necessarily for that reason. However, if the “quality of aestheics is more important,” is it not true that it too is diminished when parts begin falling off, breaking, fading occurs, and the product basically becomes useless? Unless I’ve missed something, I believe your statement in that regard is at variance within itself (not to mention a bit elitist).

Regarding knock-offs, I’m neither condoning the practice of counterfeiting, nor was I referring to any particular type. BTW, I never mentioned putting anyone's name on anyone else's product, so am not going to bother with arguments regarding legality, or related issues that aren't relevant to the statements I made.

The point I was essentially trying to make was getting your money’s worth. As I just indicated, I’ve also purchased several designer bags. In most cases, they’ve held up well. I’ve also purchased non-designer bags which have held up much better than what was described by some of the Fendi Spy owners.

Speaking of the Fendi Spy owners, it was those I read of in this blog that evoked my thoughts & opinions. I would also like to point out that my questions & scenarios were purely hypothetical, as I prefer to avoid making assumptions, & speaking in absolutes or in a manner which has no logical basis.

For the quality, aesthetics, & functionality, I do not have a problem paying several thousand dollars because I know I’ll have something that will endure for as long as the bag holds my interest & needs. And in the event that it no longer serves me well, I don’t have a problem simply giving it to a new owner, selling it, or as you would put, even "tossing it". Cheap or expensive, I either like it or I don't. But lasting quality does factor largely in something that is supposedly a luxury item, and I would like to have the option of giving it up rather than it giving up on me.

You say “Most people never encounter problems at all…..Spy bags are a little overstated….” Hmmm….did you happen to notice the testimonials which elicited my response in the 1st place? It was those who had mentioned numerous faults prior to my comments that brought to mind an attribute so often missed when “want” overrides common sense…..and that would be THINKING.