Proenza Schouler Care and Maintenance Thread

riry, which vectra spray is it...is it item E on the site?

So... I have the results of my treatment tests.

LMB Miracle Shield- ruled this one out from the start. Didn't want to use a rub-in product for the PS1 leather.

Apple Garde- tested this on a small section on the underside of the top flap. This product did not alter the color at all, but it left a faint greasy feel to the leather. Decided not to go with this for the entire bag.

Vectra Spray- purchased this product after doing some research here on tpf. Messaged ****** about it, and E gave it the thumbs up. This product darkened the leather when initially sprayed, but it dried in a few hours to the original color. The best part about Vectra? It did not affect the texture at all. The leather looked and felt exactly the same as before treatment.

I have now treated both my Maize and Smoke Mediums with Vectra. No need to post pics of them because the before and afters look the same.

Miscellaneous Thoughts- before treating my Maize, I got a tiny spot of denim transfer on the back of the bag. LMB Botanical Cleanser took the spot right out and did not lift any of the Maize color. I treated the entire bag with Vectra after that, and have not had any denim transfer at all. I wear dark jeans every day and have been able to wear both my Maize and Smoke with no worries at all.

I'm going to amend what I wrote about Vectra.

I've been wearing my Maize almost daily since I treated it with Vectra. I'm not sure if it's because I've been out in the sun (trips to the park with DD), but the color has warmed a bit. I'm fine with the color as it's now a true Marigold, but it has definitely shifted in the 10 days since I started wearing it. I don't know if Vectra had anything to do with the color reaction to sunlight, but I thought it would be best to post the info here. There still has been no denim transfer.

The only other thing I wanted to note is that the texture of my Maize seems a tiny bit rougher after being treated with Vectra. I didn't notice this the first few days after treatment, and again, it might be just from being exposed to so much sunlight during the past several days, but this is another thing that keeps me from enthusiastically supporting Vectra.

Maize is the only bag that I treated all over with Vectra, and since it will be my daily spring/summer bag, I'll continue to post what I notice about the color/leather and how Vectra seems to be affecting it.

As for Smoke, I only did a test spot on the hidden underside of the flap. The color/texture has not changed in that spot. I have not worn Smoke enough to see if it needs any protectant.

The leather on my Smoke is still smooth and pliable... that may be because it hasn't been treated, or it may be because I haven't really put it to use yet.

Ok, I think that about covers it for now!

Interesting riry, thanks for the info. I've treated my midnight with Woly spray, and there has been no change in color or texture. I've used other sprays in the past and that hasn't happened either. To be honest I doubt it was the spray that would have changed the texture of the bag, maybe it's just from being used a lot. Also sprays do wear off after a while, hence the need for topping up, so if it was that then probably after a while it would wear off.

The fact that there is no denim transfer must be good news though with a light coloured bag, so maybe it is helping.

Interesting riry, thanks for the info. I've treated my midnight with Woly spray, and there has been no change in color or texture. I've used other sprays in the past and that hasn't happened either. To be honest I doubt it was the spray that would have changed the texture of the bag, maybe it's just from being used a lot. Also sprays do wear off after a while, hence the need for topping up, so if it was that then probably after a while it would wear off.

The fact that there is no denim transfer must be good news though with a light coloured bag, so maybe it is helping.

Yes, the great thing about Vectra is that it has absolutely prevented any type of denim transfer or any other stain.

To be fair, I've not babied this Maize AT ALL. I was so tired of always having to be so delicate with my Bals that I bought this PS1 with the express intent of not worrying about it. Like I said in my previous post, it's out in the sun... a lot. And it's going down slides with me and DD, playing in the sand, sitting on the grass, etc... Oh, and I also take it to the gym with me. (these are all things I would NEVER do with Bbags).

I'm going to amend what I wrote about Vectra.

I've been wearing my Maize almost daily since I treated it with Vectra. I'm not sure if it's because I've been out in the sun (trips to the park with DD), but the color has warmed a bit. I'm fine with the color as it's now a true Marigold, but it has definitely shifted in the 10 days since I started wearing it. I don't know if Vectra had anything to do with the color reaction to sunlight, but I thought it would be best to post the info here. There still has been no denim transfer.

The only other thing I wanted to note is that the texture of my Maize seems a tiny bit rougher after being treated with Vectra. I didn't notice this the first few days after treatment, and again, it might be just from being exposed to so much sunlight during the past several days, but this is another thing that keeps me from enthusiastically supporting Vectra.

Maize is the only bag that I treated all over with Vectra, and since it will be my daily spring/summer bag, I'll continue to post what I notice about the color/leather and how Vectra seems to be affecting it.

As for Smoke, I only did a test spot on the hidden underside of the flap. The color/texture has not changed in that spot. I have not worn Smoke enough to see if it needs any protectant.

The leather on my Smoke is still smooth and pliable... that may be because it hasn't been treated, or it may be because I haven't really put it to use yet.

Ok, I think that about covers it for now!

Oh no... so there's no miracle about Vectra spray? Weird that it would cause the leather to be stiffer; even slightly. I remember once that Erica said she used it on her BDR Velo and it hasn't darkened one tiny bit. Didn't show any wear. Granted BDR doesn't get dirty (for some strange, unexplainable reason, it doesn't! I swear!) too easily, but surely she'd recognize the more fragile Bal-leather feeling stiffer after Vectra?

Oh I don't know.

Do you think your Maize will loosen up after some usage? My Feldspar and Smoke are both breaking in and have softened up quite a lot with just a week's use on both.

Oh no... so there's no miracle about Vectra spray? Weird that it would cause the leather to be stiffer; even slightly. I remember once that Erica said she used it on her BDR Velo and it hasn't darkened one tiny bit. Didn't show any wear. Granted BDR doesn't get dirty (for some strange, unexplainable reason, it doesn't! I swear!) too easily, but surely she'd recognize the more fragile Bal-leather feeling stiffer after Vectra?

Oh I don't know.

Do you think your Maize will loosen up after some usage? My Feldspar and Smoke are both breaking in and have softened up quite a lot with just a week's use on both.

Ah well... I'm not too worried. I probably over-sprayed my Maize with the Vectra. My original test spot I just lightly misted, and when that went well, I think I went a little crazy with the rest of the spraying.

For future bags (and yes, there will be future bags!), I'll probably just leave the leather alone, denim transfer and all. :biggrin:

^^ Ahaha. Mental image of you letting loose with the spray can! LMAO. So cute.

Yes, leave the rest of the bags (and there will be many) alone. There is light denim transfer on the back of my Smoke (I think cause the Smoke's leather glaze is less than the Birch and the Feldspar) and I don't mind it at all. Granted its darker than Maize; but the point is that I don't care.

Let it be.

Let it be...

I'm putting on a layer of conditioner on my new Kelly Green Pouch. The leather seems to soften up a lot so far and the color is perhaps a little richer (I don't condition on the backside of the flap for comparison). :smile:

attachment.php

Attachments

• L1010549.JPG
    L1010549.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,780
^^^ Thanks for posting this, Elliespurse. Great to hear that the color becomes even richer with the use of conditioner.

A few days ago, I put a litte Apple Conditioner on my Maize, and it has made it even more supple and rich. Actually, I'm now quite pleased with the combination of Apple and Vectra for conditioning and protection.

Still not the slightest hint of stains or spots anywhere on my bag. :smile:

riry I think your Maize is similar to my Kelly Green,

I've now tested with a drop of water on the Kelly Green Pouch, the drop stayed on the leather for an hour until I wiped it off. It left no mark or stain at all.

This is very different from my old Smoke PS1, water disappears into the leather in a second, like a sponge. And leaves a dark mark. I believe newer Smoke from SS11 is better though.

I think the Kelly Green is a very safe color and will stay fresh for a long time. Some treatment against color transfer would be great though.

I sprayed my new Medium Moss Suede with Vectra yesterday because I wanted to take her out today and there was a chance of rain. The color seems to have deepened ever so slightly, which I don't mind and think it's a small price to pay for stain protection on suede.

I've used AppleGuarde on my Bals and my Large Birch with great success - disappears immediately and offers good water protection. My Birch does have very faint denim transfer on the back (will be trying the LMB botanical cleanser on it later tonight). The Vectra has a more oily consistency which I think offers more protection against more aggressive stains but it does take longer to absorb and may affect the color a bit.

cali-I was just about to ask you about your thoughts on Vectra for the moss suede. I just ordered the large myself, and will be deciding between Vectra and Apple Garde for protection.

Hi, has anyone treated their PS1 with Cadillac spray? I'm planning to use it on my Maize PS1 but I'm not sure what it will do to the bag and how effective it will be on preventing denim transfer. Thanks!

Here's a quick update: this morning at Starbucks, I spilled some chai latte on my maize ps1. Horror of horrors!!

But.... when I wiped it off with a napkin, there wasn't even a trace of the tea left behind. No watermark, no residue... absolutely clean and perfect. I think Vectra is the reason?