prices from new handbag designers...

Listen.. I know I might anger several people by saying this, but it doesn't matter how high of quality that leather is.... you are paying a HUGE markup on ANY bag that you buy.
If I can design a PVC or canvas bag and pay an FOB of $2.25 for it (retail it at $32)... and a leather bag for maybe $10 bucks, retail it for $98, then how much do you think you're getting ripped off by the higher end designers.

Leather quality or not.

Not to be arguementative (sp?) but there ARE lots of different qualities of leather. Some cost $1.52 a square foot, and others cost $10.72....this can mean the difference between a $10 FOB price and a $100 FOB price. As the article I posted a link to mentions, most designer bags really dont COST more than $100 to make, so when you pay $500 or $1000 for one, you are paying for the overhead of the brand and for prestige more than anything else. And thats ok- if you can afford it, and you love the bag, who cares?

Not to be arguementative (sp?) but there ARE lots of different qualities of leather. Some cost $1.52 a square foot, and others cost $10.72....this can mean the difference between a $10 FOB price and a $100 FOB price. As the article I posted a link to mentions, most designer bags really dont COST more than $100 to make, so when you pay $500 or $1000 for one, you are paying for the overhead of the brand and for prestige more than anything else. And thats ok- if you can afford it, and you love the bag, who cares?

^ITA

I don't know if this is off the topic, but I was in Dillards the other day and saw a linen and vinyl bag by.....let me see......Maxx or something like that, and it was $100. For vinyl and linen or whatever it was?? I remember not too long ago that I would never pay over $200 for a bag, but I would pay now up to $500 for a good leather bag, no matter who the designer was. Oh, and that would be never at full price either.....sales for me!

i think prices are increasing because consumers are paying it. across the board. i mean, i think even chanel's prices have increased, and when chloe jumped on the market a few years ago it's prices were obscene, and they keep going up!

but yeah i agree, it's getting a little ridiculous, especially if you are known for being an apparel brand that is just doing bags on the side (geren ford, mike & chris, etc.), and not a handbag brand, and in this case, making something that looks just like mbymj!

but is a balenciaga bag really worth it? or is it worth it because of the advertising and cache . . . ?

ITA as well. You also have to take into account that the cost of the bag is not the only factor that goes into their business, there is labor, misc. overhead, loans, that all factor into the price of the product.

In the designer world period, some designers take into the philosophy that you need to start a product at a higher price to impart the value of the product to the customer. There are a lot of customers who won't pay more when an items starts at a low price and then jumps up with demand. To them the true value will only be what they originally paid for it and they won't want to pay more than that. That is why it can be harmful for companies to constantly have sales and sample sales where the bags are drastically reduced. People get used to that low price and associate the value with that price. Now it's not the same for every manufacturer but as you can tell pricing can be very tricky!

ITA as well. You also have to take into account that the cost of the bag is not the only factor that goes into their business, there is labor, misc. overhead, loans, that all factor into the price of the product.

In the designer world period, some designers take into the philosophy that you need to start a product at a higher price to impart the value of the product to the customer. There are a lot of customers who won't pay more when an items starts at a low price and then jumps up with demand. To them the true value will only be what they originally paid for it and they won't want to pay more than that. That is why it can be harmful for companies to constantly have sales and sample sales where the bags are drastically reduced. People get used to that low price and associate the value with that price. Now it's not the same for every manufacturer but as you can tell pricing can be very tricky!

FOB includes labor, freight, etc etc.

Um. I clearly said it doesn't matter what kind of quality leather... you're just going to pay a massive markup.

Great you've got $10 p/sqft leather... you're still paying 3 grand for that Bottega that FOB'd at $120... or 30 grand for that Birkin that FOB's at $500. My comment applied to ALL tiers of the handbag market.

Indie designer are just following suit with the higher end designers under a false belief that they are just as good, even if they ARE starting out But indie designers also have a major hurdle that they have to jump... and that's being completely independent.. they don't have hundreds of investors or a label to hide under.