Prada stealing The Row's designs?!

bordeauxH

Feb 9, 2022
Has anyone noticed that Prada has directly knocked off both the Margaux bag and the Devon tote from The Row this season? They've even copied the buckle detailing from the Margaux! It's crazy they can get away with this, especially as The Row is a smaller brand without the same marketing budget. What are your thoughts?

1705924103267.png

1705924032145.png
1705924139805.png

1705923976666.png

Reactions: JenJBS
Might be a contrary opinion, but I feel like the Row rips off other designers too. The Margaux makes me think of the Hermes Bolide for example (handles and shape), and I’m sure I’ve thought similar of other designs of theirs in the past. I do see what you mean about the buckle detailing on this though, that’s maybe a bit close for comfort!
I think bag trends happen in the same way as clothing, we’re all ‘inspired’ by each other and the more popular a shape is then more designers will make similar so that they’re in on the game. Everything is now getting bigger and either more professional or slouchy, which kind of suits this aesthetic.
It’s true The Row is way smaller but I reckon they actually choose to not spend loads on marketing and have it as a ‘If you know, you know’ brand, as the Olsen twins could realistically plough more money into marketing if they so chose.

This is a bit too close for comfort. Of course there are tons of half moon bags, the Bolide being the OG, and tons of two strap totes with side straps...but that first bag is pretty much a Margaux.

Not worried about The Row, audiences for the two brands seem different to me and the Olsens are doing just fine. Not much original in fashion anyway!

Never heard of "The Row" so I popped over to have a look. Seems they've done copycats of a lot of designers' iconic silhouettes. Didn't even notice the ridiculous price tags until I went back to double check one of them. If you're going to price gouge with your merchandise, at least make it something original.

Might be a contrary opinion, but I feel like the Row rips off other designers too. The Margaux makes me think of the Hermes Bolide for example (handles and shape), and I’m sure I’ve thought similar of other designs of theirs in the past. I do see what you mean about the buckle detailing on this though, that’s maybe a bit close for comfort!
I think bag trends happen in the same way as clothing, we’re all ‘inspired’ by each other and the more popular a shape is then more designers will make similar so that they’re in on the game. Everything is now getting bigger and either more professional or slouchy, which kind of suits this aesthetic.
It’s true The Row is way smaller but I reckon they actually choose to not spend loads on marketing and have it as a ‘If you know, you know’ brand, as the Olsen twins could realistically plough more money into marketing if they so chose.
Margaux isn’t like the Bolide other than they both have top handles. Bolide and LV Alma are most alike— I’m not sure which came first.

Reactions: roxi88 and Joeli7