Potential Scammer Help

May 19, 2006
Hi everyone,

I've been following few threads here and always find the information and advises from everyone very helpful, but also at the same time wish that I would never need to start my own thread here. Just as I was celebrating 10+ years of selling without any problem, today I got my first and really need help here...

I have recently sold a Chanel red single flap with bijoux chain:
http://www.burukogepanda.com/Chanel_Red_Jumbo_Flap.html

A buyer contacted me and was interested in purchasing and after negotiating to a final deal of $3200 on 10/14, she had problem paying since she wanted to split her payment with credit card and PayPal credit line (which she said she was approved for $2500). We went back and forth trying to find a solution of letting her use 2 sources for a single transaction but failed.

On 11/5, she came back saying she had figured it out how to make the payment, but instead of using the invoice I have sent to her, she decided to send payment using friends and family directly to my email address on 11/6. I went and checked on her background and looks like she has her own fitness website and she is an ISSA certified trainer in FL and had been selling supplements on eBay. I also verified with PayPal if that's okay and they said that's perfectly fine as they can see that I have tried to send her the invoice and they will not go back and penalize me with the fee since it was the buyer's choice to send it as personal payment, but if she ever wants to dispute they will not allow her to do so. But on the other hand, if she does a chargeback with her credit card company, PayPal will let me know and hear my side of the story (crossing my fingers it's really true if that does happen...)

So with such information, I decided to move forward with the transaction and sent the bag to her promptly on 11/7 and it was delivered to her UPS box on 11/9.

Fast forward to today 11/21 3:11pm PST, she said she just came back form oversea and picked up the bag while she liked it she thinks it's off because of the logo and weight, and said she would take it to the boutique for authentication tomorrow. I then suggested that they might not provide such service and encouraged her to use a paid service such as Etinceler to get confirmation.

11/21 4:19pm PST, she messaged me again saying she just left the Chanel Orlando boutique and her SA told her that the serial number did not match with the style of bag that she received so she claimed that it is fake. So I called the boutique immediately at 4:25pm PST and asked to speak to the SA whom she provided the name, and to learn that the SA she said she spoke to was not even at work today! I then asked if I can give them a serial number to check the if it is legit with the bag style, and surely they said they could. And the lady checked the number I provided and said according to the record it is a red flap bag, which matches exactly what what it should have been!

The buyer seems very very fishy about the whole ordeal and is now screaming fake and demanding her money. I would still like to give her some benefit of doubt and would appreciate advises of what my next step should be and how to respond to her.

My concerns would be that if I take a return she will do a bait and switch and I will not be protected since she has sent the money via friends and family.

Thanks~~~

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.. So sorry....:sad:

I believe you will be protected more than she as even if she returns the bag, there is no "goods & services" so there's no way to demand the refund via a case.
F & F is like western union in a way..
That said, I would write to her and explain what the associate you spoke to told you and offer to get her on a THREE WAY call to the Chanel Boutique.
Have her post it here in the AT (authenticate this) thread on the Chanel forum and/or suggest a paid service again.
I think the 3-way call would be a good idea if you can get her to agree.

Don't panic too much, you are lucky in a way with the Friends & Family payment being a huge benefit to you in this situation.
Ask your buyer what would help satisfy her concerns... Tell her to come post here or send her a link to the paid service- and/or the 3 way call; give her those 3 options or even all 3 options.
It sounds like PP will have your back on this as much as they are able..
GOOD LUCK!

I did not know you could use a credit card for F&F payments. Wouldn't the credit card see it as a cash advance?

If you did take it off of EBay, then that was unethical. IMO

Paypal rules are constantly evolving but I do believe that you can use a credit card for an F&F payment. From what I recall the buyer pays the fees and they are the same or not much less than the fees for an invoice. That may be why Paypal didn't have a problem with it because they were collecting fees from the buyer.

This all sounds very fishy to me as well. I don't know whose idea it was to take the transaction off eBay but if it was hers, she may have been setting you up right from the beginning. I'm not sure how a credit card company would view an F&F payment in terms of accepting a chargeback but I wouldn't be surprised if this is where she is trying to go with this. I would contact Paypal and ask them what you should to to prepare for that.

Everything else aside, as I agree it was wrong to take the sale outside of ebay...

I'd simply call her bluff:

"Hello X,
I was alarmed to hear an SA make such a mistake, so I called the Chanel boutique you went to so that I could speak with the SA who gave you the misinformation, as I know the bag to be authentic. But they said that SA wasn't even in today? However, they were very helpful and were happy to verify that yes, indeed that serial number does match that model bag. Please feel free to call or go back in and ask, I spoke with SA "B". Perhaps SA "A" made a mistake looking up the serial number, but the bag is authentic.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
-Seller "

Reactions: cdtracing