Possible to clean velvet?

crystal_cat

Apr 23, 2015
Hello all, hoping for some advice. I've recently bought this versace bag, but being from 2012, and white velvet, it has developed a lot of discolouration. Is there any hope to clean/restore it, and if so how? (Pictured how it would have looked new, and the current state it's in from the sellers pics)

Attachments

• versace_spring_2012_bags_10.jpg
    versace_spring_2012_bags_10.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 26
  • SmartSelect_20240321_191351.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240321_191351.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 24
You could try bicarbonate (baking) soda on it then using a microfibre cloth to rub the powder off. This may buff it up and get rid of any smells. The colour could be tricky. There’s various videos on line for velvet cleaning. I’ve also heard of mineral paint which could be a last resort? It’s a beautiful bag, if you know you won’t get another like it anywhere else then I’d keep it and try to restore.

Reactions: crystal_cat
It may partly depend on what sort of velvet it is, e.g. cotton velvet, viscose velvet, wool velvet, mohair velvet. Do you have any info about that? For example, cotton velvet can be gently cleaned with the right soap and water and a soft brush (I've had a pair of velvet boots for about 7 years, and I think they're cotton velvet based on the feel of it, and they still look incredibly good despite all the rain and mud and subsequent cleaning I've given them!), but viscose velvet on the other hand can react really badly to water and the fibres clump together and almost seem like they fuse to each other and create ugly patches.

However, I have seen plenty of bag spas do wonders with velvet bags (I've seen some before and after photos are that are spectacular), so if you're in any doubt, maybe look into that as an option? Good bag spas usually have the expertise to clean most types of fabric.