Please help inspire me to get rid of old junk!

I bought a ton of books on Overstock.com on organizing your house, cleaning up clutter---simplify your home. They are great. Every night I read the books and get inspired.
Now let me tell you my husband is a pack rat---to the point of obsessive complusive disorder, he will not throw anything out and has gone thru the garbage to take things I throw out......I am not kidding.
He was cleaning his closet and I thought to myself I didn't see him throw anything out and about a month ago I found 5-6 huge storage bins in the basement with his old clothes, things he will never fit in to use or wear again. He is like that for everything. It is frustrating to live this way. Not to mention the 100+plants in the house.

So far this past month I have cleaned out the guest bathroom, redid the linen closet and put scented shelf papers down, organized good sheets by size and got rid of old stuff. I organized both bath sink under the counters and then cleaned out the hallway linen closet and put the scented papers with all my good towels folded like something Martha Stewart. I threw out all the old junk and put the old towels in the garage for the cars. It is so nice to open up my linen closet and have everything where you can see it--no clutter anywhere.
Today I cleaned the upstairs hallway which had 2 Ikea wooden toy bins with probably 8 drawers in each of them. I really just put them in the guest room to go thru this week. I moved the computer from this hallway in to the guest room and put a pretty small cabinet near my bedroom entrance and it looks great. I washed the baseboards and doors with Clorox wipes and I hope to repaint the hallway on Tuesday and then hang some pictures.
So to me it is like you start small and then just move along. I really am determined to unclutter the house, it is just a problem getting the stuff out of the house. My husband and I work from home so he is always here to catch me trying to throw something out.....

I think the vibes you get in a house have a lot to do with how you feel. Clutter causes chaos.... I want peace and calm when I come in the house. In time I will get there.

Maybe we should start a forum thread on organizing and everyone can post what they did for the day and what their goals are and tips.

I have become pretty good at purging old clothes (if I haven't worn it in a year, it's out!), but I still have boxes of , yes, I will call it CRAP that I have been hauling around for too long! i have a growing pile in my garage, waiting for spring and a garage sale, and then the rest will either go to the good will or the trash. Small bits at a time seem to be the best way to deal with this for me, too. Sometimes it is only a box at a time, sometimes I get several done. You are not alone.

I tried Flylady - they loaded up may mailbox with tons of junk. LOL

I have been trying to get my house together. I am starting with the closets and clothes, to make room for stuff that I don't want sitting out. I am also throwing out beat up old kitchen stuff.

I have the most trouble with papers and junk mail, filing etc.

My problem is that I used to collect too much of everything. If you don't have a way to display your collections they just end up taking space in drawers and cabinets. I really don't want to collect much of anything anymore.

Except money.

I am going to redecorate with the best and sell the rest.

This should be a sticky!

:yahoo: Progress!!!!!!!!!!!

I have started and emptied a wardrobe, have two large sacks full of clothes for the nearby charity shop, and about the same for the waste.

I am making the most of it, whilst OH is on a whole weeks run of shifts, and I have put the majority of his stuff on one side for him to sort ~ will be interesting!

But you know when there are things you want to get rid of, and they keep being moved around, cos someone is trying to hang onto them, well, they are going directly in the trash. :jammin:

Going to hopefully get to some more today.

Thanks for the jolt, talking about Flylady reminded me that I should really FLY now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wlae:

Thanks for all of the tips! I looked at the fly lady website, and got a bunch of the recommended books from the library.

I started this week! It is going really slow and much harder physically than I thought, I'm just so tired. But I got 2 downstairs closets cleaned out. I took everything out of them and threw most of it away and then put back the stuff to keep. Now I will move upstairs to the big mess.

Thanks for all of the tips! I looked at the fly lady website, and got a bunch of the recommended books from the library.

I started this week! It is going really slow and much harder physically than I thought, I'm just so tired. But I got 2 downstairs closets cleaned out. I took everything out of them and threw most of it away and then put back the stuff to keep. Now I will move upstairs to the big mess.

Wooo hoo!! Keep going, I want you to do 5 garbage bags today! ;) :yahoo:

hehe. I just opened the door to that room and I dont know where to start. I want to get boxes (all I have are big trash bags which I think I will use so I have no excuses and they are easier for me to carry) and label them keep (clothes that dont fit right now that I love) ebay (I want to sell anything I think has value to someone) goodwill (its not worth selling) or trash (all the dirty stuff and stuff with holes in it). The little cat ran in there and now he is having a ball hiding in the junk. Here I go back upstairs!