Permanent Straightening?

I did the Japanese straightening and I love it!! The price had come down a lot since it was first introduced a few years ago. Now it's probably less than 150 cad for my long hair (past shoulder length). But if you have very wavy/curly hair to start with, you have to tell your hair stylist to use more chemicals because last time I had it done, my stylist didn't use enough chemical and I ended up having it done twice (the second time was free). it really damaged my hair though. But the first time I had it done (and it was perfect the first time around), my hair didn't have any damages and the straightening effect lasted a good 6 months..

You can go for a hair rebonding if your natural hair is extremely curly and frizzy like you said. If your natural hair is pretty much wavy or straight (but you want a super straight hair), go for a hair smoothing. The process used to take approx. 7 hours, but now it can be done around 2-3hours. Make sure you get the straightening liquid from japan. I know they have the liquid from China & Korea, etc. The ones from china are extremely cheap. I'm using for mine from Japan, it costs 6x times more expensive, but I'm very happy with the result. Better safe than sorry. I've heard horror stories about those using the one from korea or china.

Hair rebonding is originally from Japan. It was so popular about 3-4 years ago. Right now, it should be cheaper because there're tons of hair salons that offer this treament. Make sure you know what they put on your hair. I'm talking about the chemicals here :biggrin:

Also, not to forget, after getting your hair straightened, ask your stylist to give you a free haircut (e.g. the layer style) and you'll come out from the salon looking like those korean/taiwanese dramas actresses! Good luck!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I did thermal reconditioning (straightening) and it's really late and I'm too tired to get into a lot of detail now, but just wanted to say that while I loved the results - it damaged my hair sooo badly! I've had it done a couple of times. The worst part is when you decide you don't want to do it anymore, you have to go through a stage of half straight/wavy hair while yr growing it out

ajamesgrly, I feel your pain. We call it the magic straightening perm here, and I've done that maybe 7-8 times over the last few years. I have naturally curly/wavy and unmanagable hair, and boy am I glad I did it. I think choosing a good stylist/salon is just as important as getting it done. Knowing the solutions your stylist will use is just as important. I have used certain products that were made overseas, mainly japan. Come to think of it, the second to the last time I've done it I was introduced to the solution made by the cosmestics brand, Shiseido, and it's not bad at all. I can't think of the name of the solution that was used on me for the 3-4 years before that, I know it starts with or ends with "ten" and it has a salon in beverly hills. It will come to me eventually.

Contrary to what others has said, if you do your research well (talking to others that has done it before and speaking to your stylist before committing), the results are amazing!! I never felt that my hair was damaged or suffered from hair loss. In fact, I have noticably less split-ends ever since I've started perming my hair straight! Your hair has a shine and feels soft and smooth after you have the perm. Having done this for about 5 years, I can offer a few tips:
- never wash your hair the day OF your perm
-depending on the solution, do not wash your hair for 48-72 hours AFTER the perm
- do not perm your hair on the first day of your period! (my stylist of 5 years refused to do my hair once because of that!! I know, it's bizarre, but if you have to sit at the chair for 6 hours at a time, you'll listen to her)
- shampoo your hair with just conditioner for the first couple of times after the perm.
-do not go to a SPA or Sauna or the pool for at least 2 weeks after your perm.

As you can tell, I've done one or some all of the above before :lol:

That's it! Oh..I don't have recommendation for you in terms of stylist/salon, but it generally costs me about 200$ (with tips, give or take 20$) each time, and it generally lasts me for 8-9 months with no problem. HTH! :biggrin:

I do the Japanese thermal straightening, but I'm very fortunate in that my mother in law owns a salon and does it for a hefty discount (the joke is that I will repay here in grandchildren some day : ) It's so much better for my hair than traditional relaxers (I'm African American) and I only have to do it twice a year, as opposed to every six weeks. I think it's totally worth it, even if you have to pay full price. you just have to be committed to having straight hair since it's irreversable.

I had a friend who had her hair straightened in college, and she really loved it. For some reason, after the first time she did it, her hair has remained less curly and frizzy - even without the treatment.

This is all great info, since want to get it done badly, I have super curly hair and it sucks. I've never liked it. But I hear that it can't be done on coloured hair, that it will fall out. My hair is blonde right now, and is naturally a medium brown. Hearing this is encouraging though...I want it now! lol

i had a perm two years ago after i had my first baby and i vow to never ever ever ever do it again. the curls didn't last that long and now i really miss my straight hair.

texaschic231 said:
I would be scared of permanently straightening my hair...Im too fickle. I would regret it whenever I would be in the mood for curly hair!

Not me! :biggrin: I would be more than happy if it actually worked. I've chemically straightened my hair many times and nothing has ever worked. Its so dissapointing.

I got it done twice and among Koreans we call it magic straight. Magic straight typically starts at $150 (I'm in NYC) for the shortest hair. The price has gone down from 2-3 years ago though cause its not that popular anymore. I would suggest you go to an Asian salon because chances are it will be cheaper than if you go to an American salon. I got mine done in SKorea for two consecutive years.. I don't have super frizzy hair or even near-frizzy hair, I just wanted super stick straight hair. My hair overall is straight but I wanted it REALLY straight... lol anyway the process (the 1st time) took 4 hours? They had to repeat this cream process over and over again and I was falling asleep in the chair. The result was awesome though. My hair was really pretty and low maintenance. So I decided to get it again. I paid $200 for hair that was around 3 -4 inches below the shoulders. The 2nd time my hair got a little damaged but not enough for others to recognize, only myself. Took around 3 hours and I paid around $80 for it. My hair was shoulder length.

People typically say it will last around 6 months but it depends on how fast your hair grows. If it grows super fast, it will last a shorter period of time because new hair is growing. But the actual straightness of the hair , in my opinion, lasts forever. Its just that your new hair will contrast with your previously straightened hair, if you don't have straight hair to begin with. I would realllyy suggest magic straight cause its awesome :smile: I would never even brush my hair , lol I guess I became really lazy. And now its growing out but Im thinking of doing something different this time :smile:

Oh yea, and previous coloring will affect the process. If you colored your hair a LOT before then I wouldn't recommend it, however if you colored your hair only 1 - 2 times you'll be fine.

I bleached my hair to a dirty blond color about 4 years ago and I told myself never to do anything stupid to my hair again. But then the last summer my friend and I decided to go get our hair done together. She always had her hair up coz she never wanted to deal with it. I just wanted hair that was easy to deal with. We both got our hair straighten.
It's been about 6 months and my hair is still pretty straight. I blow dry everyday because my parents claim that I get headaches because my head is wet all the time. I think blow drying helps to keep the hair straighter for longer. I've never been so happy with my hair!:love: