Perfect job?

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
Would you rather have a $100K+ job where you spend most of your day doing nothing, or prefer a more mentally stimultating job that you have to work your way up to a $100K+ salary?

What is your idea of a perfect job?

I think it depends on what is important for the individual. Sometimes you can be making a killing at a job, but you can't stand the job or don't like the people you work with. IMHO, I think the perfect job is a state of mind. I think is important if individuals are doing what they love the most and it is also rewarding for them.

LOL, your question reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on a car at school it said something like, "Laugh like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and work like you don't need the money."

I get the intentions of the saying, but I couldn't help thinking, "If I worked liked I didn't need the money, I'd be asleep under my desk! It's being broke that keeps me working my butt off!"

I do prefer mental stimulation. I've had jobs that have paid well, but are mind numbingly dull. It made the day so much longer!

I had that job !!! My job was great for many years... very stimulating and a lot of responsibility. Then the company changed things around and while I was still making a lot of money I was primarily doing stuff that I could do with my eyes closed ! IT was horrible ! I hated it. Yes, I spent a lot of time on the internet and taking care of personal stuff but even that gets old after awhile. I finally left and am now looking for something stimulating. It sounds like a wonderful concept but it was so mind numbing at times I never thought I would get through the day!

I actually thrive on pressure and stress - sounds terrible but it makes the day fly by and I just like it, partially because of the mental stimulation. I'm also terrible fond of money though....

I have that job right now....well...except for the money part. *L* But I'd still rather have a boring job, because I used to have a very challenging job and the stress became overwhelming. I was the Accounts Receivable Supervisor for a multi-million dollar oil company. I got hired the week I graduated from college, and I thought I was the luckiest person on earth. WRONG.

So now I am bored, poor and happy as hell.

What about a job where you spend most of the day doing nothing and four hours trying to outdo other people in front of a computer screen, LOL - that's what I do: about the right amount of idleness vs. stimulation. It pays me into high six figures (i.e. in $ equivalent) and I love, love it!!! Really I'm not an ambitious girl and I don't get overly competitive so even though I know there is a 'glass ceiling' soon I'm sort of OK and think this is my perfect job.

The perfect job depends on your attitude, some people cannot stay still and look for things to do all the time, they are the people who push for the last $10,000 when they have a $600,000 wage already - these people will probably be the 'rulers of men' (to quote the favourite archaic British Empire phrase) but moi, I like doing things in a moderate manner just for subsistence living otherwise I may get premature crowfeet!

Eponineslove said:
I enjoy solving problems so a job that requires me to work through problems would be ideal. If I didn't have anything to keep me awake during the day, I would go nuts.

I agree! I need a lot of mental engagement. I bore easily.

Bee...Bee said:
What about a job where you spend most of the day doing nothing and four hours trying to outdo other people in front of a computer screen, LOL - that's what I do: about the right amount of idleness vs. stimulation. It pays me into high six figures (i.e. in $ equivalent) and I love, love it!!! Really I'm not an ambitious girl and I don't get overly competitive so even though I know there is a 'glass ceiling' soon I'm sort of OK and think this is my perfect job.

The perfect job depends on your attitude, some people cannot stay still and look for things to do all the time, they are the people who push for the last $10,000 when they have a $600,000 wage already - these people will probably be the 'rulers of men' (to quote the favourite archaic British Empire phrase) but moi, I like doing things in a moderate manner just for subsistence living otherwise I may get premature crowfeet!

Bee ... Bee, you're a commodities trader (as I recall)! That's pretty ambitious. I never could get into that whole investment banking thing that leads to a job like yours. Maybe I should try. I just need more artistic creativity! I'm going to be poor my entire life! :yucky: