paying for a high priced item

Uh, wiretransfer $5000? That's so sketchy. Just sign up for paypal. You don't need a CC, just a bank account.

I agree. I'd sign up for Paypal. I have a joint account with Hubby and I was able to sign up without any problems. If you just send a wire transfer and they send you a fake, then you have no protection and are out of luck.

Who is this seller, if she's a trusted seller on tPF?

The best protection is by paying with a CC, such as in cases of theft and loss. Preferably use AMEX. I would never wire transfer or send a cashier's check unless I knew the person personally and trusted them. Last resort would be to open up Paypal and then use funds from you bank account, and even still that isn't the best as Paypal doesn't always work in your favor in disputes.

You owe it to yourself to pay in a manner which affords you the most protection-I don't care what you are buying, and from whom-please try and take the emotion out of this transaction and protect yourself-good luck!

Have you actually seen her on the purse forum and read her threads or does she just say she is a member? $5K is a lot of money to risk with no protection.

Uh, wiretransfer $5000? That's so sketchy. Just sign up for paypal. You don't need a CC, just a bank account.

consider getting a c/c for internet transactions alone. an amex will protect you regardless. they are pretty great i hear.

bank transfers are not traceable and you will never get your money back in a dispute. c/c through paypal or nothing, in my book.

sorry, reputatable or not, doesn't sound like a smart move.

I would at least use paypal even if you are not paying with a credit card. It offers a little more protection than money order or wire transfer. Hope it works out for you.