Packing your bag

Feb 23, 2023
I’m learning just because a bag is big, I don’t have to fill it. I like to have my pouches/wallet in a row front to back with smaller coin case/ coin purse/ tissue on the side. I don’t like to stack anything because I like to see everything. Most bags in my collection will pack like this. The smaller bags force me to consolidate into one pouch, and pare down what I’m carrying. Sometimes I look at the things I’m carrying and think to myself why do I need this? I’m just going to work, my bag stays in the car. I’m walking from the car to the house…

that being said I am learning how to pack my bag Pending the size of the bag.
how do you like to pack your bags? Are you using organizers or pouches?

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2947.jpeg
    IMG_2947.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7311.jpeg
    IMG_7311.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7456.jpeg
    IMG_7456.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 10
I generally use pouches, although before I fell down the SLG rabbit hole I used
an organizer and thought it was the best purchase I had ever made. But it seems redundant
to use an organizer with pouches, unless the bag has a light color delicate leather
lining (like the wine bag I used earlier this week)

I line my pouches/wallet/etc. up along the bottom of the handbag. I don't stack.
And my preference is to be able to open the pouches without taking them out
of the handbag. I like the zippers to be face up so I can get inside the pouches and
pull out a lip balm or sanitizer quickly.

If it's a taller handbag, or one with a narrower bottom, like the Dooney Flo Tobi Tote
I used yesterday, I have to put the pouches on their end because there isn't enough
space across the bottom of the bag. It works, but it's not my preference.
I have the same 'issue' with other popular Dooney bags like the Small Lexington which
only has a 4" wide base. My stuff can 'fit', but everything is on it's end, and
the bag is filled. I much prefer more space inside so it's easy to grab items and
the not have to fight for space to put them back. In the old days, I never had
these issues.... am I carrying more or just getting more particular. 🤣

And yes, I have far too many things in my handbag. But every once in a while,
I'm glad the item is there, and I wish I had multiples of it on hand.

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
I’m learning just because a bag is big, I don’t have to fill it. I like to have my pouches/wallet in a row front to back with smaller coin case/ coin purse/ tissue on the side. I don’t like to stack anything because I like to see everything. Most bags in my collection will pack like this. The smaller bags force me to consolidate into one pouch, and pare down what I’m carrying. Sometimes I look at the things I’m carrying and think to myself why do I need this? I’m just going to work, my bag stays in the car. I’m walking from the car to the house…

that being said I am learning how to pack my bag Pending the size of the bag.
how do you like to pack your bags? Are you using organizers or pouches?
I think everyone knows from the Organizers thread how I pack but once in awhile I just throw everything in except cosmetics or a pen. Long cosmetic bags are good for storing pens but I found this leather pen pouch about 10+ yrs ago that I always carry. It is well loved!

Attachments

• 20231231_072748.jpg
    20231231_072748.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Love
I've seen pen pouches on the Coach outlet web site in a variety of
fabrications: leather and canvas.
It's a good idea to protect the lining of a handbag by putting pens
and pencils into a cosmetic case or a pen pouch, rather than
directly into the handbag. If a pen leaks it will not only ruin the
lining of the bag, but might also damage the outside the the bag too.

I think everyone knows from the Organizers thread how I pack but once in awhile I just throw everything in except cosmetics or a pen. Long cosmetic bags are good for storing pens but I found this leather pen pouch about 10+ yrs ago that I always carry. It is well loved!
That’s really cute. I and torn between pouches and organizers. In a big black hole type bag, I like pouches as I know what’s in each one and small items aren’t floating around. It’s the smaller bag in having trouble packing. I absolutely love this small domed satchel. Packing it so that the zipper is wonky and the the bag isnt over stuffed is an issue I’m trying to master.
I do have a few stand alone organizers that go around the sides of the bag, I just haven’t tried them yet.
I thank you all for your incites. I didn’t realize there was an organizer thread and I will go thru it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Lilybarb
I used an organizer in an unlined drawstring bag today. I kept most things in the
pouches I usually carry, but used the organizer to hold the items that normally go
in the Dooney pockets and on the key leash. I have to say that the combination
wasn't ideal Maybe it was the depth and shape of the bag, or the fact that the
organizer was very soft sided. But I had to use 2 hands to get things like my phone
or keys, etc. back into the organizer. A firmer sided organizer might have helped,
but I didn't have one that worked with the shape and size of the handbag.

Soft sided organizers are junk in my experience. I've got a couple from different manufacturers collecting dust now. Size & fit of a stiffer sided organizer is a game changer however drawstring bags, especially the more round ones, can be a challenge to match with a proper fitting organizer.

• Insightful