Package forwarding services?

BookerMoose

Arrrooooo!
O.G.
Oct 21, 2007
Has anyone here ever used a mail/package forwarding service when ordering BVs (and other precious cargo) from another country? I am thinking of somewhere like Jomashop - where they charge a huge shipping fee for "international" shipping (for my nameless black tote just the shipping fee was $103!) and then use UPS - which is the worst courier for adding on even more processing fees to get something through customs. Then there are lots of other places that won't even ship to Canada in the first place. The forwarding services sound like they are a good idea - ship to a US address, thereby paying the generally much more reasonable regular US domestic shipping - and then they send it on to you, presumably at a much better shipping rate (and hopefully not using UPS)... But I do worry about how they treat the package while they have it (for example, some of the services talk about "repackaging" it - I really don't want someone handling my BV other than with the appropriate love and respect!).

Of course jburgh did offer at one point to have my precious BV cargo sent to her in Seattle and then I could come down to pick it up... which is very tempting but unfortunately not always a viable option!!

Anyone with any experience/horror stories/recommendations? I found one of the services (mbex) that has a one time trial before you have to commit too much - I may do that to see how it works and if it really saves any shipping costs (now I just have to decide what to buy...).

Hey bookermoose, have u heard of tsb shipping? I know you live in Vancouver and tsb shipping is in Point Roberts, Washington!! so that's only like 30 mins drive from Vancouver. If you live in Richmond, that's even closer. I usually send my stuff to tsb and they will hold the parcel for you and you just have to cross the border and pick it up yourselves. The $$ depends on the size of your parcel but they are very reasonable. We even ordered furniture in US and asked them to ship to them. Here is the website!! www.tsbshipping.com
Most of my friends in Vancouver do that too. So far, we do not have any problem with them. Good Luck!!

^^ Thanks godzilla - I'll definitely check out tsb as that sounds like an excellent option! Although with my work schedule I would worry about finding the time to go and actually pick up the stuff - hopefully they have a good long holding period once it arrives!

Well, I went through everything to place a test order through the service that offers a trial (just sheets and duvet cover - no precious BV cargo yet...) and everything went fine (I thought) until the retailer cancelled my order after I was all done. Apparently my credit card billing address also has to be in the US and my credit card has to be issued in the US. Don't think the mail forwarding will help with that... nor would the tsb option work with that place either. How frustrating. Guess they just don't like anyone who isn't in the US, period...

It happened to me too-then I gave my US shipping address as billing address too (as the site did not offer an option for the billing address to be outside the US) and sent a separate explanatory e-mail about the right billing address-maybe it will work for you too.

Well, I went through everything to place a test order through the service that offers a trial (just sheets and duvet cover - no precious BV cargo yet...) and everything went fine (I thought) until the retailer cancelled my order after I was all done. Apparently my credit card billing address also has to be in the US and my credit card has to be issued in the US. Don't think the mail forwarding will help with that... nor would the tsb option work with that place either. How frustrating. Guess they just don't like anyone who isn't in the US, period...

Send it to me and pop down here for a visit some weekend!