OMG- flaking hw on NEW epi koala wallet!!!

I have the damier koala wallet, and I have a similar problem with mine. I don't think my hardware is plated with anything, but the top clip part that the koala button slides under scratched up the surface of the button! It is supposed to be solid brass, but i'm not even sure what is going on there. The button is completely discolored in one patch approx. 5 mm across and almost green, it is really ugly. The funny thing is, I haven't had a single problem with the buttons on my manhattan, which uses the same hardware.
I am really disappointed with the quality of LV lately, it seems like this stuff is happening all too often as I check up on the forum with everyone else's experiences.
My best advice would be to stay away from anything with lots of hardware... but sometimes I guess you get stuck with the bad one out of the batch. A long time ago, the zipper on my medium looping (first LV bag) broke and the hardware of the zipper pull also completely tarnished and rusted or something. It was gross! :yucky: The SA said it was my fault and that I must have allowed the hardware to get wet or something, so paying for repairs would be my only option. Even a cheapo bag from Target with stainless steel zippers would hold up better.

good luck with your wallet! i am sure that they will give you a new one.

i hope that this is an isolated incident as i am planning on purchasing the segur pm (same kiss lock)!!! please keep us updated.

Well, I'm not so worried about the wallet, this is clearly a defect, so I'm sure I'll get another one. But what really worries me is the quality issue w/ the hw. I would never have believed that it was so fragile, and now I'm having second thoughts about my want-list... Have to reconsider and go for items w/ less hw, I guess. Kind of disappointing...

Spoke w/ CS at LV today re Epi hardware as I just purchased one last Sunday. He did not want to fully admit, but did say that if the hardware was solid palladium, that it would cost a lot more. I asked him what the policy would be (after the 30 days) and he indicated that an exchange would not be given because it is considered as "wear and tear." I told him that it was more a defect or craftmanship issue. I also told him that for what we pay for, one would think that they could at least use a durable, solid metal rather than "coated" or "dipped." He responded by saying that, "People think that just because they pay a lot of money for something, that it would last forever." I was livid! :cursing: He didn't seem to understand - we do not expect anything to last "forever," but it could at least last more than a month!!!

I'm returning my red epi koala wallet on Friday...:sad:

I went into LV to see if my koala wallet would be replaced, and the manager would not allow. She thought that I had kept the wallet stuffed too full, because I had a card in every slot.... why would they include all those slots if i'm not supposed to use them :blink:??? Since the wallet was so thick according to her, it put extra pressure against the top clip anytime I open/close the button. So that's what caused the weird scratch.
I guess the brass hardware has a clear coating on top, or a polish? And once this is worn down the brass can discolor very quickly. My bf recommended brass polish but would that be possible to use if there really is a clear coating? Anyone have experience with this?

UPDATE: I went to the LV store yesterday and returned my flaking epi wallet - and they took it back without any questions. My SA adviced me NOT to take another epi koala wallet, since they had many complaints about this particular wallet w/ palladium hw. They frequently flake, it appears, so this is known to the staff. I asked if this concerns all palladium hw, but she told me it's only the koala wallets. She was very nice about this, and she fully understood my concerns - I really think my LV store handled this situation very well. I ended up with a store credit, since I couldn't find any other wallet I wanted right now.

And btw, we also chatted about the upcoming damier Azur line, and she was very enthisiastic about it. She told me the entire staff had been to a press event with this line a few days ago, and that it's really gorgeous irl.
I was surprised, as she told me it's beige on beige, not blue as it looks in pics.