~*~ Official Non-Facebookers Chat & Support Thread ~*~

I'm proud of myself this week, 2 of my friends asked for the last name of the guy I'm dating (to look him up on FB) and I refused to give it to them, which I've always done in the past, I'd never give names, but I told both of them flat out that I don't want them looking him up. One friend is used to this by now (even though she still asks) but the other is so offended that I won't tell him any information, like sorry but I don't have a FB because I don't want my privacy invaded I don't see why that means you'll find ways to still use it to do that :shrugs: and I certainly won't facilitate that stuff! I don't even know why it bothers me so much that my friends are curious but it just does. Maybe bc I don't care who my friends are dating as long as they're happy, I'll meet their people when I meet their people, what's w the instant background check thing? :wacko:

I don't link to my SO on facebook for this reason. I just give a first name and let them go crazy. My relationship status is blank. I don't understand why you WOULDN'T treat facebook like a sort of "personal brand" page - people who really know you don't need a computer page to see who you are, and people who don't know you have no business seeing a computer page with a bunch of personal info on it. :P

I read the article about Facebook being cited in divorce hearings and it's amazing. I'm in my 40's now and I can't envision wanting to ever know what any of my pimply faced high school boyfriends are up to right now. I. Don't. Care. That part of my life is history and I have no desire to go back there.

I've never ever seen a Facebook site, so I have really have no idea what it's all about, but I keep hearing people talk about connecting with family.

I live in another province from my family and only get to see them in person maybe once a year. We all manage to keep up to date on events and holidays just fine - we send each other photos and talk via email and sometimes (I know this is hard to believe) we actually talk to each other on the phone!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what Facebook would or could add to that. But the thought of people from 10 or 20 years ago who I knew casually (or even more than casually) suddenly finding me (or to even know they are looking for me) sends shivers up my spine.

But I'll be the first to admit I'm turning into a hermit in my old age. I like to be anonymous and I love my privacy. If you aren't in my life it's for a reason. :P

I do not use facebook before and will not use it in the future, I don't think there is needed for us to use it, even I do not use computer very often but i still know international news, I keep good contact with my friends, my life is very normal like everyone here.

I converted my friend into deactivating her facebook. She's been off it for quite a while and she's not going back on it. :biggrin: Though I am a tad bit worried because I spend all my time on TPF now, I think it became my new facebook in terms of wasting time on it and it definitely doesn't help my shopping habits :shame:

HEY ECHOES,
I spent the last two days mocking FB on FB with a couple of intellectual friends. (I'm not an intellectual, but I do know a few. At least not ALL of my friends are complete dolts.)

I thought of all you guys with every sarcastic word I typed. We totally let the venom pour and the good times roll.

All right! A thread for people who don't do facebook! Count me in, if you will. :biggrin:

I had a facebook and a myspace up until last year. After a strange encounter with a family friend, I deleted both, and never looked back.

Don't miss facebook at all. I like my privacy. The only downside is that everyone and their dog wants me to re-open my facebook profile.

Okay, where do I sign? I was on FB for about the last 8 months and just deactivated my account. While I do see what some people like about it I was fairly horrified that about 3 days after I had originally signed up I had 80 friends, some who were from so long ago I could not figure out where I knew they from.

The thought of people from 10 or 20 years ago who I knew casually (or even more than casually) suddenly finding me (or to even know they are looking for me) sends shivers up my spine.

But I'll be the first to admit I'm turning into a hermit in my old age. I like to be anonymous and I love my privacy. If you aren't in my life it's for a reason. :P

YAY I'm not alone! I don't use facebook, myspace, twitter or anything like that (well besides my beloved PF) and have managed to not only survive just fine but quite happily.

I completely agree with you crissy! I value my privacy too much to just put it all out there and there is nothing that gives me nightmares more than thinking of random people knowing about my life.

Here I was thinking I was the only one left but I 100% agree with tatertot &Crissy11. I would not want someone from my past searching for me on fb,twitter or myspace :sick:

Meanwhile I remain happy and loyal to Tpf and love it.

All right! A thread for people who don't do facebook! Count me in, if you will. :biggrin:

I had a facebook and a myspace up until last year. After a strange encounter with a family friend, I deleted both, and never looked back.

Don't miss facebook at all. I like my privacy. The only downside is that everyone and their dog wants me to re-open my facebook profile.

You're counted in! :tup:
You can come here for support and validation whenever you're tempted to re-open the account. Don't let those pushy Facebookers win! :boxing:

Okay, where do I sign? I was on FB for about the last 8 months and just deactivated my account. While I do see what some people like about it I was fairly horrified that about 3 days after I had originally signed up I had 80 friends, some who were from so long ago I could not figure out where I knew they from.

OMG, that's a lot...and that quick! It's weird, isn't it?
Anyway, welcome to the club!
:biggrin:

YAY I'm not alone! I don't use facebook, myspace, twitter or anything like that (well besides my beloved PF) and have managed to not only survive just fine but quite happily.

I completely agree with you crissy! I value my privacy too much to just put it all out there and there is nothing that gives me nightmares more than thinking of random people knowing about my life.
Here I was thinking I was the only one left but I 100% agree with tatertot &Crissy11. I would not want someone from my past searching for me on fb,twitter or myspace :sick:

Meanwhile I remain happy and loyal to Tpf and love it.

No, you're not! :wlae:

Hey everyone! I am soo joining this thread!

Here's my story..
I had a FB in high school and the beginning of college... I was 17 and my BF was 25 at the time. There was a lot of drama being caused by FB with our relationship (both on my part and BF's part) so we decided to close our accounts. It was the best thing ever!

All my friends and family are on it though.. it makes me feel all left out but honestly they waste so much time on it I'm glad I don't have one. And anyway FB is blocked at my work!