Of Status and Handbags -thoughts?

Luxury goods can only hint at socialeconomic status, not confirm or deny it. Some wealthy people do not care for designer handbags, some not wealthy people do care for designer handbags, and vice-versa. Some people do buy for perceived status but some do not, and most are probably a bit of both. It really depends on the person.

People who care about designer handbags are a set of people who can only be defined by their love of designer handbags. These people are rich and poor, educated and not, the only common thread is their love of designer handbags (and perhaps of handbags in general, though not always the case). Given this, who cares if someone buys a handbag on sale or at full price? Some people have to work harder, shop smarter for their designer bags, some do not. The common thread among these handbag lovers is their love of such handbags, not of "status" (of course some care about "status," but it's not all). So why shouldn't the ones who work harder or shop "smarter" (ie pursue sales) have them?

ITA. :yes:

I personally believe the people who buy fakes are the ones really concerned about "status". Why get a fake anything unless you wanted to give someone the impression you actually own one? I wish I was a billionaire but that doesn't mean I'm gonna carry around "play money" in my wallet!

^ LOL! :lol:

Great analogy! :yes:

Although, I suppose if there's a design someone really likes (but can't afford) and they can't find a non-logoed replica; that could be another reason for them being tempted to buy a fake.

I think a lot more people buy designer for status than they let on.
(I'm going to put on my bulletproof clothing on now) There is not much evidence that all designer items are longer lasting or hardier than non-designer, so I think that argument is BS. Buying for personal satisfaction comes a close second reason, but I wonder how many people genuinely like the item or just follow the herd as they march along to buy the newest 'it' bag.

There is not much evidence that all designer items are longer lasting or hardier than non-designer, so I think that argument is BS.

Having bought bags from many price points (low, medium and high), I can honestly say that the designer bags I have bought are far better quality than the non-designer.

I'm absolutely sure that they would not be better quality, for the price, than an unsigned bag, which has been handcrafted by an artisan.

But, compared with non-designer high street bags, there has been no comparison.

I guess there are groups of people who do buy for status and groups of people who buy because they just love design. Just as I'm sure there are groups of people who buy designer bags cause they just don't know what else to do with their money, and groups of people who buy designer bags cause they are subliminally persuaded to....I wonder why the constant search for one blanket answer though? Human beings will always differentiate in their reasons for doing anything. What does it really matter? Can't we just live and let live?

I guess there are groups of people who do buy for status and groups of people who buy because they just love design. Just as I'm sure there are groups of people who buy designer bags cause they just don't know what else to do with their money, and groups of people who buy designer bags cause they are subliminally persuaded to....I wonder why the constant search for one blanket answer though? Human beings will always differentiate in their reasons for doing anything. What does it really matter? Can't we just live and let live?

:yes:

Subconsciously, I may buy a bag because I think Vlad finds it attractive on me :roflmfao: JK!

Either way, to me we live in a luxury based society- there is a huge push toward luxury goods and that does create some sort of status behind them. It goes for cars, electronics, homes, schooling, etc, etc, etc.

Just think, Bill Gates drives a HONDA!

People will always justify- but if we like it, does it really matter?! I may like a bag because of the way the leather feels, or it is a hard to find bag, or I love the logo, but either way, we should all just worry about ourselves?! :shrugs:

Having bought bags from many price points (low, medium and high), I can honestly say that the designer bags I have bought are far better quality than the non-designer.

I'm absolutely sure that they would not be better quality, for the price, than an unsigned bag, which has been handcrafted by an artisan.

But, compared with non-designer high street bags, there has been no comparison.

ITA. Even now, I use the very first LV my mom got back in the late 80s and it's in gorgeous condition. You can't say that about certain other bags.
These bags are done by hand by craftsman who excel in their craft, not by computerized sewing machine. Also, you can't really say that about too many companies these days.

Definitely, the status thing does it for me... to a point. There are a lot of other designer bags out there but the styles don't spin my wheels.

But then again, handbags are my thing. I'll happily wear a $10 top and a $50 pair of pants with a $2000 handbag and a $40 pair of shoes. No biggie.

I completely agree. It's really not very smart to make such non-factual based blanket statements about certain groups of people for one reason or another (i.e. the type of car they drive or bags they carry).
Do someone's reasons for buying this or that really affect your daily life? I hardly think so. Sure I like my designer bags but it's not like I go around asking people why they buy non-designer bags (because yes, I do have those too). So why question the motives of those who DO buy designer bags?
Wasn't this just discussed on the other hot topic on here about one person who got talked down to because she carried a designer bag? She was invited to STAY here because that wouldn't happen and it appears that it's happening in this topic, unfortunately.
We're here because we all love purses. So why bash people because they like designer bags or question their motives for buying them? :shrugs:

it's kinda hard to fake having money thru bags alone. i mean, you have to travel a lot, eat at expensive restaurants, live in a luxurious home, and own a fancy car. bags are just bags.

People will always justify- but if we like it, does it really matter?! I may like a bag because of the way the leather feels, or it is a hard to find bag, or I love the logo, but either way, we should all just worry about ourselves?! :shrugs:

The question really has no answer. Many people may buy a bag partially or even fully because of the status they believe it imparts, but they might not even be aware that this is their subconscious reasoning. It could take years for each of us to get to the bottom of our love for bags or a certain kind of bags, and honestly, it's just not worth that!

Everyone has their "thing." My sister will gladly carry a no-name bag, but refuses to wear anything but real jewelry. Another of my friends doesn't care about bags, but only buys designer shoes. Yet another really, really cares about driving luxury vehicles, but isn't interested in bags or fashion.

Bags happen to be my "thing." I don't find that anymore unusual than anyone else's "thing"!