ODE to Box Calf

Hi! Newbie here and starting my Hermes journey :smile: I love the look of box and the fact that it develops a patina over time and wanted to get a vintage box Kelly as my first Hermes. But I live in the PNW and am worried about all the rain on box. Curious if anyone else lives in a rainy climate and how you protect the box calf? Or would it be better for me to get a different leather like Chevre? Thank you in advance!

If it's going to be your one and only, I would go with a different leather. I live in the UK and we have a lot of rain (more or less depending on where exactly). I have 5 Box bags. I'll keep a plastic bag in my bags JIC, but the key thing is having other bags you can use when you know it's going to pour.

Hi! Newbie here and starting my Hermes journey :smile: I love the look of box and the fact that it develops a patina over time and wanted to get a vintage box Kelly as my first Hermes. But I live in the PNW and am worried about all the rain on box. Curious if anyone else lives in a rainy climate and how you protect the box calf? Or would it be better for me to get a different leather like Chevre? Thank you in advance!
I have 2 vintage boxes and they are no strawberries. My 2 year old threw my 20 year old box plume down 2 stories once and it survived with nary a scratch. I have also held my box in a drizzle a few times (albeit a short while and quickly dried off with tissue paper), they have survived pretty good, only once did a couple of blisters threaten to form but once dried they look completely normal

I don't have much experience with lighter coloured box leather. Is it prone to colour transfer as well?
colour transfer is dependent on how colourfast the item that makes contact is
obviously if something pale comes into contact with a darker item that is not colourfast it is likely that the darker colour will show
it might be easier to wipe away the transfer from a smooth/shiny surface than a more textured porous surface
but this idea of attributing colour transfer to a bag is seeing the problem back to front

• Insightful
  • Thanks
Reactions: 880 and mktlim
colour transfer is dependent on how colourfast the item that makes contact is
obviously if something pale comes into contact with a darker item that is not colourfast it is likely that the darker colour will show
it might be easier to wipe away the transfer from a smooth/shiny surface than a more textured porous surface
but this idea of attributing colour transfer to a bag is seeing the problem back to front

Thank you @WhiteBus , I'm debating on getting a preloved box bag in a light colour and I always wear dark denim. This is definitely helpful!

Do you own this Bolide or are you considering purchasing it? You'll need more clear close-up photos to ascertain dryness. The production year will be helpful, but Box can stay gorgeous for generations or it can dry out much sooner if not stored and conditioned properly.
Hi @stillfabulous - I now own this bag, and I am thrilled with it. It's from 2003, and barely used.

Reactions: GabrielleS
If it's going to be your one and only, I would go with a different leather. I live in the UK and we have a lot of rain (more or less depending on where exactly). I have 5 Box bags. I'll keep a plastic bag in my bags JIC, but the key thing is having other bags you can use when you know it's going to pour.
I’m sure my accountant would hope it would be my one and only, but that is good advice! And that’s a good idea about being prepared with JIC plastic bags and using other bags

Reactions: papertiger
I have 2 vintage boxes and they are no strawberries. My 2 year old threw my 20 year old box plume down 2 stories once and it survived with nary a scratch. I have also held my box in a drizzle a few times (albeit a short while and quickly dried off with tissue paper), they have survived pretty good, only once did a couple of blisters threaten to form but once dried they look completely normal
I’m glad your 2 year old didn’t drop it in the toilet instead. And that’s amazing to hear your vintage boxes have held up! Thank you for giving me hope!

Got my first kelly today!!!!!!! 20 years old and pristine and so so special as this year is my 20th wedding anniversary :smile:
I debated back and forth about sellier vs retourne and if I wanted box and am so very happy with this combo. The box with gold hardware is just soooo divine.

Attachments

• IMG_9226.jpeg
    IMG_9226.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 411243521_1113027106712743_5341095459056962054_n.jpeg
    411243521_1113027106712743_5341095459056962054_n.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 91