Scarves Ode to Annie Faivre

I'm so glad this thread was revived!! The runaway hit from Spring 2015!! :love:

Cavaliers du Caucase 90cm silk, colorway 09 - tabac/orange/multicolour.
300wln7.png
Georgous, dear HNN! I saw this IRL this weekend, and it's the best design this season for sure. Not having much luck with CWs so far, but I hope one will like me back!

Speaking of monkeys, I've never understood why she didn't put a monkey on Circus. Of all the scarves that should have one!

Also, I haven't found one on Grands Fonds, and I've looked and looked. Has anyone had better success than I have?
You look lovely dear Elaine! The consensus from an earlier discussion in this thread seems to be that there is no monkey in Grands Fonds. Just lots of sea creatures!
http://forum.purseblog.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Georgous, dear HNN! I saw this IRL this weekend, and it's the best design this season for sure. Not having much luck with CWs so far, but I hope one will like me back!

You look lovely dear Elaine! The consensus from an earlier discussion in this thread seems to be that there is no monkey in Grands Fonds. Just lots of sea creatures!
http://forum.purseblog.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Thank you, Sophie! Well, since I live by the ocean, I will be very happy just enjoying the sea creatures in Grands Fonds.:smile:

Speaking of monkeys, I've never understood why she didn't put a monkey on Circus. Of all the scarves that should have one!

Also, I haven't found one on Grands Fonds, and I've looked and looked. Has anyone had better success than I have?

Oh, that's lovely! The green is so nice on you

After not having any AF until last season (MM) I now have another 2 with my recent acquisitions of CduC 14 and 16 (I hope those numbers are correct, these were bought on line which means the stickers are pulled off)

HcdCscarf_zpsdli7xrur.jpg

CacduC16_zps46uteptm.jpg

Lanit! You found MetM in a consignment shop???? I have good luck finding H scarves in one of my local consignment shops, but never this year's design! Well done! ;)
Yes dear, it was totally serendipity, and in like new condition. Less than half price. I love a great find like this. Especially since it was the day before my zodiac year of the Ram!

Time to revive this thread with a few of the newest designs and reissues!

First, Zénobie, Reine de Palmyre.

P1020370.JPG

The scarf has taken an even more poignant meaning with all the atrocities committed by the Islamic State in Palmyra, as many of the treasures from Queen Zenobia’s time are being destroyed.

Palmyre-dans-la-ligne-de-mire_article_landscape_pm_v8.jpg

Credit: Paris Match

The scarf pictures some of her jewelry, and Annie Faivre of course incorporated her signature monkey in the ring.

P1020368.JPG

P1020369.JPG

You can see from this book cover than Annie Faivre drew some inspiration from actual jewelry from Palmyra.

Zenobie livre.jpg

Credit: Le Seuil Editions

Queen Zenobia was one of the most powerful women in history, and I was inspired to read a little more about her while looking at this scarf. She was queen of the Palmyrene realm in Syria in the 3rd century BC, and decided to expand her empire and rise up against Rome. She conquered Egypt, Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and Chalcedon (modern day Lebanon and Israel/Palestine). She was finally defeated by Emperor Aurelian in 271 BC, and was taken to Rome. It is not known how she died.

Annie Faivre is not the first artist of course to be inspired by her fascinating story – the painting below is by Tiepolo and shows Zenobia begging Emperor Aurelian.

Tiepolo_-_Il_trionfo_di_Aureliano.jpg
Credit: Wikipedia.

We do not have a likeness of her, except for a coin – I think I prefer the pretty Annie Faivre portrait on the scarf!

Denarius-Zenobia-s3290.jpg
Credit: Wikipedia

P1020366.JPG

Reactions: Bijouxlady
Time to revive this thread with a few of the newest designs and reissues!

First, Zénobie, Reine de Palmyre.

The scarf has taken an even more poignant meaning with all the atrocities committed by the Islamic State in Palmyra, as many of the treasures from Queen Zenobia’s time are being destroyed.

Credit: Paris Match

The scarf pictures some of her jewelry, and Annie Faivre of course incorporated her signature monkey in the ring.

You can see from this book cover than Annie Faivre drew some inspiration from actual jewelry from Palmyra.

Credit: Le Seuil Editions

Queen Zenobia was one of the most powerful women in history, and I was inspired to read a little more about her while looking at this scarf. She was queen of the Palmyrene realm in Syria in the 3rd century BC, and decided to expand her empire and rise up against Rome. She conquered Egypt, Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and Chalcedon (modern day Lebanon and Israel/Palestine). She was finally defeated by Emperor Aurelian in 271 BC, and was taken to Rome. It is not known how she died.

Annie Faivre is not the first artist of course to be inspired by her fascinating story – the painting below is by Tiepolo and shows Zenobia begging Emperor Aurelian.

Credit: Wikipedia.

We do not have a likeness of her, except for a coin – I think I prefer the pretty Annie Faivre portrait on the scarf!

Credit: Wikipedia

Thanks for the details and story behind this scarf! I never knew the scarf was related to the queen. When I read the story here, I recall the statue in the huntington library which I admired every time when I visit. I can literally sit in front of her for the afternoon. Now I need to go hunting for the scarf. :P Thanks for sharing.
http://emuseum.huntington.org/view/objects/asitem/People$00401914/1/title-asc?t:state:flow=27503db5-d04e-49ff-aad4-fe631a7b6139

Reviving this thread is a great idea. Thanks, Sophieg!

Cavaliers du Caucase (more pictures and profile on my thread here).
SS 2015
90cm twill
Annie Faivre
Color : mahogany/antique gold/black
Ref. : H002874S 16

Cavaliers du Caucase.JPG

Caucase 5.JPG

Caucase 4.JPG