Need opinions on which townhouse

Tropigal3

Jan 2, 2012
I've been looking to buy a townhouse and here's my dilemma. There are two types of townhouses that I'm looking at. My mom is elderly and on rare occasion comes by, maybe 6 times a year. (She lives only 30 minutes from me) Because of her age, she has difficulty with stairs, mostly walking down them. What would YOU choose and why?

The floorpans are almost exactly the same with the exception of the bathrooms. One has 2 full baths and the other has one full and one half bath (toilet & sink only). The prices are the same.

No. 1
Upstairs unit
2 br, 2 bath, 2 parking
830 sq ft. with small patio overlooking a gulch and homes/golf course about two miles on the other side.
Con: My mom would have difficulty walking up/down the stairs if she visits me.

No 2
Downstairs unit
2 br, 1 & 1/2 baths, 2 parking
750 sq ft. with very small yard.
Con: The building is in the middle of other buildings in this small subdivision so no real view.

Do not understand why they are the same price when the second one is smaller, 1st floor and a smaller bathroom. Anyway, if you prefer the 2nd floor, you can buy a motorized stair chair for about $3,000 to $4,000 for your mom.

They are both in a great area within a quarter mile of each other. First floor units generally come with a small yards which most people in the area prefer. So prices balance out to be the same even tho the upstairs unit is larger. In any case, I've decided on the upstairs unit because the one on the 1st floor is just too small and really...I probably wouldn't sit outside anyway since the view is of parking and other buildings. I'll just have to help my mom when she comes over. Thanks anyway.