Food Need a good apple recipe

*Freetoes*

but I want it!
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
I make apple crisp a lot, but I'm looking for something new. We have fresh picked apples from this weekend, it's a cold fall night outside, and I'm wanting something smelling good from the kitchen!! :P

Any ideas??

I did baked Apple Dumplings stuffed with almonds and dried fruit for Thanksgiving and served them with a caramel sauce and creme anglaise. They turned out really well.

Sorry, didn't get back to you faster. These are really good with firm tart apples
Here it is
Pastry - yield for 4 small apples
2 cups ap flour
9 tbl butter
1/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 egg

Filling
1/2 cup almonds blanched
various dried fruit to make up one cup- I used cranberries, currants and sour cherries
3 tbl honey
shot of rum or whisky
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl

You can do the pastry by hand or in a food processer using the pulse button - just combine all ingredients until they just hold together and chill in the fridge for an hour or so
Peel and core apples
Stuff with the stuffing
Roll out the pastry to 1/8 inche on a floured surface - you have to work fast, if it gets too sticky just re-chill it
Cut out a circle and wrap the apple
You can cut out leaves with the extra dough to cover the seam at the top if you want
Chill the covered apples
Brush with egg yolk and a bit of water right before baking them at 375 for 30 min - I hate baking times - wait until the pastry is golden and a bit brown. You can test the apples using a cake tester. I like them to be still a little firm.

Hope you enjoy them