My theory on choosing the best 'neutral' colour for a bag

I tend to choose color by these rules and judge by how it looks on me:

1. Basic or must have colors (Natural) - As in Black, Gold or MF, White or beige.

2. Fun colors ( Color that pops and makes me happy) - Fuschia, Red, Blue, Yellow, Potiron.. list can be expend.

I agree that each person has her own natural color which looks best one them. So what Gold to be a natural color for someone may not look as good for someone else.

If I can only have one Birkin, probably black or Gold will be my choice. Because they are clasic, I can carry these colors year around, and they look good on me.:shrugs:

Sweetea, what's MF, is it marron fonce? If it IS marron fonce, is this a dark brown colour?

Hmm, that's true, I used to wear a lot of beige, thought I was going to disappear into the carpets and wallpaper once, now I wear a lot of black and DD thinks I'm really boring, LOL. A contrast for my fairish colouring would probably be a dark brown to match my eyes, although for my wild card, I think I would turn to vert Anis

My mother had a friend we used to call the "beige lady"...beige hair, clothes etc, LOL.

Yes vert anis, any of the rouges, blues are all wonderful for fair skinned, blondish girls. I have all of the above and as a green eyed w/blonde/brown hair, they work:yes: And PS, I wear a lot of black also as I think it makes for good contrast.

I am paging through a style book...the gal writing the forward indicates she asks herself three questions...

Do I love it?
Is it flattering?
Does it project the image I want to portray?

Makes sense to me...

Maybe it was a subconscious decision about your black Kelly! What colour are your eyes, are they brown?

I think on the whole, it is a bit of fun but it's one more thing to consider perhaps when faced with that final black vs gold decision (one in each colour is the answer!)
My eyes are very dark brown, nearly black, so much darker than chocolate I think. I chose brown because I wanted an alternative to black, and in Togo it was so easy to use, as my go-with-most-things fall/winter workhorse bag.
Yes, I think one black and one gold is really ideal. Once I have that, I feel I am pretty much covered and everything else is icing on the cake.

Sweetea, what's MF, is it marron fonce? If it IS marron fonce, is this a dark brown colour?

allaboutnice, yes MF is Marron Fonce. To me it is not dark brown. More like dark cofee color with marroon undertone. Just gorgeous! Here the bag used to be my MF, 32 cm Hac but she is longer mine:crybaby: . I def. will have this color again if I ever see it again.

attachment.php

allaboutnice, yes MF is Marron Fonce. To me it is not dark brown. More like dark cofee color with marroon undertone. Just gorgeous! Here the bag used to be my MF, 32 cm Hac but she is longer mine:crybaby: . I def. will have this color again if I ever see it again.

attachment.php
that is definitely the color i am after---which leather is it sweetea

My eyes are very dark brown, nearly black, so much darker than chocolate I think. I chose brown because I wanted an alternative to black, and in Togo it was so easy to use, as my go-with-most-things fall/winter workhorse bag.
Yes, I think one black and one gold is really ideal. Once I have that, I feel I am pretty much covered and everything else is icing on the cake.

Ebene sounds like a good colour for you, it's almost black, dark chocolate.

That's a beauty, not nearly as dark as I imagined, almost between brown and rouge H. Thanks for that photo. I am slowly collecting small leather goodies in various neutral shades for my bags, wallets, agendas etc and I think a little something in MF would look very nice in my collection, not very impresive at the moment, I have gold, etoupe and the au lait and I am after something in noisette and now, MF.

My definition of a "neutral" for an accessory is a color that will go with most everything in my extremely boringly neutral wardrobe. So I normally ask...will it go with black, navy, white, taupe clothing and shoes? I find that most Hermes brights generally do, so I look at a bag as my opportunity to add a pop of color.

Having said that, I do find that I also gravitate towards what Color Me Beautiful tells me are my colors (I'm a winter). In bags, at least. In makeup, hells no. I distinctly remember an 80s makeover with fuschia eyeshadow that still makes me cringe in agony. What's that phobia called when you're afraid of clowns?

I totally agree with your theory. I've had something similar on my mind for ages but never actually put it to practice. I keep buying everything in black even though my colouring would benefit millions from warmer colours. I've been told to be an autumn. I guess I think with so much black clothing already, I might as well just buy stuff that will match. Oh well..