MUST-READ: stats/facts/quirky quotes about almighty handbag (Shop Etc 9/06 issue)

1. (source: SHOP Etc SEPTEMBER 2006)

Bag of Tricks
    Get carried away by these stats, facts and quirky quotes about the almighty handbag.

1 in 10
    Number of women willing to spend $150 or more on a handbag.

The highest price that a luxury handbag (the Hermes Birkin) sold for on eBay.

Percentage of women who would spurge on a handbag if they could choose only one designer item. Only 9% would choose shoes.

"Man Purse"
    The name might have negative connotations now, but back in the 1800s, purses were small bags used to hold coins. Only men carried them.

5 lbs 9 oz.
    Weigh of the average SHOP Etc staffer's handbag.

3 lbs
    Weight of the average woman's handbag.

Number of bags Marc Jacobs has named after models, including the "Daria" (Werbowy), "Karolina" (Kurkova) and "Christy" (Turlington).

Number of handbags the average woman owns.

Amount the average woman spent on her last handbag.

Gucci Medium Boston Bag
    Fendi B.Bag
    Louis Vuitton Baggy PM Denim Bag
    The three most-requested "rental" bags on

"No woman I know
    could ever be a terrorist. Put a bomb in a Gucci bag? Oh, no way!" -- Joan Rivers

3 in 4 women
    Have a "favorite" handbag.

Handbagging (v: to bruise)
    Origin: Margaret Thatcher's no-holds-barred debating style and her lust for handbags.
    Meaning: Her words had left her opponent as metaphorically bruised as if she had swung her handbag at him.
  2. $42?!

I don't think I've ever spent $42 on a handbag!

lol @ Joan Rivers' quote :smile:
  3. Interesting stats!
  4. I wish I was still only spending $42 on handbags....gosh my whole house would be full of them....**sigh** unfortunately my tastes have gone up quite a bit.....
  5. No woman I know
    could ever be a terrorist. Put a bomb in a Gucci bag? Oh, no way!" -- Joan Rivers

This one funny...

Very intersting stats..thanks for sharing..
  6. That was interesting...thanks for letting us know
  7. bag.lover:

What did think of the bag in the picture with stats? I thought the color looked gorgeous but I'd like to see it in person.
  8. IndyCat, I think the style and color are nice. I am usually not a fan of this type of material though, I prefer plain leather. I wonder how the sides of the bag look like, wait to see it in person first. =)
  9. Great stats!! Thanks for posting!
  10. bag.lover - I agree that stamped leather can be hit or miss - but I think it works well in some designs. There isn't a Furla boutique where I am - maybe Nordstrom or Saks will carry it and I will be able to see it IRL.

11. Taupe is available at Nordstrom online for $455USD, it's considered Extra Large size. Dune and Onyx are also listed, but they are probably regular leather?

Furla 'Yolande' Pleated Shopper

Pleated, croc-embossed shopper is embellished with an oversized leather tassel.

Two-way zip closure.
    Interior zip and cell phone pockets.
    Protective metal feet.
    By Furla; imported.

item# 54968
    price: $455.00
    Fit: Extra-large: Holds at least a magazine, water bottle, full-size wallet and sweater.
    Dimensions: 18"W x 15"H x 6"D. Hand-held strap. Strap drop: 7".

12. Interesting stats, thanks for sharing!
  13. thats interesting thanks :smile:
  14. Thanks bag lover. I too saw the pics on Nordstrom's website and also on but no one seems to be showing the red.:cry: It was the deep red color that caught my attention in the magazine pic. Oh well, I guess that's $455 I can save for something else! Thanks again for helping me look. :p

15. $42 the average price? What kind of distribution around this average I wonder? What demographic? I was thinking more like $420, haha.