Must-have make up brushes

Anna1

O.G.
Dec 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

I know there are other threads about make up brushes, but I saw that in most of them, posters recommend the brand overall, not the specific brushes, but there might be good and bad brushes in the same brand..so what I am asking is: What are your must have make up brushes? I am looking to update my brushes kit, and only want to have and keep the "best" and "absolute must-have" ones. Of course, I know "best and must-have" might be different for everyone, but it's always good to hear different views before making a decision. I heard great reviews about Chikuhodo, Hakuhodo, Suqqu and Tom Ford, I know they are on a pricier side, but that's why I wanted to hear different opinions before buying. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I know there are other threads about make up brushes, but I saw that in most of them, posters recommend the brand overall, not the specific brushes, but there might be good and bad brushes in the same brand..so what I am asking is: What are your must have make up brushes? I am looking to update my brushes kit, and only want to have and keep the "best" and "absolute must-have" ones. Of course, I know "best and must-have" might be different for everyone, but it's always good to hear different views before making a decision. I heard great reviews about Chikuhodo, Hakuhodo, Suqqu and Tom Ford, I know they are on a pricier side, but that's why I wanted to hear different opinions before buying. Thanks in advance!

Marc Jacob's bronzer brush is a must-have! I use it for applying bronzer and powder foundation. It is pricy ($68) but it is well worth the money. I bought mine during Sephora's 20% off sale.

The Charlotte tilbury bronze and glow brush- the tapered one does Everyrhing... Contour, highlight, blush setting under eye powder..... I want some of the Wayne gods brushes. Sigma copper ferrule eye brush are great and very practical

Marc Jacob's bronzer brush is a must-have! I use it for applying bronzer and powder foundation. It is pricy ($68) but it is well worth the money. I bought mine during Sephora's 20% off sale.

I got mine at sephora's sale too!!! 😄😄😄 loving this brush too! But I heard about the Tom Ford bronzing brush that it is amazing, and suuuuper soft, so I want to compare the two. (But it is a bit more than 100, so I am still thinking..)

The Charlotte tilbury bronze and glow brush- the tapered one does Everyrhing... Contour, highlight, blush setting under eye powder..... I want some of the Wayne gods brushes. Sigma copper ferrule eye brush are great and very practical

I never tried anything from Charlotte Tilbury, so I will definitely look into her brushes!! I heard great reviews from WG brushes, as well as bad reviews, so I don't even know whom to believe...

I use Chikuhodo & Tom Ford brushes. I also have purchased Hakuhodo but
do prefer Chik & TF

I have the cheek brush, eye brush, lip brush from Chikuhodo & I have the foundation
brush from Tom Ford.

I did not buy them all at once I purchased them at different times because I
wanted to see how they washed & the level of quality & ease of application.

There is a blog sweetmakeuptemptations & she goes into great detail about
brushes at all prices.. This helped me make some of my decisions as to what was
really functional in a wardrobe of makeup brushes.

Real Techniques buffing brush- I use this every day for applying foundation and blending everything together.
MAC 239- best brush for applying shadow to lid
Hakuhodo j5523- a better,softer version of MAC 217. I use this daily to blend shadow
Real Techniques detail brush- my go to lip brush

I haven't found a cheek brush I love. I have MAC 116 and it's scratchy. MAC 129 is less scratchy, but still not a favorite. Most often I use Sephora pro angled blush brush.

Real Techniques - Expert face brush (super multipurpose)
Chikuhodo Z-4 - Also multipurpose (blush, powder, bronzer, etc)
Hakuhodo J142 - I think this is the one but it's a crease brush that's slightly tapered and it's amazing for placing color and blending.

Real Techniques - Expert face brush (super multipurpose)

Hakuhodo J142 - I think this is the one but it's a crease brush that's slightly tapered and it's amazing for placing color and blending.

I also have the expert face brush. I think it's a close second to their buffing brush. I think having one or the other is good enough.

I have the Hakuhodo S142. It's the blue squirrel version of the same brush. I use it several times a week too. Good brush.

Last edited:
I also love some of the real techniques brushes, but my favorite is the Expert brush. It's a good price/value, but I still feel like I want a better one? Another favorite of mine is the shiseido foundation brush! That little one is amazing! And I have a beautyblender, I think it does a great job (sorry, it is not a brush). I have some MAC brushes but they are not soft enough for me, especially the 217.. 😢 it scratches my skin.

I am really tempted to buy some Chikuhodo and Hakuhodo brushes, but there are so many, it's really hard to choose lol. Does anyone know what is the difference between the red line and black line of Hakuhodo? I heard different theories.. As for now, 142 and 5523 are on my list. Anyone tried S125?