more tips - from the stylish and experienced HERMES ladies:starter bag

LADY SARAH's TIPS

6. Clarify your motivation. What do you expect this bag to do for you? Make you look more stylish, or just look richer? Is it a flattering look or does it feel awkward? Do you want it because all your friends/celebrities have one or maybe you just like the logo associations? or maybe you simply want one because you are one those few people who truly admire the workmanship. If that's the case you may actually like other Hermes items as they share the same ethos and attention to detail. Personally I don't own many H bags, but I love a lot items in their home range and buy them for my house.

Sent from my iPad

Excellent post, ladysarah. I often lament the fact that Hermes bags have become such the status symbol and celebrity bling. It's so contrary to everything I've always thought Hermes stands for - the quiet quality and workmanship and understated elegance. I couldn't care less about logos - I abhor them for the most part. I just am in awe of the craftsmanship and quality, and the timelessness of the handmade items. I could look at the stitching and detail on my bags for hours, and find myself staring at the leather and colors of my bags all the time. I just marvel at the skill and attention to detail it took one person to craft such an item of beauty.
In a way, it's a shame that these bags have become the symbol of wealth and status - I wonder how many celebrities who own 20 or 30 Birkins really take the time to appreciate and care for them (generalizing, I know).

Thank God for the wonderful members of tpf - I finally feel that I've found a group of like-minded people who have a real reverence for the history, quality, and beauty of Hermes.

In any case, thank you for your post. And your Plume is just lovely. What leather is it, and what is its age (if I may ask)? I'd love to see modeling shots as well - wear her in the best of health!

adding a little photo of my new gold plume. (please ignore Lady Beatrice pushing her way in the photo...) I have high hopes for this bag as a useful spring summer wardrobe staple. modelling photos will follow...

Sent from my iPad

Love your new Plume. They are such underrated bags. I have a 28 cm and a 32 cm. Plumes are: elegant, under the radar, easy to carry, easy to access, secure and light. The work with casual and business attire.

BTW, if you have an Evelyne or Kelly canvas strap, it can be re-purposed to work on the Plume to make it cross body.

darling i congratulate on the bags truly they are unique and honestly fit you beautifully.
i have to say many of the issues you discuss though interesting in a personal realization even justification kind of manifesto... seem wise and very much unique.but truly i think the way you seem to comment on how others choose to wear Hermes really borders on judgement i just wanted to note this since i think it reads almost......well anyways i meant to say enjoy in the best of health and congrats on your bags !! best as always birkel

Love your new Plume. They are such underrated bags. I have a 28 cm and a 32 cm. Plumes are: elegant, under the radar, easy to carry, easy to access, secure and light. The work with casual and business attire.

BTW, if you have an Evelyne or Kelly canvas strap, it can be re-purposed to work on the Plume to make it cross body.

so true the plume is amazing !!!

adding a little photo of my new gold plume. (please ignore Lady Beatrice pushing her way in the photo...)

Thank you so much for this post. It is spectacularly level headed, very articulate, and a really great dose of reality in this forum that really indulges all my H dreams fantasies! haha. As a H new(ish)bie - Thank you!!! :biggrin:

adding a little photo of my new gold plume. (please ignore Lady Beatrice pushing her way in the photo...) I have high hopes for this bag as a useful spring summer wardrobe staple. modelling photos will follow...

...and

here are my parting tips on hermes bags spoken with the wisdom :biggrin: of my experience.

LADY SARAH's TIPS
1. I suggest to anyone thinking of sinking their funds on an H bag to research it thoroughly and SEE the actual bag ( or similar) in REAL LIFE rather than a photo. If you do not live somewhere where this is possible consider whether the purchase is suitable for your lifestyle in the first place. (I know nobody wants to hear that, nevertheless it could save a fortune not to mention a possible divorce in the long run)

2. Go to the boutiques and check out the different leathers and styles. (Hermes had an exhibition in London last year which I visited, repeatedly. Great way to see the craftspeople and learn about the leather). Do not fixate on a Birkin or a Kelly - just see what they have available without committing. In any case I ve always found the sales people at Hermes very helpful. In general they will offer good advice and are not in the least bit pushy. Hold it, try it on, LOOK in the mirror. Some things are beautiful in themselves but not 'me', too big, too small, too bright...

3. Before you purchase consider your wardrobe, lifestyle and climate you primarily live in. At the very least, research some inspirational photos of people with similar taste in clothes and how they carry their Hermes with finesse. Personally, I think black box Kelly's look odd with tropical floaty, loose outfits and birkins do not look good at all, if they are big and you are four feet tall. It's a lot of money to pay not to look good, and make no mistake if you do not look great with your H you will attract uncharitable comments. (yes yes I know who cares what people say? Well just in case you do...)my rule is I should not be able to fit inside my bag. Not too much to ask is it?

4. I know it's a heresy but a black croc Birkin is not the holy grail for everyone, even if they could afford it. It would not suit me, for example, as I dont like reptiles and would look very conspicuous running for the bus, lugging the thing about. LOL colours: hermes colours look very saturated - some of the brightest ones I find are unsuitable for northern climates. but again check what works with your wardrobe. I generally feel more comfortable with unrecognisable, muted colours for my things, as in my group of friends and family ostentation is a criminal offence... Yawn....)

5. Where I live I see a lot of people with Hermes bags and boots. Most of them do not look good, I regret to say, because the rest of their outfit is not considered. What I mean by that is the H bag needs to be integrated into a coherent look, ( this is what I mean by 'training to carry a Kelly') and not just carry the bag like The spartans in their hey day carried their shields. Occasionally' I do see someone who looks superb in their H and then I try too make mental notes why. Usually is because the bag is in proportion with the person, the clothes are simple cut, flattering and well fitting. (not too baggy or bursting rolls of fat out of them) and the physique is healthy looking and trim. There is only so much a bag can do you know....Is the rest of the wardrobe and grooming routine up to par? In order to look good - most people, need a better haircut and a good fitness regime and less expensive designer things.

6. Clarify your motivation. What do you expect this bag to do for you? Make you look more stylish, or just look richer? Is it a flattering look or does it feel awkward? Do you want it because all your friends/celebrities have one or maybe you just like the logo associations? or maybe you simply want one because you are one those few people who truly admire the workmanship. If that's the case you may actually like other Hermes items as they share the same ethos and attention to detail. Personally I don't own many H bags, but I love a lot items in their home range and buy them for my house.

7. Whatever happens do not stoop to buying a counterfeit thinking that you will save money and no one can tell anyway. Fake is always a tacky look and enough people can tell to make this a potentially embarrassing situation. (Not to mention the illegal aspect, irresponsible purchases etc etc...I posted my views on this http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/why-do-people-buy-fake-designer-bags-fake-896.html It's is quite shocking how many TPF people seemed able to justify what is a very serious matter) If you simply like the shape of the bag to compliment an outfit and dont want to get a second mortgage, there are other brands who make near identical shapes minus the logo, handmade in good quality finishes, for a fraction of the cost. Much better choice! Vintage/2nd hand is also an option and can look absolutely charming. However, do bear in mind vintage is not for everyone and can also look frumpy and aging for some women. ( Check out this http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/share-a-train-wreck-434757.html) Be realistic about your tolerance of used items. Personally I don't mind something with a bit of character but not when it's dirty. Also I dislike paying extortionate prices for 'pre loved' its 2nd hand darling, so call it what it is.

8. And the hot question: How many bags do you need? Well this is a question that could start world war III...Do remember, one can only carry one bag at a time, ( yes it's your money and you 'can do whatever you like'. ) Currently I ve decided To do more with my money such as concentrate more on other things... Battersea home for cats being my favourite pet project. My new rule is I give for 'good causes' at least twice the amount it would cost me to buy a new Hermes bag. So - hermes prices being what they are- I shall be rescuing a lot of stray cats for the price of a Kelly bag...

Finally, in my view, one never regrets buying something high quality and suitable for their lifestyle - so all the best and I hope you found this thread useful. My own motivation is to be helpful and limit the madness that can sometimes prevail on potential purchases...I think this forum can be great to exchange ideas and tips, but it can also get a little stifling and insincere with everyone repeating the same things and being after the same holy grail items no matter what their personal circumstances may be.

Sent from my iPad

:smile: well thought of tips! Thanks for this ladySarah

Lovely Gold Plume, and I love the way you look with Kelly 28 .
Now, having read your list of tips ,I've done what I should have done months ago: booked for a good cut at a new hairdresser ....
Hate having stuff done to me, so much easier visit H and gaze at the finery . But as you wisely say , what's finery without excellent posture and some decent grooming?

I'm totally non bling and have an aversion to it for myself , as I find my rather low key looks and vibe can't support it in a credible way .
I do love the diversity of ways in which women on the forum wear their bags and scarves , but in the end it always has to feel natural for me .
Cut a long story...I just can't commit to a Kelly as it seems so 'major' ,but feel in my comfort zone with my Trim and old Amazonia GP.

I'd love it if there were a way to test drive a bag for a month , dream on!