Meet Troy! New Cat Parent Questions!!!

prof ash

O.G.
Jun 10, 2007
Hi all! Meet Troy!! This is long, I pretty much want to lay my new cat's health out and see what everyone thinks, so be warned! My fiance and I recently adopted a 3 year old cat from a shelter. He is our first pet together and I am so happy to finally have a cat of our own rather than the family pets we had growing up... this is MY baby!! :smile:

Anyway, since we brought him home, he has been a complete lovebug - curling up next to me to sleep, kneading us and giving us kisses, always wanting to be on our laps, making cute 'cooing' noises... he's wonderful.

We brought him to the vet one week after getting him for a checkup, as the shelter recommended, and also because we had noticed the signs of tapeworm - the little rice-looking pellets they leave around. The vet gave him a drontal tablet and he has been fine since then, she said to give him dose #2 in 3 weeks to be sure. We've given him Frontline Plus just in case he did have fleas, and the vet said he looked fine.

Now that it's been a little over a week, I've noticed other things that are getting me nervous, but I feel like the vet would've/should've pointed them out if there really was a problem, given it was his first checkup with her, we are new patients there, and first time cat owners on our own.

He did have an upper respiratory infection when he got to the shelter and was treated for it. Even when we saw him in the shelter, and now, I notice that his eyes have small tear lines and that his third eyelid is visible in the corners of his eyes. I googled it and freaked - I found info about Horner's syndrome and things like that, but also things that said in some cats it's normal to see a bit of the white part. I've attached pics so you can all give me an opinion of if he looks healthy or if I have need for concern. Honestly, it's only a tiny bit of white, but I don't know if that's normal in some cats.

He also has chin acne... I thought it was flea dirt and it turns out, upon googling, he has cat acne, which can be caused by a number of things.

Lastly, he has very fine fur on his hind legs and belly... the vet said this is probably from having fleas at one point or from stress. You can see it in the pictures. I haven't seen him licking lately, so maybe he's over it.

I am caring for him in all the ways I've read- wiping his eyes with a warm wet cloth, wiping his chin and dabbing peroxide on at night with a cottonball, and just giving him love so he feels as comfortable in a new place as possible and not as stressed from being left, in a shelter, and then in a brand new home.

My questions are... what are your experiences with 1) how much of the white part (third eyelid) you see in your cat and 2) cats overly licking off their fur and if it grows back or if some cats just do this out of nervousness?

I don't know if I'm being too much of a worrywart- when we brought him to the vet, she did what I thought was a thorough checkup and kept saying how nice of a cat he was, how well-tempered, and healthy. I feel like she would've mentioned any of these things as problems if they were, and I'm kind of mad I paid for her to give a "wellness checkup" just to find he had cat acne, might need eye drops, and she didn't even offer to see if he needed his nails clipped or anything which I've been told is a norm. Ugh. I am a generally worrisome person, so I don't know if I'm transferring that to caring for this new animal in my life or if he really may seem to have any issues. Thank you for any and all support/tips!!!
100_2788.JPG

100_2789.JPG

100_2781.JPG

Your Troy is adorable.
His chin acne may go away if you feed him from a ceramic bowl. I used to use those twin plastic cat bowls and I noticed three of my cats had acne and it stopped once I started feeding them from ceramic bowls.
All his other symptoms may be connected from being in a shelter and general bad health. Now you're looking after him, I suspect he'll improve in leaps and bounds. Keep in touch with your vet if anything continues to concern you. Good luck and all the best and thanks for adopting him from a shelter.

I would bring up all your concern with your vet next time you go see them... or give them a call at the vet office????

I see that you and your finance are great caring pet parents! and Troy is very little to have you as parents!!! He is a handsome boy

I hope there is no major issue with Troy... when i first got my fur baby, Hayden, I overworried too! maybe one you guys get to know each other, all the worries will ease!!!

Keep us posted on Troy! :hugs:

The fur loss looks like the result of stress to me. When we first adopted our cat Baby (at the time 9yrs old) she had the same sort of hair loss. We've had her for a year and all her fur is thick and plush again (she's a Turkish Van= super thick and fluffy white fur).

His eyes look fine from a distance to me, if you have any concerns contact your vet. I would avoid googling too much as you can completely freak yourself out. My kitten Alfie pants after running around and I was convinced he had some heart condition until I took him to my vet. I know what it's like being a new mum, both my kitten and my dog are my babies, I am paranoid about them having this and that... confidence all comes with time. So relax and enjoy your beautiful first kitty! :hugs:

p.s. I've never had my vet offer to clip any of my animals nails, we have to ask...

He looks great to me. A lot of shelter cats show up in rough shape, fleas, worms, thin/missing areas of fur. I'm sure he will get much better now that he is in a home with people that love him and I can definitely tell that you do. Just keep an eye on him and if you have ANY question call the vet. that's why they are there. I agree with switching the bowls to ceramic or metal. The plastic ones can cause chin acne. If it is pretty bad you can use the medicated pads teens use for acne. At least that's what my vet recommended and it did work for me. I'm sure he will be just fine now. He is very lucky to have such wonderful kitty parents.

I completely agree with all the comments. Shelter cats have been through hard times, but with love and attention, they will heal. Any questions you have, please do not hesitate to call your vet. I would even bring Troy back and address your concerns in person. If anything, it will ease your mind! My vet knows that I am a big worry wart, and I never fail to bombard her with tons of questions when I bring my babies in for their yearly check up.

You are a wonderful parent, and Troy is absolutely gorgeous! A big congratulations to you both for finding each other!:heart:

He's a pretty tabby boy! They are really great cats.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on him and pamper him as much as you can. As everyone else says, he is adjusting and probably has some residual wear from being in the shelter.

i have some experience with upper respiratory infection...according to my vet, it's very common for cats to have that symptom and it actually never goes away (?? not sure)...it'll come back when they are weak.
i am not sure about the 3rd eyelid you were talking about...but my sasha had some discharge from her eye..it's kind of brownish....it was kind of nasty. the vet will give you some kind of cream and you just need to apply to the infected eye and it will go away. some cat will recover from URI for a week and some will need longer time...mine took about 6 weeks.
give it some time so the cat can adjust to your environment.....
mine was very lovey dovey at the beginning, came to me whenever i called her...and all that almost like a puppy in a cat...but once she felt she's "IN"...she became a real cat...:P

i have some experience with upper respiratory infection...according to my vet, it's very common for cats to have that symptom and it actually never goes away (?? not sure)...it'll come back when they are weak.
i am not sure about the 3rd eyelid you were talking about...but my sasha had some discharge from her eye..it's kind of brownish....it was kind of nasty. the vet will give you some kind of cream and you just need to apply to the infected eye and it will go away. some cat will recover from URI for a week and some will need longer time...mine took about 6 weeks.
give it some time so the cat can adjust to your environment.....
mine was very lovey dovey at the beginning, came to me whenever i called her...and all that almost like a puppy in a cat...but once she felt she's "IN"...she became a real cat...:P

June knows what's what! Cats are masters of the quintessential bait and switch and I have no doubt that Troy knows all the tricks of the trade. :P

The chin acne took FOREVER for me to resolve in my 3 babies. It took using medicine on their chins (their hair came off but re-grew back fine), I expelled the acne every few days and cleaned their chins over and over.

After removing all the plastic and moving to stainless steel the acne has not been back.