Marc Jacobs, shame on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with liberte and birkiness. i personally dont mine the color combo but i definitely dont expect most people to. his stuff is young, fresh, and hip. even if chanel does have quilting, and hermes has orange and locks, it doesnt mean they invented it and are the only ones who can use it.

:tup::tup::tup:

I am shocked at the negativity of this forum!

Marc Jacobs is a genius. He's won numerous awards, not to mention the CFDA ones and has single handedly turned Louis Vuitton around. He's quirky and doesn't take himself too seriously!

Just because this bag isn't your style (guess what? I don't like your style) doesn't mean someone else couldn't rock it.

Follow the golden rule that your mother taught you: if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL!

We are all entitled to our opinions, some were harsh but the members have the right to express this. Why should we censor our comments because there are people on this board who adore MJ? If your taking this comments as personal insults your reading into this thread to deeply. Unless you are MJ you shouldn't take it personally (and if you were MJ i would suggest defending your design on some more valid points lol)

Why do we have to constantly remind people that this is a forum? Its public discussion which is certain to step on others toes. Anyone can come here regardless is their racist, homophobic, an extremist religion etc. and they are ENTITLED to their views regardless if they are PC or offensive. What changes between the wide world out there and the text written on the screen? *

*Steps off soap box*

* being polite in expressing an opinion, is a whole other story. this was not a comment on that

^ i completely agree with you. everyone here has a right to say what they like and what they don't like. i don't think anyone is taking umbrage with that. however, your last statement says it all. there is a way for a person to state their opinions tactfully, and *in some instances* that wasn't really practiced here. i have to say that most of the comments were fair. if you don't like the bag, that's fine. if you think there is a copyright infringement issue, okay. but to start making ad hominem attacks against the designer and come off arrogant while doing so, it can rub some people the wrong way.

Well, I hope that this doesn't sound unfair, because I'm just trying to give my honest critique here (not attacking MJ, LV or their fans).

I do think that MJ and his creative team are talented (obviously). However, I don't understand their bag designs lately. Imitation is flatery, but I haven't seen anything that strikes me as very original from MJ or LV for a while now. I'm somewhat sad about it. I would really like to see some new and innovative designs and less "inspiration" from designs that are already out there. A lot of their recent designs seem to have already been "done", including this one.

Well, I hope that this doesn't sound unfair, because I'm just trying to give my honest critique here (not attacking MJ, LV or their fans).

I do think that MJ and his creative team are talented (obviously). However, I don't understand their bag designs lately. Imitation is flatery, but I haven't seen anything that strikes me as very original from MJ or LV for a while now. I'm somewhat sad about it. I would really like to see some new and innovative designs and less "inspiration" from designs that are already out there. A lot of their recent designs seem to have already been "done", including this one.

that's a fair assessment. i think his collaboration with richard prince for lv is different and fresh. i wouldn't go so far as to say that i loved a majority of the outcome, but it is part of the designer-artist collaboration that seems to be one of the main themes/trend of the current season. aside from the bag being discussed here, he has other styles for spring that do not borrow or reference other designers and are very 'marc jacobs' particularly the 'bag in a bag' and frog clutches. i'm sure many people don't like them, but it provokes a strong feeling. it makes people think and it creates interesting discourse. you can accuse the designer himself and his work of many things, but he's certainly not dull and i think that's a good thing.

Why do we have to constantly remind people that this is a forum? Its public discussion which is certain to step on others toes. Anyone can come here regardless is their racist, homophobic, an extremist religion etc. and they are ENTITLED to their views regardless if they are PC or offensive. What changes between the wide world out there and the text written on the screen? *

So if I think that the outfit and bag combo that you put together is HIDEOUS, I should tell you? In those threads that people post the what they wear, I should post you're "imitating" a celebrity or that "color is awful"? I have my opinion but decided to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for freedom of expression, thought, speech, etc. But say that someone on this forum purchased that bag and posted it! What would you write in his/her thread? This bag could be that dalmation kelly to some? that lizard ombre?

Let's try to remember that there ARE in fact many members in this forum and we should all be mindful of what is hideous to some may be another person's treasure. But these are bags after all, and while I enjoy a good discussion and honest critique, this is an Hermes forum and this thread has become way out of the realm of anything related to Hermes. So for that reason alone, i am closing this thread to give this one a rest.

And I would like to leave you all with one last thing- please, engage in discussions respectfully and mindful of other people's feelings. While this is a board, it is owned privately, run privately, and we have rules of decorum.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.