Mail Order Brides !!

i know of this one lady who, ever since she was in her teens, really liked blonde-blue eyed men and doesn't seem to like any of the local asian guys so she put herself on a penpal ad.. i bet its that MOB thing.. i really don't know.. anyway, she did end up marrying a german guy and they had 2 kids. a year after the second kid, they both decided to leave the kids for a while in asia and went to germany.. where she discovered what a weirdo he was.. first he insured her for a whole lot of money and she got scared.. and then i think she also found out his "weird" wild side.. so she ran home the moment she could and never returned. its sad though coz the kids were so young at that time. But yup her kids have blue eyes and hazel ones too.

I personally know a woman who was a mail order bride. She and her husband have now been married happily for over 20 years. They have two beautiful daughters, and are one of the happiest couples I've ever met. So yes, there ARE success stories.:yes:

Men who seem to want this only want women who are subserviant. They want women who are timid and only want to please the man at the sacrifice of her wants and needs. It always seems to work out bad for the woman, from what I have read about it or seen on TV.
Its kind of sad if you ask me.

I know it can be possible. Actually, not sure if this falls into the mail order bride category but I recently read an article in the newspaper about a growing trend in Taiwan. Some successful businessmen are turning to Russia for brides. The way it worked is a bit different though - it's not your typical mail-order so to speak. They put in a deposit and then they take a 8-week trip to Russia (that includes all the countries that belong to the former Soviet Union) and go on dates with these women. If both sides genuinely like each other, then they proceed to have the wedding in Russia (signing the papers) and then after the Visa and what not are ready, the bride officially moved to Taiwan and have another wedding (the real formal one). The article included several success stories. There were definitely some difficulties at first because it was a culture shock going from Russia to Taiwan, not to mention there were cultural differences and language barriers, but most of these marriages seemed to work out because the men are quite successful, very well-educated, very open-minded and are open to the idea of different cultures. The fact that the marriage was not conducted through your traditional "mail-ordered" ways but was instead done through actual dates and interviews also helped.

Personally I wouldn't want to do it, too much money and risks involved.

koukanamiya said:
I know it can be possible. Actually, not sure if this falls into the mail order bride category but I recently read an article in the newspaper about a growing trend in Taiwan. Some successful businessmen are turning to Russia for brides. The way it worked is a bit different though - it's not your typical mail-order so to speak. They put in a deposit and then they take a 8-week trip to Russia (that includes all the countries that belong to the former Soviet Union) and go on dates with these women. If both sides genuinely like each other, then they proceed to have the wedding in Russia (signing the papers) and then after the Visa and what not are ready, the bride officially moved to Taiwan and have another wedding (the real formal one). The article included several success stories. There were definitely some difficulties at first because it was a culture shock going from Russia to Taiwan, not to mention there were cultural differences and language barriers, but most of these marriages seemed to work out because the men are quite successful, very well-educated, very open-minded and are open to the idea of different cultures. The fact that the marriage was not conducted through your traditional "mail-ordered" ways but was instead done through actual dates and interviews also helped.

Personally I wouldn't want to do it, too much money and risks involved.

Wow ! Thank you for sharing that information.

ILoveCoach said:
It sucks that these women have to sell themselves to live a life better then they do in their own country.
I would say I agree with this statement. You've got to be in a seriously bad situation to put yourself up like some sort of item in a catalog. I know it works in some cultures, but one of my grandmother's had an arranged marraige and it didn't work for her. I hardly knew my grandfather, he was a useless type and I think he just wanted someone to do housework, etc.