Let's answer these

m8875

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
Here goes ladies, I'm going to answer these questions that may be asked in my interviews. Answer them for me too to see if others have different answers...i'm probably 90% wrong haha...No peeking at my answers until you answer them :tdown:. NO CALCULATORS!

1. If you look at a clock and the time is 3:15, what is the angle between the hour and the minute hands?
2. You have a five-gallon jug and a three-gallon jug. You must obtain exactly four gallons of water. How will you do it?
3. How many gallons of white house paint are sold in the U.S. every year?
4. What is the size of the market for disposable diapers in China?
5. You have 12 balls. All of them are identical except one, which is either heavier or lighter than the rest. The odd ball is either hollow while the rest are solid, or solid while the rest are hollow. You have a scale, and are permitted three weighings. Can you identify the odd ball, and determine whether it is hollow or solid?
6. What is the decimal equivalent of 3/16 and 7/16?
7. What is the sum of the numbers from one to 50?
8. If I were to fill this room with pennies, how many pennies would fit in?
9.You are faced with two doors. One door leads to your job offer (that's the one you want!), and the other leads to the exit. In front of each door is a guard. One guard always tells the truth. The other always lies. You can ask one question to decide which door is the correct one. What will you ask?

1. 360 degrees for 12 hours. So per hour the hour hand moves 30 degrees. 3:15 means it's 1/4 of a way to 4. So 30/4 = 7.5 degrees.
2. I would add water from 3 gallon jug 2 times to the 5 gallon jug. Empty the 5 gallon jut. Add the 1 gallon left on the 3 gallon jug. Then, add another 3 gallon to the 5 gallon to make it 4 gallon.
3. It's estimation. 250 million ppl in the US. Maybe 50% live in houses=125 million people. Average 4 people/family. So about 30 million houses. Maybe 10% have second houses. So about 33 million houses. Maybe they're painted every 10 years. If the average house is 3000 sqft and each gallon covers 150 sqft, that would be 20 gallon per house times 33 million = 660 million gallons every 10 years. So per year on average it would be 66 million gallon. Maybe 75% need white paint. So 66x.75= 66-(6.6+6.6+3.3)=66-(13.2+3.3)=66-(16.5)=49.5million gallons per year.
6. 1/16 = (1/8)/2 = .125/2 = .0625.
3/16 = .0625 (3) = .125+0625= .1875
7/16 = .5-.0625 = .4375
7. 25 pairs from 1-50. Each pair is equal to 51. So, 51x25 = 1250+25 = 1275

P.S. I have to go, I'll be back to try the rest! :smile:

Well??? So finish the answers already. :~) It's driving me bonkers cause I have even heard the last one about the two doors, but I *still can't remember the answer.

If you don't come back and answer, we will seek you out and we will find you, lol.

Freeze! You weren't supposed to be peeking at the answers cause idk whether mine are correct!

It's for an investment banking interview. Apparently, they ask these types of questions. Eek...kind of nervous!

P.S. It's 4 am...my fingers are tired, be back tomorrow :smile:

Why in the world would they ask such stupid questions?

lol!

Good answer for 9 vlad.

For number 2...your way will not give you exactly 4, you would need to guess on the 1 gallon....this is a better way; fill the 5 gallon jug, pour what will fit in the 3 gallon jug...what's left in the 5 gallon will be 2 gallons...pour this in another contanier, repeat...exactly 4 gallons.

Good luck on your job interview.

WOW! I am not even attempting these. I took the LSAT for law school & that was the LAST time I ever wanted to be asked such wacko questions!

Good luck though, you'll do it!