lesbian spouses

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
We met a woman today (casual business situation) who referred to her "husband" and then mentioned her husband as "she."
This was surprising to me. I've heard of children of gay women having two moms so I guess I thought a gay female couple would be two wives.
Not meaning to offend anyone - just wondering - is this common now?

I guess it depends on the couple, and if they've assumed specific "gender roles" per se. Personally, I have only ever met same-gender couples where women call each other "wives" and men "husbands."

Maybe her "husband" is more butch or transitioning and prefers that term? I have a friend who refers to himself as a she, even though he is not transitioning. He dresses as a woman occasionally and when talking to their dogs he refers to himself as "mummy" and his husband as their "daddy."

This is interesting to me. I've only heard same sex couples refer to themselves as wives when they're women or husbands when they were men and its generally considered offensive when people try to herteronormatize or force traditional binary gender roles by assigning someone as the wife and someone as the husband.
I'd guess maybe her spouse is non-binary or gender fluid and uses both feminine and masculine pronouns?

I came across a female couple, they occasionally addressing wife and husband to each other depending on particular days of the week. For instance, one is a wife in normal weekday becoming a husband during the weekend.

I work with a couple of gay guys who will refer to their husbands as their wives. One of them does it to avoid any kind of judgement (which makes me sad), and the other does it as a joke.