Large Pompon advice appreciated from a newbie

Cassis and ex Rose Thulian

Thanks ksuromax for the photos. Wow, the difference is striking side by side but without comparing my untrained eye actually wouldn't have recognised the pre-re-dyed leather to look dry. Can new Bal leather look like that too simply as a variation of the batch or intended finish? And when you re-dye, how do you ensure you are getting the exact right shade again? I am guessing even if you had an original swatch, the leather repairer wouldn't have the exact shade?? I actually got a quote the other day to dye a small ivory bag black or a darker neutral. It was over $700 Australian, or almost 450 Euro! I was horrified! I think I'm just going to have to try to avoid fading in the first place. I heard that the lighter Balenciaga colours are quite susceptible. :sad:

This ones light as anything, not the GH. Im 5'6". I loaned it to a frend who is around 5'2", a fashion blogger and makes youtube videos. She said she found it very light. It weighs so little in my opinion. Colour is Murier.
View attachment 4392730

Thanks Roie55. Good to know, though I would definitely be looking to get GH for a regular Pom. How do you find the regular size on you visually? I'm also 5'6''. I know some have said they feel like it can look overwhelming. Though from what I've seen if you pull the drawstring, it makes it look more compact. I love the look of the anthracite with GH combo but wonder if it would just look too heavy in a bag of that size and form, so am thinking of a sage with silver hardware. But then there's not as much contrast with the hardware, which seems a shame as I love the pop of the gold/rose gold hardware.

Do you find it's a bit hard to find stuff in your bag rummaging around because it's so deep/large?

Thanks ksuromax for the photos. Wow, the difference is striking side by side but without comparing my untrained eye actually wouldn't have recognised the pre-re-dyed leather to look dry. Can new Bal leather look like that too simply as a variation of the batch or intended finish? And when you re-dye, how do you ensure you are getting the exact right shade again? I am guessing even if you had an original swatch, the leather repairer wouldn't have the exact shade?? I actually got a quote the other day to dye a small ivory bag black or a darker neutral. It was over $700 Australian, or almost 450 Euro! I was horrified! I think I'm just going to have to try to avoid fading in the first place. I heard that the lighter Balenciaga colours are quite susceptible. :sad:
all leather hides very, that's the nature of the material, but some can vary more due to some other factors, such as the dye, or, the batch of the leather.
i don't think there's any way to get the original colour back, once you re-dye it, it's done and gone.
It can fade, flake off, etc, but you can always restore the last (re-dye) colour, but never the original one.
I have done mine by myself, hence no idea what the work could cost, and my reason of re-dyeing was to get the right shade of red. When i bought my red bag, i could not see that pinkish undertone of Rose Thulian from the pictures, and soon it started bugging me when i started using the bag. I needed a bright warm red, which works better for my skin tone and goes well with my accessories. So i did it, and didn't regret any minute.
This picture i captured today, and you can see the colour is even, well saturated, and looks very vivid and nice.
i am applying a conditioner to it from time to time, and it does not feel paper-y dry, but the texture is definitely different from my other 2012 ones, but i got used to it, it does not bother me ;)

Thanks Roie55. Good to know, though I would definitely be looking to get GH for a regular Pom. How do you find the regular size on you visually? I'm also 5'6''. I know some have said they feel like it can look overwhelming. Though from what I've seen if you pull the drawstring, it makes it look more compact. I love the look of the anthracite with GH combo but wonder if it would just look too heavy in a bag of that size and form, so am thinking of a sage with silver hardware. But then there's not as much contrast with the hardware, which seems a shame as I love the pop of the gold/rose gold hardware.

Do you find it's a bit hard to find stuff in your bag rummaging around because it's so deep/large?
Size wise i think its looks good on my height, I found the strap annoying as its not adjustable, so the bag does hang lower than i wanted. And yes you could be rummaging around if you have a lot in the bag.

Size wise i think its looks good on my height, I found the strap annoying as its not adjustable, so the bag does hang lower than i wanted. And yes you could be rummaging around if you have a lot in the bag.
What year is yours? I'm trying to see if the regular Pom ever had an adjustable strap, the mini did.

Thanks Roie55, didn't realise it isn't adjustable, though I have seen some low hanging bags. Do you wear yours cross body? Do you think that would help or would it then be too short?

Thanks Roie55, didn't realise it isn't adjustable, though I have seen some low hanging bags. Do you wear yours cross body? Do you think that would help or would it then be too short?
I'm trying to remember, I had mine for such a short period of time, but I'm pretty sure I just doubled the strap.

What year is yours? I'm trying to see if the regular Pom ever had an adjustable strap, the mini did.
i never learned how to date a Bal but i bought from a friend november 2011 when it was brand new, so guessing that year?

56544619_2333171826760905_5500374546504482816_n.jpg
Oh yes always crossbody, should have said that right off, its the perfect comfortable length and my 5'2" friend who borrowed it also wore it that way with no issues.

I read about people doubling the strap for the mini Pom I think ... so maybe you can. I think if the bag was more filled up, I'd probably just put the handles over my shoulder anyway.
how do you double the strap?? im so curious now

i never learned how to date a Bal but i bought from a friend november 2011 when it was brand new, so guessing that year?

View attachment 4394635

Oh yes always crossbody, should have said that right off, its the perfect comfortable length and my 5'2" friend who borrowed it also wore it that way with no issues.

how do you double the strap?? im so curious now
F/W 2010 is the season, the colour is murier. Here's how I doubled the strap on my Velo...
img_5647-jpg.4003578

all leather hides very, that's the nature of the material, but some can vary more due to some other factors, such as the dye, or, the batch of the leather.
i don't think there's any way to get the original colour back, once you re-dye it, it's done and gone.
It can fade, flake off, etc, but you can always restore the last (re-dye) colour, but never the original one.
I have done mine by myself, hence no idea what the work could cost, and my reason of re-dyeing was to get the right shade of red. When i bought my red bag, i could not see that pinkish undertone of Rose Thulian from the pictures, and soon it started bugging me when i started using the bag. I needed a bright warm red, which works better for my skin tone and goes well with my accessories. So i did it, and didn't regret any minute.
This picture i captured today, and you can see the colour is even, well saturated, and looks very vivid and nice.
i am applying a conditioner to it from time to time, and it does not feel paper-y dry, but the texture is definitely different from my other 2012 ones, but i got used to it, it does not bother me ;)

That's odd, I thought I responded to your post ksuromax but I don't see it. Maybe I was just responding in my head! I wanted to say how impressed I was with your home dye (I had assumed it was professional).

Hmm, well today I asked for more photos of the jacinthe Pompon I am just about to buy to double-check any spots of wear and the seller then realised that there was fading/colour change after all when she took out the mirror. She said the bag has pretty much just been in storage (maybe not dark storage I don't know) or at least not that used, so it is somewhat surprising. I don't know what would happen if it was out in the light a lot. What do you think? Is that extreme for a Balenciaga? I can see now that the purple shade has faded into a more grey tone (though it actually looks darker?). I guess that's what people have been saying about some of the blues/purple shades? I still love the shade as is and will buy the bag! Just a little disappointed that it's already noticeably faded from supposedly 6 years in storage and worried it will just turn grey altogether within a few years of normal use. May need to develop my dyeing skills after all!

Attachments

• Fade.jpg
    Fade.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57