L.A. help

There are so many sections of L.A., that it is hard to get a feel for "the city" as a whole. Where I live (in the Eagle Rock section of LA near Pasadena) is lots of mom and pop shops (where the local hardware store will lend you tools for free), great restaurants (I highly recommend Cafe Beaujolais (link to reviews) on Colorado Blvd) and if you run into a celebrity, it's usually the equivalent of "the woman who played Seinfeld's girlfriend for two episodes". There is a cool bar here that looks like a ski lodge where you'll find a mix of cute Occidental College grad students, young neighborhood professionals, and a couple old folks who like to talk about how the neighborhood used to be.

I've lived in three other sections of L.A. and each has their different feel. After starting in West Hollywood, I've now drifted off to sections that don't have as many celebrity-studded bars and restaurants with velvet rope policies. And I like neighborhoods where people walk. Not putting down W. Hollywood - it just wasn't for me.

Oh - and if you're a nature lover, do try to hike some of the hills (there is a great one along an old mountain railway that was established in the "digging for gold" days) and valleys and perhaps visit the Arboretum. There are also some secluded beaches near Malibu that will make you feel like you own your own island.

Also, if you know you're going to be living in Westwood, maybe you could try posting on a board that's all about L.A. I find that Yelp.com's message boards are great for "what to do in [insert section of city here]" questions.

HTH and have fun!

Have fun!

Oh yes...and even more reasons why you cannot live in LA without a Car...

Portos Bakery in Glendale or Burbank - cuban - meat pies, potato balls, eclairs...OK...getting hungry again!

More restaurants:
Republic - on La Cienega north of Melrose Ave - best mac 'n cheese ever
Magnolia's - on sunset blvd - good and trendy, near arclight theatres (best theatres in town)!!!
Don Compadres - on sunset blvd...cheesy "flaming" margarita, but good food!

Don't you just love the Sangria too at Cha Cha Cha's Lvbabydoll. and the chocolate flan...or the bread pudding?!?!

Oh there is also, Johnnie's Pastrami on Sepulveda and Washington toward Culver City - mmmmm so good, Pinks on Melrose - best hot dogs

If you're going to be in Culver City - definitely hit Johnnie's but I never miss Tito's Tacos (which is right next door) whenever I got back home to visit - NEVER!!

I am so homesick right now!!!!
Titos Tacos, I cant believe you said that. Used to stop there on the way home from UCLA to Redondo Beach.....