Is there a bag Hierarchy???

crochetbella said:
They start around $700 for a basic tote. Bags are around $1200 and up to the $2,000s and above. You can check some of them out on the Barneys website. :smile:

They're actually pretty reasonable (then again, after Hermes everything seems "reasonable":lol: ). I checked out Goyard's website too ... They don't have fuchsia?:crybaby:

Reactions: striveforluxury
What a great thread! Glad I started it. LOL I've been so busy that I hadn't gotten back to check it out.

All this information is fantastic. It's interesting how everyone sees it a little differently.

I thought LV was handmade. That's the way they make it look on their webiste.

Of course the bags I've started admiring are the MOST expensive ones. Sheesh! :smile:

koukanamiya said:
They're actually pretty reasonable (then again, after Hermes everything seems "reasonable":lol: ). I checked out Goyard's website too ... They don't have fuchsia?:crybaby:

Kou, maybe they will introduce fuchsia! :yes: Their prices are not bad (comparatively speaking :lol: ) Their SA's are really sweet too! :flowers:

crochetbella said:
Kou, maybe they will introduce fuchsia! :yes: Their prices are not bad (comparatively speaking :lol: ) Their SA's are really sweet too! :flowers:

I better give them a call at Beverly Hills and see if they can special order something in fuchsia for me. I really like the luggage, I can totally see myself using one as a carryon.

koukanamiya said:

They are supposed to be introducing a bright neon pink next year. I am curious to see it.

La Vanguardia said:
Just for clarification, only Hermès ready-to-wear and shoes go on sale .. or small leather accessories that have not been sold for 2-3 years at the inventory. It is very rare that they put bags on sale ... almost never.

The Kelly is a design from 1930s, the Bolide from 1920s, the HAC from 1890s, the Birkin from 1980s and these bags are still being produced so Hermès bags are not seasonal. Once in a while, they design new bags, but they are supposed to be in the collection forever and not just for a particular season.

Hermès handbags are also handmade by a crafstman and each bag has an ID of the craftsman who made it, very different from LV.

And the legend is, the craftsperson kisses the bag to finish it! :love: I just met a Hermes craftsman yesterday, I forgot to ask him if it is true. Then again, maybe I shouldn't, I would be disappointed to find out if it weren't true.:crybaby: I am such a romantic at heart.

Reactions: Dooneysta
Jennifer Marvin said:
And the legend is, the craftsperson kisses the bag to finish it! :love: I just met a Hermes craftsman yesterday, I forgot to ask him if it is true. Then again, maybe I shouldn't, I would be disappointed to find out if it weren't true.:crybaby: I am such a romantic at heart.

You MET a craftsman?!!!!:nuts: Do tell!!! how? I've always wanted to meet the person who made my bag~

koukanamiya said:
I was told that Hermes and Bottega Veneta are the only brands that are completely hand made nowadays. Therefore, those are two that I'm sticking with.

And, there are little brands made in their atiliers (craftspeople from Hermes), like mine, for example, :shame: (timidly, I must promote) which are still made by hand and using the old traditional methods.:tender:

Jennifer Marvin said:
And, there are little brands made in their atiliers (craftspeople from Hermes), like mine, for example, :shame: (timidly, I must promote) which are still made by hand and using the old traditional methods.:tender:

Oh that's fabulous!! I LOOOOVE hand-made goods!!! :yes:

koukanamiya said:
You MET a craftsman?!!!!:nuts: Do tell!!! how? I've always wanted to meet the person who made my bag~

Yes, I meet them everyday:yes: It is my job:love: what a lucky ducky I am. We met to discuss a project I am working on but I think I will be working with him on many many projects.

What I love most about working in Paris (and Italy) with these people is that they are as passionate as I am and it is so "not snob". Everyone; the tanners are so passionate about achieving perfection, then you put me in the mix and I get all giddy with designing, making patterns and prototypes, and then, I get to play with these incredible craftspeople (who are legends) and we laugh and go "ooooohhhhh, what if we do that, or this? and, before we know it, we have passed 8 hours together, skipped lunch (unheard of in France) and it feels like 8 minutes:lol: . This one (Vincent) in particular just melted my heart. He showed me some protypes he made for Celine and a special system he designed for Asprey aligator bags. Just simple people doing what we all love. It is such a wonderful little world. I can't begin to tell you. Thank you for letting me :love: :tender: :love: no words. I live a dream.

Reactions: Dooneysta
koukanamiya said:
Oh that's fabulous!! I LOOOOVE hand-made goods!!! :yes:

Oh yes, they are still there. In todays world, unfortunatly, it is just not possible for the big brands to keep doing everything by hand. Unless you are a very old established house, it's pretty hard to find that many people to do everything by hand (who are properly trained, and the training is something you don't go through unless you really feeled "called" to it). So, happily, us little "guys" can still keep the art alive. I love that you appriciate this kind of craftsmanship. I search everywhere to find them; and I have yet to find one I don't like! :tender:

The day before yesterday, I spent an afternoon with an embroiderer who does Christian LaCroix haute couture. I was almost in tears everything was so beautiful.:love: :crybaby:

that's amazing jennifer... may i ask what exactly do you do? a very interesting job you have... i wish i will have the opportunity to see the craftsman too one day... :smile: thanks for sharing!

Zzuliyta said:
that's amazing jennifer... may i ask what exactly do you do? a very interesting job you have... i wish i will have the opportunity to see the craftsman too one day... :smile: thanks for sharing!

Yes, of course, happily I talk about my job, which is my LIFE:love: I am a
fashion and accessories designer. Generally, I work in high luxury and recently in crocodile for Vivian Mendal in NY. Additionally, I do consulting/ branding /color forecasting/trend forecasting/ and line development in Europe for new luxury brands worldwide who are seeking these hard to find craftspeople and old world savoir faire. This is a really great place to find out what the consumers (you all) want and love so, the purse forum has become a regular part of my work day! :yahoo: what a life!:tender: