Is the Birkin passe?

After reading that article, my world has utterly collapsed. I feel like I'm a nobody with those outdated Birkins. The fear of being unfashionable has driven me to despair. I don't think I can live with those godawful Birkins. I don't think I can accept myself in my own skin, knowing that I touched those non-BV leather goods and even liked them.

I will bring my BV out of the closet and put it on the altar. I will worship it for the next 49 days with hopefully fashionable candles... :upsidedown:

I honestly think the writer of the article has Hermes-envy. ;)Anyone who knows a little about Hermes knows that grandmothers have literally been passing their Kellys to their granddaughters. Hermes is as opposite of the "IT" fashions as anything can be.

I don't know how long the reign of the Birkin will last... that will be an interesting topic!

Whether they're "passe" or not, I still can't wait to behold my very own Birkin. Personally BV does absolutely nothing for me- I saw one being carried today and it elicited absolutely no desire. I'd rather have one of Prada's lovely deerskin bags or even a discreet LV.

I don't care what "everyone" does (as that writer puts it). I do what feels best for me and carry whichever bag I love no matter if it's in or out of fashion. And Hermès can never go out of fashion anyway. Where I live a lot of very classy chic ladies carry Birkins (though sadly I'm not one of them,yet).

It may be passe to those who considered it the latest 'it' bag. To others who consider it a staple of their wardrobe I'm sure it won't be. Everything is relative.
ITA^. Just want to add it doesn't have to be everything hermes either. Why limit yourself to just one brand, though it IS the best one? Different brands satisfy different cravings. As you all see I satisfied mine for red with BV and very happy with it.
Nicely put.:yes: For me, I think if it's going to be considered passe (or already is) I will breathe a sigh of relief.
When all the "It passers by" consider Hermes passe it will all be back to normal for the genuine admirers :yes:. After all, for how long fashion victims can withstand the price tag just for the sake of "IT"?

i have now read the article and it is more about "looking fresh new edgy fashion forward etc" then everything else so the birkin was sacrificed on the altar of the latest fashion slave. and you know what i do not care a single bit instead of looking oh so hip and trendy i prefer to look well dressed and beautiful i take the clasic 4" pump anyday over the oh so edgy must have spikey studded gladiator sandal that makes you hip envogue top tier yaddayadda honky tonk but looks plain ugly

Who bloody cares? If you like the DESIGN and it SUITS you then surely that's all that matters???

I'm so sick of hearing/reading about what's 'in', what's 'better made', 'better quality coz its from Italy' blah blah blah.

Don't people want their clothes accessories to work for them? If a Birkin is my style and I can find one in my colour and I like how it looks then I don't care if some moron is going, 'Oh, you know, BV is so much more exclusive now.'

It isn't always about the bloody label.

i have now read the article and it is more about "looking fresh new edgy fashion forward etc" then everything else so the birkin was sacrificed on the altar of the latest fashion slave. and you know what i do not care a single bit instead of looking oh so hip and trendy i prefer to look well dressed and beautiful i take the clasic 4" pump anyday over the oh so edgy must have spikey studded gladiator sandal that makes you hip envogue top tier yaddayadda honky tonk but looks plain ugly

:roflmfao: Lilach you're a riot! (and ITA)

To be merely fashionable is very easy..... it is knowing oneself and one's true style that is more difficult to obtain ;)

Interestingly, the author of this article - Lisa Armstrong - wrote an article for November's US Harper's Bazaar. In it she talks about classic fashion and lists - Hermes bags both the Birkin & Kelly as classic classics - I am not sure if BV is listed but the BV cabat also gets a mention as a classic.

Personally, I wish these celebs would just move on from the Hermes. Britney carrying a black croc Kelly while flashing too much flesh was perhaps a celeb too far. As for VB, while she's a sweet lass, she carries herself in such a self-conscious mannered way that she makes anything and everything vulgar.

Hopefully, the Birkin as toted by celebs and pushed by their stylists as the It bag du jour or will be passe.

BV us one of those brands I'm never gonna get no matter how fashionable it is. The menswear is just way too dull and sometimes even granpa-looking. I don't care how well made it is. Hermes at least has some cheek to it. Like some mentioned, it's up to each and every one what they want to wear... I'd still rather get Louis Vuitton than Bottega anyday. I totally agree with lilach. ^_^