Is it just me?

no more drama :sad: apparently when i first started posting here i didn't mean to ask such a "personal question" as one member stated i did. most others didn't find it personal at all and answered the question, but it ended up turning into a lot of drama for no reason and 22 pages of posts. i just feel like posts like these start arguments :sad:

That's true but don't forget that almost everything you wear from day-to-day is made by someone that lives in a "3rd world country" and works for almost NOTHING. And it's these same large corporations (which we consistently pump money into) that RUN and MANAGE these sweat shops (yes, sweat shops are real. We ALL know that they are real. We ALL know that the designer jeans and sneakers that we pay over $100 for, are made by someone that gets paid FIVE PERCENT of that - a DAY!!!). Can counterfeiting really be that bad when we knowingly SUPPORT corportations and SUPPORT a government that is blatantly ABUSING, DISRESPECTING, and even KILLING people from other nations??? Right in front of our eyes????

Yes, this thread definitely raised a personal question but you raised a very good question. I know that this site is for the shallow-obssessed (strongly encouraged) but somone needed to put a REAL perspective on this designer-crazed forum (at least just once!). Life is SOOO much more than peaches and cream, and Louis Vuitton logos. And you can't deny that.

If someone can't afford LV, then buy another style purse Nine West, etc... It upsets me that people are allowed to buy items that are copyright infringements. I would never yell at anyone or laugh at them, but I am a little disgusted when I see people carrying fakes sense it is a stolen logo. I think its sad that the police don't crack down more often on these people making the fakes.

Yes, why buy fakes?

I appreciate the designer so I'll buy the real deal and support them. If we like their design, why dont save up for a lil while?

I also think it is nice for you to buy your grandma a purse when your 14, but I think I stay on that buying fakes is wrong.

it only makes me angry when ppl just assume mine is fake without asking. and when ppl with fake bags swear theyre real but for the most part i agree with you drew.
i think ppl just get upset. to see the LV pattern to become so common when 95% are fake.

That's true but don't forget that almost everything you wear from day-to-day is made by someone that lives in a "3rd world country" and works for almost NOTHING. And it's these same large corporations (which we consistently pump money into) that RUN and MANAGE these sweat shops (yes, sweat shops are real. We ALL know that they are real. We ALL know that the designer jeans and sneakers that we pay over $100 for, are made by someone that gets paid FIVE PERCENT of that - a DAY!!!). Can counterfeiting really be that bad when we knowingly SUPPORT corportations and SUPPORT a government that is blatantly ABUSING, DISRESPECTING, and even KILLING people from other nations??? Right in front of our eyes????

Yes, this thread definitely raised a personal question but you raised a very good question. I know that this site is for the shallow-obssessed (strongly encouraged) but somone needed to put a REAL perspective on this designer-crazed forum (at least just once!). Life is SOOO much more than peaches and cream, and Louis Vuitton logos. And you can't deny that.

:shocked:

the only time i feel somewhat strongly about fakes is when someone who is knowingly carrying a fake and has a crappy attitude. those people i stay away from.

OK, I really didnt mean to start the great debate about fakes. AGAIN.

I just read about a members mother yelling at some ladies in a Prada store for having fake LVs. I thought this was ridiculous and I was wondering if I was the only one. That is simply it.

Ladies(and gents), fakes do exist. They ARE probably made under the same conditions that your clothing is. They also are illegal. This is not what I'm arguing about, I do not support fakes, but I dont judge those that use them.

When I browse some of these forums, I feel a little sick reading some of the terribly shallow and mean comments made about replicas and women that own fake bags. Replicas may be "illegal" but remember that the same people that manufacture these bags are just doing what they have to in order to feed their own children and families (let's put it in a different perspective).

Thank you for these comments. I don't feel intensely one way or another - but I have felt sad and discriminated against ocassionally when I mention my inspired bags.

The thing that saddens me most is when people always trying to divide the world into 2 groups of people, the can/cannots, have/havenots. What is this all about? I'm not on a soapbox trying divide people into 2 classes - heck, our own mods Megs and Vlad went to an event recently and discovered a big party featuring knock off bags. But neither of them came back to the forum blasting or knocking the people there (no pun intended). They just reported their activity and that was the end of that. You can find it here at tPF...

I do want to say tho, I'm in a better place now than I was early in life. As a teen, I worked in a sweatshop, sewing waistbands on dresses for legitimate clothing sold in boutiques. It was piecemeal, so it was pennies per dress. I was lucky if I even made $40 a week. The money I was able to save afforded me my textbooks, supplies and clothing for the first year of university. I had no other training and this was what I could do at the time. The working conditions were pretty stark but sometimes it's the only way to survive when one is poor or untrained in anything else. I don't mind telling this side of my story, I've seen really good times and some bad times in my life.

Fake bags kinda set-up a bad image of real ones. Everyone here (in my country) who carries around a fake LV bag is so snobby and I bet if they see someone with a real bag (even if they do not realise it` s real or fake) they act like it`s THEY`RE bag which is real and the other person`s is fake. And in fact - they pay for it, like 40$ and they BELIEVE that it`s real. They know the real deal, but they haven`t veen looked up the real prices. It makes me sick.
I do never tell anyone anything about they`re fake bags. I don` t have neither a fake or real bag. But I`d rather use a simple non-designer bag, than carry around a fake...

And, I mean. If you can`t afford a real designer bag, then don`t buy a fake! buy something else! Why try to be someone you`re not?
It`s of course another deal, if the person doesn`t know anything about desinger bags (although I don`t believe they don`t).

I don't look down at anyone - nor would I confront anyone. But fakes are illegal and just make me sick. Most people don't know this so I don't put anyone down - - I just come here and vent every so often. If I choose to be disgusted by this, then it's my business. No one has to agree with it. I guess I have just read so many horror stories and when I see a fake out there it's like watching someone support such an awful industry. I do agree that the "fakes make me sick" threads are getting old - I am at fault with that too.

I know that this site is for the shallow-obssessed (strongly encouraged) but somone needed to put a REAL perspective on this designer-crazed forum (at least just once!). Life is SOOO much more than peaches and cream, and Louis Vuitton logos. And you can't deny that.

So does that make you shallow obsessed since you are on this forum?

I think the issue obviously is not about whether we support fakes, of course we don't, but more so how we deal with people who carry them. I pretty much just laugh it off. Heck, I even laugh at people who carry the real LVs sometimes cos of the way they acted.