Is anyone else irritated that MK makes very high end AND less high end bags?

suellebaby

O.G.
Aug 14, 2009
I don't know if it's just me...but I recently saw an MK tote that I wanted to buy at Saks in NY when on vacay...and the price tag was, not $200, not $300, not $500 but just about $1000.

I thought to myself....for an MK? I don't think so...and not because I don't think that their higher end line is quality or gorg. or whatever...more so because they really don't resell that well given all the equally nice but much less expensive MK line...and because the less expensive line makes these ones seem 'not as worth it'.

It kind of irks me as I seem to usually like the expensive ones before even looking at the price tag...but then it's like a slap in the face 'cause I'm so used to the $200-500 line.
:thinking:

Anyone else irritated by this or am I just coocoo? Maybe I can get some comments from some who own from the higher-end line. Differences they see etc...

Su

Last edited:
I own both. There is no doubt that there is a difference between the Skorpios and Tonne bags compared to the Hamiltons and Jet Sets - especially the hardware, but the leather on the collection higher end bags is INSANELY gorgeous, there really is a huge difference.

But I really do love them all equally and I'm not at all bothered that he does both lines. :smile:

I agree that the quality doesn't compare on the two lines. Both are gorgeous, but I could never mistake a high-end MK bag from a lower-priced one. Perhaps this is why you are always attracted to the higher-end bags first? Additionally, many designers have lower priced lines now, including Marc by Marc Jacobs. Designers are targeting different consumers with each line, and I don't see an issue with that, personally.

I've always admired the fact that Michael Kors has a wide spectrum of bags and price points. It allows for a wider target market which is a positive for the company as well as the consumer! It's nice that they are accessible to those on a tighter budget, but it's still a luxury item.

Thank you guys for your input!! I guess irritated was too strong a word...more like bothered that my wallet was going to take more of a hit than expected :shame:

Crissy11, I love that you both and love them in their own unique way! It gives me the courage to go for my first 'higher-end' one :smile:))

I totally agree with you!! And I also seem to like the Michael Kors over Michael by Michael Kors, even with clothes and I'm not going to pay 3500 for a cardigan that looks and feels the same as the 150 one. Having high end and contemporary makes the contemporary looks bad. However I got an MK at NMLC a month ago for 400 and its a permanent item. Still on the shelf at Nordi's for 950!! What a good deal!!