Interesting, Undeniably Controversial Article

Apr 12, 2006
Ledger-Enquirer.com | 08/31/2006 | JonBenet is still dead, and I still don't care

I have to admit, this man makes some valid points. I think our media does waste entirely too much time on stories that really should take second fiddle to other events going on. It matters not how much you love someone who may be taken from you, in the grand scheme of things it really isn't something that should be forced down the throats of everyone in America and the rest of the world. I think more attention should be paid to things like the war, Katrina recovery, the war, etc.

I'm going to have to agree with you. There are so many other things in the world that I think a far more newsworthy. I think the JonBenet mystery is interesting but I'd rather not see it on the news every night.

And not only does this kind of thing detract from tragic events that affect the nation, but when you have constant reporting on these senatational cases like this you run into other issues.

1. Details that shuld be kept under wraps by law enforcement leak out which can hinder the investigation.
2. When a suspect is brought to trial, it is next to impossible to get a fair and impartial jury because people have already formed opinions based on what they read.

^Also, the fact that the whole thing was a huge publicity bonanza was how a lot of evidence was destroyed and leads were eliminated, so really, it seems like they're just going back to the way things were done at the beginning of the investigation. It's a sad story, I'm not going to argue that.

No, I'm not really sure what we as consumers can do, just not watch/buy certain shows/products. That's what I do. I subscripe to many great magazines that have great news and information on a wide range of topics, politics, economics, global current affairs, trust me, rarely do I see what I read on US TV.

I wonder if the lack of public outrage/concern is due to the fact many people have very busy/strained lives and simply can't make an effort. I wonder.

i agree with you too. maybe its because i was too young when jonbenet was killed, but the whole news coverage about it really angered me. There are others being killed throughout the country. why focus just on this one. People die each day, everyone needs to understand that. Troops are dying in war, why dont they cover that more?

Cable news thrives on these stories, they always will - just change the channel - oh and BTW I love hearing about this :censor: hideous war.