Interesting article: If everyone has one, do you still want one?

what a great read...thanks for posting.

My opinion is plain and simple, if you like it you get it. As much as I am sometimes swayed by celebrity style or what everyone else likes, I try and stay true to my own style. If I really like a bag that everyone else has I will get it. I also love pieces that don't have labels and aren't always covered with a designer monogram.

TO each her own I feel...if it makes you happy it can't be that bad!!!

I loved the Deluxe book so much I read it in a day. I have been having a conversation for awhile about where bags are made and doing a little more research. I hate that many bags and clothesa re being made outside of the US. Coach and Dooney were small companies that were very well made.....I like the different styles now, it's just sad that it's not in NY anymore.

The bottom line is I buy what I like but I am much more inclined NOT to buy the most popular bag just because it's popular. I love more vintage styles and lesser known brands.

Anne

I'm very interested in what stores and brands others consider worth it. I'm going to try out Max Mara based on the above.

On top of Max Mara I think JCrew and Banana Republic suiting is very good quality for the money. I know BR used to buy the fabric form a mill in Italy that produced for many high end designers. I don't know if they still do. There Ryan fit is close to Theory's pants and fully lined unlike Theory's pants. Same outer fabric.

I also think the 100% silk knits and silk blouses at Ann Taylor are a good buy thought they are usually on the plain side. Stay away from the silk blends...

Hopefully some other tPFers will give some more ideas. I love to explore new shops.

Coming from a land of BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus, I have to say that I'm not as attracted to a luxury car anymore. I like to have a car that is functional and economical. I guess if the handbag craze ever reaches the same point as the cars here, then I might be looking at other brands for my bags.

Interesting article and discussion, thank you ladies!

I often think about the history and time span of this forum. I would assume that a vast majority of members have joined during this year, and many of them have started to collect designer handbags only very lately.

What happens when the handbag hype reaches its peak? Will there be a huge hangover among many purse fans, who have collected and spent ridiculous amounts of money on handbags? 10 years from now, will I look at my handbags and think "what I was thinking"? Will the focus of exclusivity shift to other consumer products, or will we start investing on experiences, services and other immaterial products instead?

What happens when the handbag hype reaches its peak?...
That is one of the best questions I have ever seen on here!

And no, I do not have an answer ;) My speculation is that in the US, as changes in the larger economy touch more lives, that we will see companies maybe producing fewer products, but those products will cost much more than the "average designer bag" does today.

Already we see the beginnings of this trend, as the target market for luxury goods will decrease in number of consumers, but those consumers will have more money than ever.

So in my opinion, we will see more of bags with purchase prices in the six figure range, and a gradual decrease in the four-figure priced product.

That will be due to a combination of changes in disposable income as families meet the challenges of new economic direction, and, though it may seem inconceivable to many people here - market saturation!

There is one segment of the handbag market that is not talked about much, I don't know how represented it is here, but there are women who buy expensive handbags because they believe they are buying a product of such high quality that it will last them throughout their lives - especially their working lives.

They are not handbag collectors, they are not aficionados of a particular company. They will pay $2000 for a bag, but they are viewing it as a wardrobe investment, that will have a good amortization value over the 20-30 years they plan to use it - rotating it with just a handful of other expensive bags, and once they have their basic bag wardrobe - that's it. They are out of the market!

And you can come down the ecoomic ladder and see different versions of that, the woman who will buy three expensive bags, two, one. But their motivation, their reasons for purchase, are VERY different than those of someone who loves bags, whether that someone is buying designer bags or vintage bags or Target Clearance bags.

Most of us here will always at least want to buy more bags, no matter how many we have, no matter how much money we have, whether we like designer bags or prefer different bags - it is just a different way of looking at the product. Most of us are in one way or another, essentially collectors. But we have plenty of "utilitarian" sisters who may be buying designer bags today, but not tomorrow, because they already have what they consider a "good" brown bag, a "good" black one, etc. And no, they would never consider not having a fuschia one to be the serious wardrobe gap that for instance, I do.