Indian new year party!

So I just found out my cousin is getting married in April...you ladies know what that means!! I'm going to India in December..getting fitted for a new 24k gold belt to wear with some new saris! My old gold belt was from when I was like..10 years old..haha doesn't fit anymore! Ahhhhh 4 weeks in India is NOT enough time to get ready for a wedding..I need to get at least 3 new saris and matching jewelry..and I'm not even the bride!!!

And those gorgeous dresses from Devdas..all are like over $10,000 saris..Aish wore one that was like $20,000.

Here's some pics of Liz Hurley at her wedding to Arun Nayur. Her dress was custom made for her by Donatella Versace. I personally think it was dumb of her to wear pink at her own wedding..she should have worn WHITE! Now she looks like every other wedding guest there..not like the bride/center of attention because guests always wear nice, vibrant bright colors. She does look nice though :smile:

6xsljc6.jpg

8ggeqz7.jpg

And here is pictures of Vanisha Mittal's wedding. She is the daughter of Lakshmi Mittal, 3rd richest man in the World, and richest Indian man She had an absolutely extravagant wedding in Paris..had parties at the Jardin de Tuileries, Georges Cinq (2nd best hotel in the world) and at Versailles, I believe. She got married a few years back...it was a $78 million dollar wedding. Shah Rukh Khan and Kylie Minogue performed.

vanisha-mittal-wedding.jpg

vanishaamit13.jpg

vanishaamit12.jpg

indianwedding_wideweb__430x284.jpg

And here's a few of Aish and Abishek's wedding from last year

aa5.jpg

aishwarya_rai_wedding_5.jpg

nice shot of her rings....

OKAY I hope you enjoyed that!!!!

aishwarya_rai_wedding_1.jpg

akkward candid pose..sorry! I just did a quick Google search. Seems like she is wearing a more traditional sari.

30436_f520.jpg

30428_f520.jpg

Even Abhi is wearing a tonn of gold!

30431_f520.jpg

Sorry! I all I can seem to find are those awufl paparazzi pics..but just look at her neck! She must be so weighed down with all that jewelry lol..

^ Ahhh, Aish is sooo gorgeous... if only I had 1/1000th of her looks hehe. :nuts: Hmmm, maybe she wore something more subdued for the wedding because she's South Indian?

Ohhh, I've never been to a wedding in India... I bet it'll be soo fun!! :nuts: I've been to several here, and getting ready (as a guest!) has always been a production and a half haha, so I can only imagine how crazy it'll be finding the perfect outfits and getting ready admist all the insanity in India! :P

Ohhh, yeah, there are some crazy expensive saris haha (I don't remember who designed the ones Aish and Madhuri wore in Devdas but I LOVED THEM)... hmm, but we definitely have the Indian equivalent of Vera Wang, Monique Lhuillier, etc. etc.! :P My mom's friend went shopping in desi-land a while back, and I can't remember the designer's name, but some of the gorgeous wedding saris she saw were 10K! :nuts:

Ohhhh, I read about Liz Hurley's designer Versace sari... all I know is, she must have overpaid ridiculously haha (hmm, come to think of it, I'm sure it was free, because the press she generated was payment enough!). :P

Haha, omg, I love that little animated picture you have... it's too cute!! :nuts: Yeah, true, if you have it at a place like that, you don't have to plan too much, which is always a plus! Haha, well I can't stand going to desi-land too often because it's overload haha... we get clothes sent from India a lot, and there is so much unworn crap in the closets! :P Ohhhhh, a fellow Guju haha, yay! :smile: Actaully, they're cool with him... initially it was really, really rough for many reasons (religion, eating habits, etc. etc.), but now they're wondering when we'll get engaged haha! :nuts:

Hmm, no idea when we'll get engaged actually (I hope soon!!), but we talked about getting married in two years, so I'm thinking you need to get engaged sometime before that haha! :love:

We haven't checked out rings yet, but I think he's probably scared to, because I have expensive taste haha. :P I really don't care if I have a fabulous ring now though (early in our lives), because you can always upgrade later on hehe! ;) My mom thinks I should take hers, because she wants a bigger one haha (though it's in 18K gold)! Is your engagement ring in silver/platinum? I have no idea if I should go that route, although most of the jewelry I wear is silver! :P

THANKS!! actually i think thats the reason i LOVE having it at places like the Ritz...all we had to do is walk in look at the venue, the chef already had a menu planned out...and thats about it! I know my centerpieces so they should be easy to do...and that's about it! lol! man i wish arizona had a few more nice places for desi clothes! kind of sucks!

Im guju tooooooooooo!!! How are ur parents taking it? any time soooooon? have you picked/seen rings yet?? omg im so excited for you lol!! man i miss ring shopping and all that fun stuff!!

Haha, omg, I love that little animated picture you have... it's too cute!! :nuts: Yeah, true, if you have it at a place like that, you don't have to plan too much, which is always a plus! Haha, well I can't stand going to desi-land too often because it's overload haha... we get clothes sent from India a lot, and there is so much unworn crap in the closets! :P Ohhhhh, a fellow Guju haha, yay! :smile: Actaully, they're cool with him... initially it was really, really rough for many reasons (religion, eating habits, etc. etc.), but now they're wondering when we'll get engaged haha! :nuts:

Hmm, no idea when we'll get engaged actually (I hope soon!!), but we talked about getting married in two years, so I'm thinking you need to get engaged sometime before that haha! :love:

We haven't checked out rings yet, but I think he's probably scared to, because I have expensive taste haha. :P I really don't care if I have a fabulous ring now though (early in our lives), because you can always upgrade later on hehe! ;) My mom thinks I should take hers, because she wants a bigger one haha (though it's in 18K gold)! Is your engagement ring in silver/platinum? I have no idea if I should go that route, although most of the jewelry I wear is silver! :P

haha omg im so excited for you! congats in advance!! i rememeber when my mom first found out i was dating guy she would be like you can only bring a kadwa patel blah blah blah then when i hit 23 shes like omg just bring home a man LOL! it just kind of worked out that he was guju too! :smile:

aish is SO hot...man!! my mom SO overspent on sari's in india!! even though we just go to rajkot, she got a little excited and i always buy from the same guy in india so he got a little excited and ordered a bunch of outfits from everywhere! hehe it's actually a chanya chori! :smile: i thought it would be cuter :smile:

My finance kinda set a budget for the ring so it ended up being i could yet a 2 carat white, 1.5 yellow or a 1 carat tiffany's one....i chose tiffany's because im such a name brand whore lol! i was the same way, i figure i can always get another ring later, but i always wnat that little blue box memory!! :smile: the ring is the ribbon ring and is in platinum :smile: LOVE it!!

do you have ANY idea of what you want? my mom was trying to get me to get the rings from india because some kaka no bapa no chokro is a dealer lol! but i was like no it's ok ill pass! :smile: man im so excited for u! hehe i LOVED LOVED LOVED ring shopping! it seriously was the MOST fun thing ever!! kind of jealous lol!

My best friend was at Vanisha Mittal's wedding. She says Vanisha looked gorgeous in person.

$10,000 is actually common for a designer sari/lehnga. Haute couture lehngas are easily $25,000 & up.

Aww haha, thanks girl! :heart: Haha, yeah, if I tried to bring home a guy that satisfied my grandparents, the entire Guju community or whatever haha, etc. etc. I'd be dating some Guju from the soni caste who is also Swaminarayan and vegetarian. :roflmfao: Haha, my mom was married at 23, so when I was that age (I'm 25 now), she was always like soooooo... blah blah! :P

Ahhh, yeah seriously, Aish is stunningly gorgeous! My b/f kinda resembles Abhisheik haha (he thought I was on crack when I told him that, but I think so!!), minus the oodles of facial hair... but I look nothing like Aish haha! :P
Ohhhh, I LOVE chanya choili's... so pretty and feminine... I bet it'll be gorgeous!! :love: That sari guy must've been sooo happy to see your mom haha... I think most of the clothes we get are from some place in Mumbai, but my mom is the type that if she sees something in any store, she'll get it... screw brand/store loyalty hehe.

Ahhh, okay... I bet your ring is gorgeous!! I actually don't wear much gold (mostly silver... well my happy sport watch is my daily "jewelry" hehe), so I'm not sure if I should even get a ring in yellow gold, ahh... it'll probably be platinum too, who knows. :P Ohhh haha, most of our family in India is in the jewelry/diamond business, but like you, I gotta see what I'm getting, so I don't know about that... I'm not letting anyone design my ring or have more input into it than I would! :nuts:

Hmm... well I do love my mom's ring... it's a round cut, set in 18K yellow gold... yellow gold looks really nice on our skintone hehe, but I love the way platinum looks too, ahh! Also what my future fiance can afford v. what my parents can give to me is also different (especially where he is now in his career), so I don't think I'm going to have a fabulous, blinged out engagement ring haha, but that's aight (that kickass ring can always come later)! :P

haha omg im so excited for you! congats in advance!! i rememeber when my mom first found out i was dating guy she would be like you can only bring a kadwa patel blah blah blah then when i hit 23 shes like omg just bring home a man LOL! it just kind of worked out that he was guju too! :smile:

aish is SO hot...man!! my mom SO overspent on sari's in india!! even though we just go to rajkot, she got a little excited and i always buy from the same guy in india so he got a little excited and ordered a bunch of outfits from everywhere! hehe it's actually a chanya chori! :smile: i thought it would be cuter :smile:

My finance kinda set a budget for the ring so it ended up being i could yet a 2 carat white, 1.5 yellow or a 1 carat tiffany's one....i chose tiffany's because im such a name brand whore lol! i was the same way, i figure i can always get another ring later, but i always wnat that little blue box memory!! :smile: the ring is the ribbon ring and is in platinum :smile: LOVE it!!

do you have ANY idea of what you want? my mom was trying to get me to get the rings from india because some kaka no bapa no chokro is a dealer lol! but i was like no it's ok ill pass! :smile: man im so excited for u! hehe i LOVED LOVED LOVED ring shopping! it seriously was the MOST fun thing ever!! kind of jealous lol!

2manybags - Ohhh, that's cool... from the pics I've seen online, etc., it definitely looked like a very over the top, stylish, HUGE wedding. :heart:

Haha, well a 10K designer sari/choli being common is quite relative I'd say. I don't personally know anyone who has ever spent that much, regardless of whether or not they could. :smile: Sure, you can spend 25K (or much more, if you're Karishma Kapoor the actress who had a pink choli dripping in diamonds and precious stones), but personally, I'd rather spend less for something drop dead gorgeous... and I'm sure spending the remainder of that money won't be too difficult haha. ;)

Fieryfashionist, you're right, the 10K clothing being common is relative...but I've seen both ends of the spectrum. I have college friends who spent very little on their wedding trouseau (still pretty, but not high-end designer wear), and then there are crazy people like my Mom and her friends that are label wh*res when it comes to Indian clothing. lol :smile: My Mom has bought couture saris, suits, & lehngas from Ritu Kumar, Rohit Bal, and Tarun Tahiliani that are in the five figure range. She even has a lehnga that she co-designed with JJ Valaya...well she told him what she wanted, didn't like what he came up with, had him re-do it with all her ideas and now has an amazing one-of-a-kind JJ Valaya. She loves to collect them for the girls in the family...or so she says...I think she just likes to have them hanging in her closet. lol Thank God she has good taste and the pieces she has are stunning...I can't wait to wear some of them when my time comes. :smile:

2manybags - Ohhh, that's cool... from the pics I've seen online, etc., it definitely looked like a very over the top, stylish, HUGE wedding. :heart:

Haha, well a 10K designer sari/choli being common is quite relative I'd say. I don't personally know anyone who has ever spent that much, regardless of whether or not they could. :smile: Sure, you can spend 25K (or much more, if you're Karishma Kapoor the actress who had a pink choli dripping in diamonds and precious stones), but personally, I'd rather spend less for something drop dead gorgeous... and I'm sure spending the remainder of that money won't be too difficult haha. ;)