Increase in ebay scams or no?

Re: Bidpay.

Bidpay is the same thing as Western Union. Unfortunately, Western Union is operated by hundreds of local vendors - and they are not secure. Within the past month, we paid for 1 Bidpay auction (despite my own advice - my daughter made the purchase, didn't notice). Within 72 hours, someone had used our credit card number two more times - for a total of $700 of fraudulent cash transfers.

My bank has refunded the money and it has been turned over to law enforcement.

On one prior occasion, after the money was sent, we received a box with an old used item inside it - when we had paid $800 for a brand new item. Bidpay does not refund your money like Paypal does! When a similar thing happened with paypal, we received our money back. With Bidpay, we were simply out the money.

Three years ago, I had another fraudulent use of my credit card involving Western Union (not Bidpay per se - but I won't deal knowingly with Western Union at all).

My bank fraud management office (fortunately) caught the more recent Western Union fraud - after they charged the first set of fraudulent transfers, they tried again for another $1,000 worth of wire transfers, but my bank (Wells Fargo) automatically flags Western Union transactions and calls the customer if there is more than 1 in a certain time period - and they warned me not to do business with Western Union because of this problem.

That's why I don't do Bidpay, even though it's allowed by Ebay.

I did not recommend using paypal unless you use a credit card as well. However, with the paypal account I use, I'm guaranteed for up to $2000 - and yes, you do get your money back if there's fraud and the bag is not authentic.

Selling a counterfeit handback is a violation of state and federal laws where I live, and it is also a crime reportable to the Post Office - if it was shipped via the post office (which is yet a third crime). Paypal is more than happy to refund your money when it knows it is dealing with a potential criminal seller. Sellers who guarantee the authenticity of their bags or use any words like "Authentic" or "Guaranteed Balenciaga" in their listings must then ship a genuine bag - or else face really stiff legal penalties.

Not that there's any federal oversight these days - but the threat of it is enough to get Paypal (which is owned by Ebay) to comply. Ebay lost several lawsuits in the past couple of years over this issue and is anxious not to lose any more.

Wow! That's not good....

Well, Bidpay is no longer run by Western Union. So maybe that will help. They make buyers and sellers go through the same verification process as PP. They definitely decline orders that do not meet guidelines or that might be unsafe. Though I have still never had a problem with Bidpay and they are super nice to speak with in customer service, unike PP. Just goes to show that no system is perfect and we all prefer different payment services.

I am using Bidpay as an alternative to Paypal, but 99.9% of transaction are still using Paypal. Yes, very easy to do refund with Paypal. Also, Paypal does not have access directly into your bank account, but Bidpay does. I however still prefer Paypal, regardless all the horible stories I heard.

I am using Bidpay as an alternative to Paypal, but 99.9% of transaction are still using Paypal. Yes, very easy to do refund with Paypal. Also, Paypal does not have access directly into your bank account, but Bidpay does. I however still prefer Paypal, regardless all the horible stories I heard.

PP doesn't have access to your bank account? Sure they do. I know they freeze PP funds, whereas once Bidpay pays you they can't take the money back unless there is a legit claim. Even then Bidpay eats the charge back, not the seller. Bidpay will come after you to try and recover, but not through your bank account. That is why they can take up to 3 days to approve transactions over $250.00. To do security checks and verfify that the transaction its self is not fraudulent. That is why Bidpay has become even stricter when approving transactions. I think that Bidpay has changed so much more than people realize. But I agree, PP dominates, I think, because Ebay does such a great job of promoting them and plastering them al over the Ebay site. Like I said, we all prefer differents methods, though having the facts is good for those that would like PP alternatives.

I'm glad to hear bidpay is no longer Western Union. It looks like a place to use your own credit card - which can be a good thing if it's not also a debit card.

It's a good idea to have one card that can be used for such purposes, where you have a low limit (close to what you usually spend) and you check frequently to see if there are unauthorized charges.