I'm sorry Goyard, I'm not impressed :-(

I too just checked my St. Louis Gm and noticed some small cracking but nothing severe (although it is only a year old)...I will have to keep an eye out to see if it gets worse. It is a shame that the purses are definitely pricey only to have some issues with the sealant/quality.

All of the responses in this thread are so painful to read.......... I sincerely hope that yours will last. I buy Goyard to last forever not four months..... :sad:

r15324 So sorry to hear about your experience with Goyard, I have had a similar experience with my Croisiere I scuffed the piping and sent photos to GSF but they said that it was normal wear and tear. I put the bag away for a year and a half then bought the shoulder strap and decided what the hell it couldn't get any worse than it already was. I've purchased many more Goyard bags since then including a St Louis GM which I've beat to death cracked handles and all; but now I know which ones to avoid, which ones can take a beating and which ones to use with kid gloves. At the end of the day, these are just bags and I would choose the exclusivity of Goyard in a sea of LV. I know the heartbreak of the first ouchie still stings but you'll learn to love your St Louis more over time, you've been such a great cheerleader of the brand I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be sad to see you go.:sad:

I'll still love my bag forever, it will always bring back the memories of my first day in Paris (just as my little spin at Hermès :graucho:).

WOW, that's bad customer service. Thanks for posting it. I was thinking about buying a Goyard belvedere to be my new tourism-bag (rain-proof, doesn't get dirty easily and is pretty light to carry around during the long walks of my trips).

At first I refrained from buying them because I was fearing they could be the next "Louis Vuitton Canvas", i.e, that soon the streets would be flooded with fakes and they would be tacky bags. They are still cool and are indeed pretty, but will they remain in this same status in a year? LV used to be a classic too before the big fake-canvas' tsunami.(I would love to hear your opinion about this).

Then I went to the St. Honoré boutique and they were so rude and indiferent. And I was reasonably well dressed for walking around in Paris ( Repetto flats, jeans, a burberry coat and a Chloe bag), because you cannot expect to be extremelly well treated in Paris when you wear sneakers.

Now your post just made me sure of my decision. Thanks! And I am really sorry about your bag.

I pretty much always shop looking really drab. T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops. I wasn't particularly well-dressed at Goyard/Hermès either while in Paris, but I've always commanded good customer service while in any store. I just hate how they can hide away from me, and take advantage of me behind a computer screen!

I live in Continental Europe and have experienced cracks on my yellow PM St. Louis after only a couple of weeks of very moderate use (I definitely am no pack rat and hardly ever have more than a wallet, agenda and small cosmetic case with me. Okay, plus mobile but thats it).
I find this extremely disturbing and not okay for a $$ bag... The cs for sure is ne help...

It's a good thing I started out with Goyard with something small. But still, their cs response is repulsive.

Yes, my Saint Louis (black-caramel) started showing small cracks at the exact same spot shown in pictures here after a couple months I bought it. They haven't grown to be huge for the moment. I don't mind them really, I consider them as sort of a personnalisation, like signs of our spending time together hehehe :biggrin:

I guess this is a fact one should know/consider in advance when thinking about buying a Saint Louis bag, as it seems to be inevitably happening, sooner or later.

They really should come with a warning label. If it is expected to happen in only a couple months, it really should be a responsibility of theirs to notify their clients of the way the bag will age.

You guys just scared the pee out of me! I ran to check my St. Louis and *whew* I have no signs of cracking of either the resin or tearing/cracking of the leather. I use mine often, though not every day. and when I travel, it's loaded down with a fully-loaded 35 cm birkin, in addition to other travel stuff. AND I drape the handles over the handles of my wheeled carry-on, which stresses the handle with the full weight of the contents.

But I will certainly be keeping my eye on it now.

Sorry that happened to you and about the crappy CS. :sad:

Hope yours will last!

o.m.g

i just purchased an orange st.louis pm and now i'm very worried about cracking and handle replacing...

so okay, to be honest i already know of the sealant cracking but i thought (or was hoping) it was on the older bags and that goyard already solved this -- i guess not :sad:

my consolation is that i will be in paris this december, so if ever my handles do break i can have it fixed at the paris store....

but still, for the amount we pay for these bags, they should be able to stand usage! they're advertised as travel bags! not porcelain, should be handled with extreme care, bags!

Well said foxymom!

This is disappointing. I have always had getting a Goyard bag in the back of my mind but now I am not so sure. And seeing that your bag is not the exception but actually the norm very sad.

If you can live with it, don't let my experience deter you, as your experience may be entirely different, but just stay informed :smile:

no one should be treated badly, no matter what they choose to wear. Hello, Oprah x Hermes fiasco?

As for the bag, I am sorry to say that there are many fakes floating around, its just a matter of time before it become mainstream. Nothing logo-ago go is safe.

Yes, Goyard will probably continue to surge in popularity, but that is the last of what I am worried about.

Oprah and H fiasco weren't related to the craftmanship of the bag, but rather because they wouldn't let her in the store after closing hours and didn't make prior arrangements.

Didn't she feel she was entitled to be asked in because she was Oprah, then turned it into a racial issue?

That is what a drew from the whole incident. House-giving, charity-starting iconic woman aside, just the fact that she behaves like an entitled child has kept me off admiring her.

wow, I'm sorry for the lack of customer service, OP.
Your tale and those of others who have shared their issues with Goyard has sealed their fate with me, unfortunately. I came into Goyard because I was considering buying and to know the customer service is lacking and some of their products can begin to breakdown so quickly with (less than) normal/average use is troubling.

OP, hope you can find a cobbler or other merchant to help heal your baby before any damage worsens.

Good luck.

Thanks Aluxe :smile:

My sentiments wholeheartedly^
Just because you pay a house mortgage for a bag, doesn't mean it won't have issues. It's unfortunate but I see way too many problems with luxury brands and customer service not being there when you need them most. OP, you can't leave, we love you!!!! If it'll make you feel any better I just spilled grape juice all over mine and it stained the inside and mine is just a few weeks old. I am bummed but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my bag!

I won't leave don't you worry, but I also don't think that I am by any means a cheerleader in the Goyard forum. I'm just another member who enjoys his Goyard :smile:

From time to time, we do experience some problems with luxury brands. I'm glad though that Goyard offered to replace the handles, something other brands won't do. A few years ago, I encountered peeling handles with a Gucci I've only been using for a month and Gucci just told me that they could not replace the handle since the material they used for the handle turned out to be defective and they decided to just discontinue using the material. That was the last Gucci I ever purchased. I'd rather stay loyal to a brand that will offer to make repairs than buy from one who just won't care if you got a defective bag.

I agree with PinkSuadeSoho, you can't leave us OP, we love you!!!

I'm so sorry about your Gucci. I was previously affiliated with the brand so I will not elaborate on their customer services. Thanks for the love queenmother :smile:

r15324, So sorry to learn of this!!!! I hope it all works out for you! There is nothing worse then getting ripped off! Aaah!

Thanks bga; I'm still feeling the pain. I took it out for a spin to the post-office since, but I always feel compelled to peek at the little crack... I pay good money for these bags, I do expect them to patina luxuriously, not break apart...

How disappointing, OP! I need a work tote and I have been trying to decide between a St. Louis and an LV Neverfull. I had pretty much decided on the St. Louis, but now I'm not so sure. :thinking:

this is going to be my next bag purchase but after reading this, i am no longer sure at this point! good thing i still have have a long time before it's time to buy, but still... :sad: :sad: this truly is disappointing to hear....

unfortunately, i don't like LV so i can't get a neverfull..... gotta start researching to find out a similar tote that has great quality and great customer service :sad:

sorry about your experience OP! :sad:

the straps of my Okinawa PM have no cracks at all even after 5 years (occasional wear) and they look a bit stretched already. Might have been better quality back then, or the color (black) or that the straps of the Okinawa are thicker

I purchased a Goyard St Louis from Barney's in Boston MA. The handles started peeling from day one, then the stitching started to come loose. I sent it back for repair and was told I shouldn't be so rough with my bag. I baby all my bags so I was pretty pissed off. I sold the bag on Ebay and got an LV Neverfull.

Ouch! If that so, I wouldnt want to buy one too..but it seems like it is getting more and more famous now though...Mao..do you have a Goyard in Sdyney? Maybe you could try to approach them. Sometimes, different boutique have different SA who willing to helps you. Good luck!

A SA at Barney's BH once told me that Goyard is in a world unto themselves- they don't care if anyone buys their products and they are not much into customer service. Your experience pretty much confirms what I was told. It is also why I have only admired Goyard and not purchased any of it.

I wish you good luck with your bag and hope you have a positive outcome.

My opinion is, when spending obscene amounts of money on a bag, the customer service is as important as the quality. If they did not satisfy the consumer, they are not worth buying from!

I just purchased my first Saint Louis GM less than a week ago (7/23/2011) and I saw this thread and have been inspecting my handles and I've noticed hairline cracks in mine as well.

This is upsetting for many reasons, but I suppose I just have to carry less items in it.

Attachments

• goy.jpeg
    goy.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,289
I went through the exact same situation as you-I started a thread a few months ago here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/goyard/cracking-handles-only-st-louis-other-bags-too-695467.html

I bought mine in June 2010 and I noticed the problem earlier this year. The SA I dealt with at GSF had the exact same response-normal wear and tear/nothing to be done. I only use it occasionally on weekends. I now use it gingerly and am very conscious to keep it light to prevent any further cracking.

Unfortunately, my friend's Neverfull (which she bought at the same time) has had no problems and she lugs that thing everywhere. A bit of a head scratcher as I spent around $500 more than her to have my straps crack first! Why Goyard whyyyy!?

My red PM also has cracks, not too bad and I have been using it for a year and a half (I discovered the cracks after using it for about a year), usually during the weekends but not every weekend. And I never over load my bag and I am always careful with it.

I was sad at first when I discovered the cracks, but I have decided to keep using it till it gets really bad then have the straps replaced altogether. They are not too noticeable in my case, and as long as it's not the leather itself that's cracking -- only the sealant -- then I can live with it. But yes, I think for a bag at this price point, they really should be more durable...