If You See Something Would You Say Something ?

amanda said:
this reminds me of the Kitty Genovese murder case. i'm sure anyone here that has taken a sociology class has heard of it, but what happened was this woman was attacked on a highly populated street at night in Queens. she screamed for help for hours, and her attacker came back two separate times to assault her more, and hundreds of residents of the nearby apartments heard her screaming, but no one called the police. she eventually died. the reason sociologists study it is because of the diffusion of responsibility - if a hundred people hear the same attack, the social responsibility for any one of those people to act is diminished as a result of the presence of others.
This does not surprise me given the fact that they sell "no snitch" t-shirts right here in Philly.
Shootings happen here and no one sees anything, they are all afraid of retaliation.
That is why shoplifting doesn't seem to bother me. I had a patient who was recently was shot and he said, he got caught in the cross-fire. He told me he doesn't want to know who shot him, because the more he knows the more danger he is in.
I recently switched jobs, while I loved my patients I felt I was putting myself in danger just by driving to and from the hospital everyday.

Ah, this reminds me of my psychology class where a story was brought up from years ago. A little girl was cooling off by a fountain, splashing some water on herself when about 4 young men started raping here there. People were there and a crowd kinda formed but no one did anything. I don't remember what happened after that but I remember there's a term for it in psychology. Something about being in a crowd and following what the crowd was doing.

Getting back to the shoplifting issue...this thread got my thinking, and frankly, I would have a situational response, which is a more sophisticated way of saying 'it depends upon whether the thief could kick my ass or not' AND whether or not I felt it was really, really worth getting someone arrested for.

A kid stealing a cookie - no tell. A teenage girl stuffing jewelry in her bra - tell.