If I were to buy a designer bag...

jewlzz

Mar 14, 2006
If I were to buy a designer bag, would it be cheaper to get in Las Vegas or Hawaii? I think I'm going to both places for the summer, and I want to make my first good purchase. Do you ladies know?

I am not sure of the prices in Hawaii but I know Vegas had similar prices as Boston but there is a 7% tax in Vegas. I ended up buying a bag in Vegas and got it shipped to me and you don't have to pay taxes. You just need to figure out if its worth paying the taxes vs shipping. GOOD LUCK!

I am pretty sure that LV prices are a little bit cheaper in Hawaii then mainland. You'll also save a few percent on taxes (~3%?) in Hawaii when compared to Las Vegas.

Really? I always assumed it would be cheaper at both places because I thought Vegas had no sales tax, and Hawaii is not a part of the main land, so it would be cheaper? I guess I was wrong?

Ladies, I'm confused. I thought retailers sell designer handbags at listed price, aren't they all the same if we don't factor tax, promotional discount (opening account, ...).

Jewlzz, good luck on your first good purchase. What do you have in mind? =)

I've shopped in Hawaii before, and everything was a little more expensive, incl. designer goods (I think because of the import issue). PLUS prices varied from boutique to boutique at times (I was looking at Coach bags specifically). But I don't know about the sales tax issue, I'm not sure how much I paid...

bag.lover said:
Ladies, I'm confused. I thought retailers sell designer handbags at listed price, aren't they all the same if we don't factor tax, promotional discount (opening account, ...).

Jewlzz, good luck on your first good purchase. What do you have in mind? =)

Thanks! I'm not sure what I really want yet, but I'm thinking about something from Gucci or LV.

So, are you guys saying that it would be cheaper to buy just buy things online because there's no tax? And sometimes there's free shipping?

I realize this takes the fun out of it...but if the prices and taxes were really high, maybe you could just look at -- and try on! -- the bags in the botiques in vegas and hawaii, then order one on-line from eluxury or wherever when you get home.