I now think that my quilted bowler is a VERY good fake...

Her e-mail reponse doesn't sit well with me at all, your letter clearly stated which zipper was in question and provided pictures of her bowler and those from your own collection. Stay calm and wait for her reply after you resend the pictures of hers.

I checked my e-mail this morning, and this is what she wrote back:

"That handbag was purchased at a Marc Jacobs store. Im very concerned about what you are saying of the interior zipper.If you please can send me a picture of the zippers with the issue. I dont have a problem issuing a refund as long as I get the same handbag I sent you in new condition and unworn.Sorry for the inconvenience. This is the first time I have an issue with a MJ handbag."

The kicker is, I DID send her pictures...a ton of pictures. So, I will have to send them to her again to spell it out. What gets me is the whole "the same handbag" line that she used. I can understand the "bait and switch" thing, but I'm just so annoyed by the suggestion right now, seeing how I thought my e-mail was incredibly diplomatic.

I really just want to get rid of it and get my money back.

I meant to say that I wouldn't buy it even if the seller were to claim that the zipper was replaced. Brand new with tags? Not able to provide additional pictures b/c her camera's not working. I agree on 'authentic' not being mentioned and private listings. Purchased at MJ store now? Too many maybe's.

I really hope SuLi can get refunded promptly.

I don't think the seller actually said that, I was just trying to be hopeful....

I found the original thread with the ebay link, and the listing seems fishy to me. Nowhere in it does the seller claim that the item is authentic...and it's a private listing...for some reason that always concerns me with new eBay users... This seller seemed to have quite a few of the private listings... Sorry Suli, I hope you get your money back, but I'm guessing it will be an all out battle with paypal if the seller doesn't cooperate.

suli, one thing i just want to try to help on: she said in her email something about "as long as she gets the exact bag back that she sold you." just be on the lookout for her claiming that you're returning a fake & the bag she sent was real. i don't want to add alarm, i just want you to have your guard up in case she tries that route.

good luck - i'm soooo sorry you're dealing with this :sad:

I sent her two e-mails this morning...

The first:

"I sent this e-mail to you yesterday with various pictures (I just re-forwarded the e-mail I sent with my attachments). The pictures of the bowler that I won from you is picture number 174. It was the clearest zipper picture I could take with my camera. You can see that it clearly does not say "riri" with "m4" below it, as it should read.

I would like to return the bowler right away, and be refunded as I will be going away for the holidays. Please let me know where I can send this to. I will send it using Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, and will forward the tracking number. I can mail it back as early as tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.
Susan"

Then, when I re-read her e-mail, I added this note, with cut/pasted pictures of the zippers:

"In case you can't access my files, the pictures are pasted below. And, of course, the handbag is the same that you sent me. I am an honest eBayer, and would never pull a "bait and switch". I've been on eBay for a long time, since 1999, and my feedback has been 100% ever since then. This is the first time I have ever had to ask someone for a refund.

As soon as my refund has been issued after I send the bag back, I will still leave you positive feedback since you seem to be willing to work with me on this.

I've cut and pasted three pictures of the inner zipper of the bowler I won from you. Let me know if you can't see them."

Am I being stupid?

SuLi,

Hey ok she is responding and offering to refund you. (my seller basically said it was my problem!) Hang in there and be patient and definitely polite to her. don't want to piss her off even though you are the one dealing with it.

You're doing well with the letters and sending her pictures. see if you can get a resolution with her.

If she pulls the bait and switch thing, then ask her where she got the bag from.

If she (or her client - if she is a upscale reseller) actuallly bought the bag from MJ or Neiman,SAKs etc, the store will have a record of the transaction. Ask her which store she bought it from and what name it was bought under and approximate time frame. even if she doesn't have the receipt, the store will be able to verify it was bought there. i think getting her to write this information to you in a message is good so you have backup proof about her potentially bogus purchase from MJ. And you can't possibly do a bait and switch on a fake bag?!

I do think she might come back at you with the fact that the tags were cut off but as u said to her you are willing to take $20 off the purchase price. and that really isn't the point. the point is that it's a fake and she offered a full $ guarantee. and it's a crime to sell the fake.

I think u will get ur $$ back, at the most u just have to get mypoupette or caroldiva to write a letter.

just hang in there!! we are all behind u ! B

Susan, please don't put yourself down, you are not stupid at all. Hugs~ Other members thought your bowler is real, there are super fakes out there.

You have handled this situation very..very nicely, many people would have lost it by now. Wait for the seller's response to your pictures and go from there.

We are all here for you. {{{Susan}}}

Am I being stupid?

Suli I don't think you are being stupid at all! It is very smart of you to document this in an honest and thorough manner. One thing I would do is print out every email you've sent to her and she's sent to you and also log the days and times that you sent and recieved communications. This will help if at some point you have to prove your version of events is the accurate one.

Unfortunately I think she sounds really fishy and may be trying to set you up for an accusation of bait and switch. I mean, she's already definitely lied to you in saying that she purchased the bag at an MJ boutique. While she herself could have been duped by an online retailer or other ebayer, there is no way she bought a bag with that zipper at an MJ store. So if she's willing to lie about that, who knows what else she will say...

However, if you continue in the same vein that you have (being firm & no-nonsense, but also polite) I think she will decide it's not worth it to mess with you and will just cut her losses and refund your money.

Good luck - I really hope this works out for you...

SuLi-
You are definitely NOT being stupid! You are doing exactly what you should be doing, and I am impressed that you are handling this with integrity and honesty.
You can't control what the seller does, and as long as you know you're in the "right" that's all you can do. She would be stupid not to give you a refund at this point. Her claim that she purchased the bag an MJ boutique is ludicrous, since obviously it is fake.
Hang in there! This is super frustrating, but you are doing the right thing. In a week you'll have your money back and that awful bag will be out of your life forever! :yahoo:

I wouldn't believe her about where she purchased it, it's most unlikely at this point that she bought that bowler from an authorized retailer with that zipper. You've documented all your communication with her thus far, and this thread can be used as evidence too. You're handling this situation very well, don't let that seller's ignorance get to you. Continue to be level headed about this and be firm in your emails. As long as she sees that you are willing to work with her, she will continue the same and hopefully resolve this matter promptly and without problems. You are NOT stupid at all, it's not your fault that she's not reading your emails thoroughly.

SuLi, I think you are handling this so well!!!!! Your e-mails are written perfectly and are the perfect balance of diplomacy and firmness. My fingers are crossed that all of this works out for you and you get your refund!!!! I can't believe how good the fakes are now...*sigh*...

Have you looked into finding an authentic one at one of the department stores? Or have you been too busy dealing with this issue?

Have you looked into finding an authentic one at one of the department stores? Or have you been too busy dealing with this issue?

I've been too busy dealing with this right now. I can't even think about calling a MJ store to get one. Although the bowler was a steal at $399, I'm so still out $399 until I get the money back. Plus, it's the holiday season right now, so I can't justify spending nearly $1000 right now.

I think the bowler may be something that I'll just have to let go at this point.

Thanks again everyone for your support. I really appreciate it.

SuLi.. first of all- im sooo sorry about your problem. But I wanted to let you know that I unknowingly bought a fake bag once and the seller said the same kind of things to me. She did however, jump at the chance to give my money back once I offered to turn her over to paypal/ ebay.

It will all work out- it can't not. You are protected by ebay regulations and paypals guarantee. Even if it takes a while you will get your money back.

Good luck:yes: