Workplace I need a flexible side job

Nov 30, 2008
I've been having a really hard time coming up with some way to make extra money and to fill my time because I'm limited in what I can do so hoping I can get some different ideas and brainstorming from others here.

I am currently employed full time, work from my home office but my job can be very slow at times. Many days I have about 1/2 a day I sit and do nothing because work is just slow. I need something else to supplement my job with, but it needs to be something I can do from home or limited time out as I work for an employer so I can't just up and leave all the time. I am also really limited in working evenings since thats the only time I see my boyfriend and although I do have some more free time on weekends, I still have other responsibilities and a social life to account for so its hard to commit to 8 hours a day for instance that would be required for retail, restaurant, etc. work.

I've tried things like blogging and setting up websites that I can earn advertising money from, but those sites like google ads have really cracked down on who they are approving and I could never get approved since my sites weren't unique enough. I've also looked into drop shipping products on eBay but the market is so saturated with so many of those people Im not sure there is any money in that either. Plus I couldn't think of anything to sell.

Lastly Ive tried to see what I can do with my hobbies and interests, but nothing comes to mind either that I can do on my own. My interests include the beach and coastal living, shopping, travel, gardening, cooking and decorating my home. Things like uber.com are out since I need something I can do around my current job and mostly at home. I also have a real estate license but again its one of those things that I have so many friends in the business full time, our social network is overrun with them so it would be hard pressed to get any business, plus the large amount of money it takes to get re-started.

Anyone have any other ideas? What do you all do for side money?

I'm not sure if you would have an interest, but where I live (Silicon Valley/San Jose, CA) there's a company called TaskRabbit, where folks can be hired for various 'odd' jobs like running errands or picking up items at the store for example. I also see a lot of posts on NextDoor (not sure if it's available where you are) - which is a social media site for neighborhoods - where people ask for 'mommys-helpers' and a helping hand with misc projects like organizing and packing a home for moving and such. Good luck to you!!

You could always try network marketing for a product that interests you. Gone are the days of Tupperware parties in your home, most things are now done online.

I sell textbooks on amazon and car tires on craigslist! Whatever I can put my hands on and I'm always surprised people buy my things haha so I'm trying to expand my little empire.
(I signed up for TaskRabbit once when I wanted to make some side money, I don't have anything good to say about that but that was in like 2013).

I would suggest looking into Pearson or ETS. Both are companies that offer online scoring opportunities, Pearson is very flexible and you pretty much work whenever you want (as long as it is between 6am-1am) and you work at least 20 hours/week and with ETS you work scheduled shifts, but only shifts you indicate you are open for. Each pay a pretty fair rate for a work at home opportunity that is not very stressful. I worked virtual office for several years and worked both of these as side jobs, not always at the same time, and often added at least $500 to my monthly income.

Have you tried a home travel business? I did that on the side and made thousands of dollars in a month and some months a few hundred but it was fun. There are some credible ones out there and the one I went with had super support and paid timely. Plus you get offers for trips at a drastically reduced rate. The commissions were insanely good.

I would look at Needle.com - they are a company that provides online customer service chat support for retailers (Coach, Overstock, lots of others) You work as a 1099 independent contractor from your own computer, set your own hours, get paid weekly. Interview, training, everything is done completely online. No real cost involved, you just need to have internet access & a good computer. Typing & customer service skills, as well as some product knowledge of the brand you want to represent are a big plus. They train you on everything you need, though. I worked for them as a chat rep for Coach for a few years. It was a nice side gig. Pay varied depending on how many hours you do & how busy it was, but there were times when I made more there than at my full-time job.
https://pincushion.needle.com/needlers/welcome/?_ga=1.167605243.431620936.1458862730

I believe Nordstrom also uses work-from-home online chat representatives, but they provide you with the software & maybe even the computer. I have not done that personally, but I know one of the ladies I worked with at Coach left to work for them.

Last edited: