How Would You Remind A Friend They Owe You Money ?

My friends usually remember, but its small stuff like if they forget their wallet and we're eating dinner etc. I'll usually just let it go if they forget, but if its substantial I'd mention it casually.

I wouldn't consider it a loan, it would have to be a gift. Every time I've lent a friend money, I never got it back. If I have it to lend, I just give it and spare myself the disappointment of knowing I'll never see it again!
Lorri

SwankyMamaof3 said:
You never loan someone you care about money.

At least don't consider it a loan, if they pay it back, great!
I've seen TOO many friendships end over this very thing.

Yes, a close friend of mine and I don't even talk anymore because of a money loaning situation. I've learned the hard way...just..NO.

i don't ever loan anyone money. i guess it's because no one's ever asked me. actually, the only person i ever really loaned money to is my husband. lol. for his motorcycle and car hobbies. but i don't mind because he always ends up paying me back double. he's so sweet. i wouldn't know how to ask someone for my money back. it'd just feel so awkward.

I loan money to family, only b/c i don't expect them to pay me back:amuse: . If it's less than $100, i'll loan it to my friends (cuz if they "forget" to pay back, it's not much to worry. More than that, i'd have to reconsider. heheheh...

It depends on the amount. Small (say less than $50), sure to friends and family alike.
Big (>$100), very close friends only and my dad (I don't say family because I don't have any close family per-se).

I don't consider picking up the lunch/drinks tab a loan, particularly if its with people I go out often with, because it's a case of your turn/my turn.

If I have to remind someone, I'll do it as graciously as possible if they haven't mentionned it in a long while (say, about a month after they said they'd pay it back).

I would definately remind the friend. I've had friends in the past who borrowed money never to return it. I've even had friends who borrowed money and got mad when I reminded them. (I use the word friend loosely). Needless to say, I don't loan money to people anymore.

oooh! Same here. I don't loan money to friends anymore. It's too difficult and awkward. If they are really in a bind, then I give it to them. If they want to pay me back, fine, but I don't expect it. As far as family, I just give them the money.

Otherwise, you lose the money and the friend, but if that was a friend, maybe they weren't such a good friend.

I don't believe in lending large amounts of money to friends/family--I think it can cause unnecessary stress to the relationship. I'm ok with lending smaller amounts of money--probably up to $50, like if you were spotting them their share of a joint gift or so they could get something on sale and they didn't have their cc or hadn't gotten paid yet.

Luckily, I've got great friends who always remember that they've borrowed money. I think once I just said something about "Hey--could I get back that $X so I can pick up this thing I wanted?" It totally went over really well... I think knowing that I had a specific plan for the money owed helped!

I hate lending people money, but when a friend asks me - it's hard for me to say no. Thankfully, I don't get asked often. But the last time someone borrowed money from me, it was $400 and they had said they would pay me back in a couple of weeks. After about 6 weeks, I brought it up saying that when would they be able to pay me back, because I needed to make a student loan payment and needed the money to do so. If you tell them you need the money for something else, like paying a bill or something it kind of makes it more comfortable.
But yeah in general - lending money is not a good idea, especially if you are shy about asking for it back