How much did your wedding cost?

we were married at the JOP and had a celebration party a week later I'd say it all cost about only 500 bucks :lol:
I've never been into the whole big crazy wedding thing, and I just think they are too expensive. I don't like 100 of my family members to pay $20-30 a plate for them, hell there aren't even 20 of them that I like that much :lol:

I am not a big wedding person. I find it such a waste of money. When you think about it, it really is a party for everyone else. Have you seen Bridzillas? It is the most nerve wracking day in someones life. It turns nice people not so nice.

My sister got married and it was just ridiculous. Her wedding cost roughly $50K in 2003. I told her she should of taken the money and go on a trip around the world for that kind of money.

Also I wouldn't spend a lot of money because the divorce rate is high. I also don't get why parents spend so much money on Sweet 16 parties either. What's going to happen when reality bites those kids in the ass down the road and they have to find jobs??

Now with that said, I think I will go into party planning and capitalize on peoples stupidity. :groucho:

My sister got married and it was just ridiculous. Her wedding cost roughly $50K in 2003. I told her she should of taken the money and go on a trip around the world for that kind of money.

LOL, I know just what you mean...DH's sisters was outrageous (the one she had, not to mention the one she cancelled 5 days before the date, whole other story)...I would say close to 100k for the one that she actually had, plus about 20-25 k for all the blown deposits, dress etc. for the cancelled one.

DH and I always exchange a look and :rolleyes: when ever she brings up that they just can't afford the down payment for a house... and asks how did we did it? "I can't believe you guys bought your big house, in the bay area, no less, less than 3 months after you were married!" We just:shrugs:.

First wedding was in 1983; cost was about $125,000. Ended in divorce shortly after.

Second wedding was in 1994; cost $45. Been married and having a ball every since.

ahh I dont begrudge anybody spending alot of money on their weddings. Its completely up to the individual and what may feel like a waste of money to many, is never a waste to the people who organised it, who will treasure the memeries forever. Ofcourse, it doesnt mean that the wedding will be better because more money has been spent, I truly believe it is having the people who love you the most there that is the most important thing.

Mine was mid range, it cost 15,000 great british pounds, but that was 13 years ago (next month!), and we paid for it entirely by ourselves. We managed it by just paying off a different thing every month for a year, and I dont think anything was really really outrageously expensive, we just knew that this was going to be it for us, it was not going to be something that either of us was going to do again, so I wanted to feel princessy for the day, without feeling that we were completely wasting money.

a wee piccie here, ahhh I still think back to that day and love every second of it :yes::heart:

DSC01277.jpg

$800 bucks in Vegas:crybaby:But really.... no worries. :biggrin: I'm planning on walking down the aisle for the second time with DH. Only this time, It'd be on a real church with no crappy plastic flowers and strangers as your witnesses... :P

ladies, i'm curious, how did you guys finance your wedding especially those that had the big wedding that ran over $10K?

Believe me, I was one of those people that thought it was ridiculous to spend over $10k too...until I started planning my wedding and there wasn't a venue that would serve my wedding on a Saturday night for less than $150/pp! I remember being aghast at how much a wedding was to put together...especially since we knew we were paying it ourselves. I was never a girl who planned my wedding day as a kid, so I had no clue about anything. Luckily both my husband and I had great jobs and owned our own homes when we were engaged, so we had the cash upfront to pay for the wedding before our we got our cash gifts. (We actually put most on our CCs to rack up reward points.) But even if we didn't get enough cash to pay off the wedding, we were in decent financial standing to pay it all off if necessary.

Lorihmatthews - wasn't Moorea/BB divine? We actually booked our vacation through Starwood - got 25% off due to our SPG status. In Bora Bora, that just meant our $1200/night overwater bungalow room was $900/night - which is still absurd, of course, but we figured now would be the only time in our lives to justify such an expensive vacation!

Thank you everyone for such kind comments on my wedding. :P

Married in 01 New Orleans and probably missing something, but it was approx 13-15k:
Dress, veil, gloves, shoes: $1000
Favors(MIL made fabric fortune cookies): approx $50
Church: $200 donation
Reception for 300: $7000
Flowers: $500
Photograper: $1200
Videographer: $300
Wedding party gifts: $600
Make up, hair: free to wonderfully talented friends
Rings, honeymoon, etc: too much!

We're planning our wedding now (it will be this summer, the exact date is a secret though ;) ). We aren't going to be married in a church, so those costs will take away a lot and it will just be for family and close friends.

So far, this is what we've got:

Dress: 150 EUR
Food: We are having a grill party with pot-luck, so all we really have to buy is the gas tank and the meat for burgers and stuff, so we're figuring around 200 EUR for that.
Music: Our stereo system - 0 EUR.
Wine & Beer: ca. 200 EUR
Courthouse Costs: around 100 EUR
Translator Costs (for Bart's mother at the courthouse) 50 EUR.
Invitations to the BBQ and Thank you cards: 50 EUR

So all in all, our wedding is coming up to around..750 - 800 EUR :smile:

First wedding was in 1983; cost was about $125,000. Ended in divorce shortly after.

Second wedding was in 1994; cost $45. Been married and having a ball every since.

Yikes, that must have been a helluva wedding!! Sorry it didn't work out though.

Wonder if there's some sort of corrilation between expensive weddings and those that end in separation?

i've been given a budget by my fiancee of £100,000, and the more i think about it, the less i want to spend so much money on the wedding, even if we do have it to spend, it seems a bit extravagant to me!

I am getting married in August and we have set our budget to $5000. We are having a very small wedding (6 guests) but are traveling to have our wedding. We didn't want to go too crazy on a costly wedding because we'd rather put that money towards a new house. :smile: